The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-21-2016 07:36 AM
72 123
tools
    Like the title says, has anyone here replaced the glass screen/digitizer combo with out the LCD? Its a lot cheaper ($50-$60 versus $220+) and my lcd is fine.

I have disassembled many phones for repair so that part doesn't scare me, what worries me is no pictures/videos of anyone prying off the glass.

12-18-2014 12:59 AM
    I remove succefully the digitizer from my
    Nokia 1520, but when test the new digitizer dont work I all ready try with 4 digitizer and check all flex and conections and I try with hard reset and still dont work, if some one can help with this issue i apresiate. alex.on1122g.m.a.i.l.
    12-18-2014 01:18 AM
    Do you know that for wp 8.1 you need original (OEM) digitizers. There are several threads which report that non original will not work.
    Which one's are you using.
    12-18-2014 01:49 AM
    Hey were you ever able to get digitizer/touch screen working? And where is best place to buy screen n digitizer for 1520.
    PLEASE get back to me
    01-27-2015 06:04 PM
    Where do you get original oem/digitizer
    01-27-2015 06:06 PM
    There are 3 layers, an outer glass lens ($5) a digitizer (I bought both for $50) and an LCD. If your phone fully responds the touch it isn't too hard to repair just the glass lens, however I wouldn't recommend attempting to remove both the digitizer and the glass from the LCD.

The glass is easily removed with a heat gun and very thin wire, however the digitizer is like egg shell, the glue holding it onto the LCD is extremely strong, the distance between the LCD and digitizer is tiny, and the polarizing film on the lcd is easily warped by heat.

This means that wire constantly pops out when you try to get under it, and your only hope is taking something like a razor blade and chipping away from underneath the digitizer for several hours until it's all gone, and then removing the cable that attaches to the frame on the inside.

After finding the digitizer hard to get under, I made the mistake of accidentally going one layer deeper, removing the polarizing filter and causing minor damage to the LCD itself (It still showed a display after replacing the polarizing filter but there were pink lines coming down the screen in several areas due to the pressure)

It can be done, but it is more practical to replace just the glass, or the entire LCD assembly. Just thought I should let everyone know after heavily researching and then trying it for myself.
    02-09-2015 01:39 AM
    I love thaat mobile-"!
    02-09-2015 04:59 AM
    did you try using the old digitizer?
    02-25-2015 11:13 PM

The glass is easily removed with a heat gun and very thin wire, however the digitizer is like egg shell, the glue holding it onto the LCD is extremely strong, the distance between the LCD and digitizer is tiny, and the polarizing film on the lcd is easily warped by heat.
    ​So the digitizer is glued to the display rather than the glass and you can remove the glass just by heating and using a thin wire? When removing the glass is the digitizer easily damaged, any tips for removing it without hitting the digitizer (where to start/guide wire etc.)?

​I'm sure this info would be extremely helpful to the people that have cracked their 1520 screens.
    bo_woods likes this.
    02-26-2015 12:11 AM
    ​So the digitizer is glued to the display rather than the glass and you can remove the glass just by heating and using a thin wire? When removing the glass is the digitizer easily damaged, any tips for removing it without hitting the digitizer (where to start/guide wire etc.)?

​I'm sure this info would be extremely helpful to the people that have cracked their 1520 screens.
    This would also be very helpful to me too!! it would be great to know I can replace just the glass.....Tjundis??
    03-04-2015 08:37 PM

have u tried this or figured this out yet??
    03-04-2015 09:51 PM
    My experience with this is a bit different. Using a standard screen separator machine I always get the separation between digitizer and LCD. The digitizer has ALWAYS been attached to the glass. While it can usually keep the digitizer intact for the most part, Tjundis described it excellently. It is eggshell thin and even heating the glass/digitizer up to 100c (which will cook the LCD if it's still attached) I have never got it off intact.

Also because of this thin nature the Glass/Digitizer tends to gouge the LCD which is very thin itself. I have had more than a few that the only thing keeping the LCD working was the glass holding the connections together because it was shattered by the same impact that broke the glass (this always manifests when the crack is at the top). The glass-only non-digitizer option has never panned out with my equipment and in my experience.

All this said, I tell my customers we will quote the repair as a Glass/Digitizer + LCD replacement and if we get lucky and the LCD is salvageable they will get the cheaper bill. To do otherwise is a disservice.
    Last edited by ScrubbyXD; 04-20-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    gordonfink likes this.
    04-20-2015 07:06 PM
    I also separated digitizer in my L1520 but i need original digitizer. Original digitizer Have Synaptics chipset !! Digitizer with synaptics chipset only will work correctly, ONLY !

So... Who knows Where find original part ? Many auctions have fake digitizer photos. (I became convinced about it personally).

At the bottom are photos of the original digitizer

images67.fotosik.pl/851/62937165b30c3c99.jpg
    images66.fotosik.pl/851/7a901704ca4ef412.jpg
    05-01-2015 12:05 PM
    I have been getting then from nypc-tech on ebay. Just send a note with your order that you want the Synaptics Chipset. they have them.
    avchdman55 likes this.
    05-01-2015 02:13 PM
    Would it benefit anyone If I started a "known good" parts supplier list thread?
    avchdman55 likes this.
    05-01-2015 02:14 PM
    how do I get the black frame off the back of the lcd assembly so I can remove the metal shield and expose the back of the lcd? there are hollow screws that you have to take off? what do you use?

is that how you guys take the whole assembly apart to then remove the glass/digitizer? or do you guys do it from the front instead? if so, how do you get it off within pulling the lcd and breaking it? it would seem to me that pulling on it up to fit the thin string or thin razor would be enough to rip it

also ScrubbyXD, so for sure those digitizers from that supplier work with 8.1? id rather take the digitizer off and replace it all glued together with the glass instead of messing with that liquid adhesive
    05-11-2015 05:24 PM
    I separate the LCD/Glass/Digitizer from the frame before separating. You CAN remove the Glass/Digitizer while still in the frame but you run the risk of damaging the rubber. There are good and bad things about doing it either way. One thing is for sure, if you plan on removing the LCD from the frame do so with the Glass/Digitizer still attached to give it extra rigidity. The supplier I gave does have Glass/Digitizer with a synaptics chipset, but I'd always advise sending a note with your order.

In the end this repair (not always successful due to reasons I have posted before) will require you to glue the Glass/Digitizer to the LCD. My offer for WC forum members still stands, if your in the US and want to send me your phone and a screen assembly/frame I will do the switch for you for free and send it back.
    GrayW0lf and avchdman55 like this.
    05-11-2015 08:10 PM
    There are a couple of excellent videos on how to disassemble the 1520 to replace the whole screen assembly out on Youtube. It's not too bad, but I did find that the replacement assembly that I bought for my previous 1520 was sub-standard (backlight bleed, the glass became unglued from the digitizer down the long sides of the phone which allowed white light to leak out) so I returned it to the seller. After reading about several bad experiences with third party sellers providing substandard parts, I just replaced the phone for $250 via eBay.

Good luck to you on your repair journey!
    05-11-2015 08:14 PM
    I separate the LCD/Glass/Digitizer from the frame before separating. You CAN remove the Glass/Digitizer while still in the frame but you run the risk of damaging the rubber. There are good and bad things about doing it either way. One thing is for sure, if you plan on removing the LCD from the frame do so with the Glass/Digitizer still attached to give it extra rigidity. The supplier I gave does have Glass/Digitizer with a synaptics chipset, but I'd always advise sending a note with your order.

In the end this repair (not always successful due to reasons I have posted before) will require you to glue the Glass/Digitizer to the LCD. My offer for WC forum members still stands, if your in the US and want to send me your phone and a screen assembly/frame I will do the switch for you for free and send it back.
    When you detached the 1520 glass+digitizer from the frame were you able to successfully put it back?
    05-11-2015 08:25 PM
    When you detached the 1520 glass+digitizer from the frame were you able to successfully put it back?
    Yes

I described two ways of doing the job. Obviously doing the Glass/Digitizer separation from the LCD while the LCD is still in the frame is easier but also delivers poor aesthetic results. While removing the LCD/Glass/Digitizer from the frame gives like new results at the cost of much more labor and incidentally much more risk of damage. It's all about the pros and cons but in the end you may still end up with a broken LCD under there for reasons described in previous posts.
    05-11-2015 08:43 PM
    Yes

I described two ways of doing the job. Obviously doing the Glass/Digitizer separation from the LCD while the LCD is still in the frame is easier but also delivers poor aesthetic results. While removing the LCD/Glass/Digitizer from the frame gives like new results at the cost of much more labor and incidentally much more risk of damage. It's all about the pros and cons but in the end you may still end up with a broken LCD under there for reasons described in previous posts.
    Man I wish these phones were easier to repair... Would love to know that a broken screen can be fixed with just a $50 glass+ digitizer combo swap
    05-11-2015 10:01 PM

thanks for the great info. I just want to know one more thing. my goal is to take the glass/digitizer/lcd all out of the frame together, then work on it from there. I do not want to separate the glass/digitizer while its still in the frame. how do I do that? does the frame actually come apart for me to be able to do that? or do I have to use flat and thin tools to break up the adhesive that makes it stick on that square copper strips under the lcd from behind?
    05-12-2015 02:38 AM
    Yes

So ypull only do a Full assembly repair for a 1520? Not a glass+digitizer one?
    05-12-2015 08:11 AM
    thanks for the great info. I just want to know one more thing. my goal is to take the glass/digitizer/lcd all out of the frame together, then work on it from there. I do not want to separate the glass/digitizer while its still in the frame. how do I do that? does the frame actually come apart for me to be able to do that? or do I have to use flat and thin tools to break up the adhesive that makes it stick on that square copper strips under the lcd from behind?
    Yes use a plastic pick or spudger to remove the tape adhesives from the tip and bottom, then work slowly up the back with a thin metal tool separating the copper from the LCD. If you slip towards the top you can easily destroy the circuitry on the back. If you go to fast and bend it you can break the LCD.
    avchdman55 likes this.
    05-12-2015 11:05 AM
    So ypull only do a Full assembly repair for a 1520? Not a glass+digitizer one?
    The LCD is too fragile to make any promises about it making it through the process. Too many times I have had a perfectly fine looking LCD end up being broken after the rigidity of the glue and glass stop holding it tightly together.
    05-12-2015 11:10 AM
72 123