Might switch over 2 lines to AT&T for 1520 &1020.......Have some questions about AT&T network??

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Might switch over 2 lines to AT&T for 1520 &1020.......Have some questions about AT&T network??

Yeah your right, I think the 1520 is future proof for at least the next 18 months hopefully? On the 1020 front, yeah I don't know if it'll be slow in another 18mo compared to the successor or not? I think the camera will be relevant for a long time to come, but as long as the OS doesn't get slower over time with updates then she might be ok with the phone itself for at least 18mo?

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Might switch over 2 lines to AT&T for 1520 &1020.......Have some questions about AT&T network??

The 1520 is solid. I have it on contract with at&t. I haven't been to Denver for years to I can't say what the at&t network is like out there. You also have to take into account the at&t network is more popular than TMobile which in the US means more iphones swarming on the thing. Having said that I have never gotten an at&t speed test below 20 Mbps... till today! I got 13.91 down and 14.74 up! I am in BFE New England at the moment for work. Usually my speeds are in the 20 something Mbps range. I have no problems streaming video or surfing the web.

Networks are a funny thing. Overall the at&t network is fast and has good coverage, but that doesn't mean local anomalies don't occur. On network alone I say at&t>>T-mobile. But if at&t doesn't work for you locally that is of little consolation.

If you aren't signing a contract you may want to just buy and if it doesn't work for you return. I mean if you have hard objective evidence such as speed tests to back up your decision I can't imagine you not being able to return the phone for a full refund. I personally use an app called network speed test. It's a Microsoft app.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

Around the Boston metro area, I consistently find T-mo, at least in the places where there's coverage, to be faster than both Verizon and ATT. Can't beat Verizon's coverage, and you can't beat ATT's arrogance, but if T Mo is a viable option, they're consistently faster and cheaper than the competition.

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

The 1520 is solid. I have it on contract with at&t. I haven't been to Denver for years to I can't say what the at&t network is like out there. You also have to take into account the at&t network is more popular than TMobile which in the US means more iphones swarming on the thing. Having said that I have never gotten an at&t speed test below 20 Mbps... till today! I got 13.91 down and 14.74 up! I am in BFE New England at the moment for work. Usually my speeds are in the 20 something Mbps range. I have no problems streaming video or surfing the web.

Networks are a funny thing. Overall the at&t network is fast and has good coverage, but that doesn't mean local anomalies don't occur. On network alone I say at&t>>T-mobile. But if at&t doesn't work for you locally that is of little consolation.

If you aren't signing a contract you may want to just buy and if it doesn't work for you return. I mean if you have hard objective evidence such as speed tests to back up your decision I can't imagine you not being able to return the phone for a full refund. I personally use an app called network speed test. It's a Microsoft app.

I understand that T-Mobile is in fourth place subscriber wise (approx. 46 million subs compared to AT&T 109 million I think?) that's why I agree with you that AT&T more than likely has more subscribers here in Denver. If they are operating the same amount of spectrum (10x10?) although on different frequencies that would attribute to T-Mobile having the faster connection here in Denver (less people on their pipeline).

I guess that's an option as well if I buy the phone at the store, then I could return it if I'm not having the best speeds where I travel to within the city. What's the return policy on buying the phone outright at the store then returning it within the return window and cancelling service worst case scenario?

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Around the Boston metro area, I consistently find T-mo, at least in the places where there's coverage, to be faster than both Verizon and ATT. Can't beat Verizon's coverage, and you can't beat ATT's arrogance, but if T Mo is a viable option, they're consistently faster and cheaper than the competition.

I agree with you, there is no doubt that T-Mobile has a blazing fast network, I just wish they had a wider selection of WP models (1520) to choose from. There are also some minor coverage issues that we are dealing with as well, but nothing major. If I don't switch over by the end of the month with the 1520, then maybe the stars will align and they will announce the 1520 coming to T-Mobile with 8.1 installed??? Or maybe I'm just dreaming.......

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

Also it is not redundant. Both of the apps mentioned use different servers. That's the point of it, to provide a different server pool to help eliminate issues caused by a busy test server.

A limitation in the busy test server would show up on both devices. Why stop at just two apps? Why not test out 10? too many? Well, 3 is better than 2...so you have to at least do 3.

When does the madness stop! haha

A 30 second app install followed by 2-3 minutes of app usage is too much time for a salesman to spend with a customer?

It should provide a more accurate result than using just a single point of data.

I guess as long as you can keep them under the impression that he's buying something, which he's pulled off multiple times so far, but its all YMMV.

It should provide a more accurate result than using just a single point of data.

There you go...just tell him "but your ad says 'MORE IS BETTER'....so you need to listen to me and install allllll the apps I tell you to install. Here, lets just start with this one.' :devil:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I agree with you, there is no doubt that T-Mobile has a blazing fast network, I just wish they had a wider selection of WP models (1520) to choose from. There are also some minor coverage issues that we are dealing with as well, but nothing major. If I don't switch over by the end of the month with the 1520, then maybe the stars will align and they will announce the 1520 coming to T-Mobile with 8.1 installed??? Or maybe I'm just dreaming.......

So...just a thought...but lets just put it out on paper. What are the downsides to switching TODAY to AT&T? (Or as soon as you got two phones from Craigslist).

Say you go out and buy those phones...$450 for the 1520 and $300 for the 1020. In 3 months time (to get your $100) you have realized you really don't like AT&T...what have you lost? You sell the phones for $350 and $200 since they are another quarter of a year older... So you are 'out' your $100 that you saved by switching AND the time to go buy Craigslist phones.

​Would you save any money on the plan costs? That could sweeten the pot... You could also hold off on getting one of the phones for a month to see if you like the service and just get a 520 in the mean time to save costs.

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Hello,

I am currently with T-Mobile and am thinking of switching over to AT&T for the 1520 for myself and the 1020 for my wife. I've done what seems like endless hours of research on the phone(s) here on WP Central and watching YouTube reviews. I've come to the conclusion that I would love to switch over to the WP8 platform and ride out hopefully the good news with 8.1 here in less than a month! I hope this is the right forum to post this in as I am going to get the 1520 for my personal phone.

My concerns are with the AT&T network. I have went to 5 different AT&T locations here in the Denver Metropolitan area and have been disappointed with the data speeds I have seen with doing a speed test on the phone. I am seeing an average of 4-5 Mbps on the down link and 2 Mbps on the up link side! Now T-Mobile isn't perfect and they have some coverage issues within certain parts of the city, but when you are in their LTE areas their signal is averaging 25-35 Mbps on the down link and 10-15ish on the uplink side. Does anybody here know what Denver operates on as far as the amount of current spectrum that AT&T operates their network here with (10x10, 15x15?) The employees and the stores just look at me with a blank stare when I ask them how much spectrum the network operates on here in town. If T-Mobile had access to the 1520/1020 I'd probably just stay put where I'm at currently, but they don't and I don't want to go the route of getting the RM-938 because I use tethering with my plan.

I think by now some of the employees at the stores are tired of seeing me go in and play with the phone to make sure the size and apps etc.....are going to be what I can live with on a daily basis lol. I just don't take this lightly when I'm going to pay out of pocket for 2 phones up front and port over our numbers to AT&T. So the only thing now holding up my decision to get the phones is the network speeds in town. If anybody local here could chime in that would be awesome!!

Thx guys,
Hoping to join the WP community soon
This my first post and definitely won't be my last as I probably will have a ton of questions that need to be answered by the community.

Okay, I need to ask. When you are doing the speed tests, you're using the display devices in the store right? I hate to ask to obvious, but are you making sure that Wi-Fi is off? In-store Wi-Fi at AT&T stores is notoriously crowded. That's the first thing I would verify.

Next, depending on the time of day you are doing this, you are going to see wild variances in throughput. I'm in the Sacramento, CA area and the network is solid. During peak usage hours, my speeds are typically mid-7Mbps. Off-peak, I'm flying, 30Mbps-plus.

Ask a rep to show you the geo-link coverage. The real engineering coverage map in your area. There are two versions, one they can show customers, another they cannot.

One thing you can do, is activate a new line, try it out, and if you don't like it, you have two weeks to return and be free and clear. Yes, there will be a $35 restocking fee, but that's better than feeling stuck after buying $1000 in phones and accessories with service you don't like.

If you decide you like it, then port your numbers over, deactivate the "new" line. Reps in the store should be able to handle that easily since it is not an uncommon occurrence. Also ask them if they have the big T-Mo port promo going on. That will save you a few hundred dollars for sure.

Here's a screen shot from my 1530 showing the speeds I've had the past few times I've tried. I'm perfectly happy with this performance.

WP_20140319.png

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

A limitation in the busy test server would show up on both devices. Why stop at just two apps? Why not test out 10? too many? Well, 3 is better than 2...so you have to at least do 3.

When does the madness stop! haha

I guess as long as you can keep them under the impression that he's buying something, which he's pulled off multiple times so far, but its all YMMV.

There you go...just tell him "but your ad says 'MORE IS BETTER'....so you need to listen to me and install allllll the apps I tell you to install. Here, lets just start with this one.' :devil:
Instead of attempting to be a second-rate comedian why not read what I said?

The speedtest.net app and the Network Speed Test app use completely different servers.

Having the employee run tests on both apps assures that you're getting more balanced results.

You can run into a scenario where a specific test server is busy and gives a lower result. By using both apps (which use completely different servers) you can help eliminate that issue.

The remaining issue is tower crowding. If you're getting low results in an area that shows full coverage using both apps then it likely means they don't have enough infrastructure in the area to handle the user load.

Then again I've only worked at one of the major wireless companies in the past and have worked on projects at MS either consulting or as a contractor on campus for 15 years now (and this includes Windows Phone stuff).

I likely know nothing about test methodologies as regards network troubleshooting right?

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

So...just a thought...but lets just put it out on paper. What are the downsides to switching TODAY to AT&T? (Or as soon as you got two phones from Craigslist).

Say you go out and buy those phones...$450 for the 1520 and $300 for the 1020. In 3 months time (to get your $100) you have realized you really don't like AT&T...what have you lost? You sell the phones for $350 and $200 since they are another quarter of a year older... So you are 'out' your $100 that you saved by switching AND the time to go buy Craigslist phones.

​Would you save any money on the plan costs? That could sweeten the pot... You could also hold off on getting one of the phones for a month to see if you like the service and just get a 520 in the mean time to save costs.

Yeah I've thought about this scenario over the last couple of weeks. I would actually see a $200 credit in a couple months time for activating 2 new lines which makes the numbers look even better if I decide to jump back to t-mobile. In the scenario you printed above I would nearly break even with the $200 credit.....

On the plan price we would pay an additional $20 month for the 10gb plan shared between 2 phones. Similar to T-Mobile next tier up from where we are currently at, we each have 3gb per line. Our bill now is $100.68 every month, with the same discount applied to the AT&T plan we would be at $117+ taxes

I have until March 31st before the $100 port in credit promotion ends, so either way I'll have my mind made up within the next week.

Thx for the breakdown it helps me look at it from another perspective.

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Okay, I need to ask. When you are doing the speed tests, you're using the display devices in the store right? I hate to ask to obvious, but are you making sure that Wi-Fi is off? In-store Wi-Fi at AT&T stores is notoriously crowded. That's the first thing I would verify.

Next, depending on the time of day you are doing this, you are going to see wild variances in throughput. I'm in the Sacramento, CA area and the network is solid. During peak usage hours, my speeds are typically mid-7Mbps. Off-peak, I'm flying, 30Mbps-plus.

Ask a rep to show you the geo-link coverage. The real engineering coverage map in your area. There are two versions, one they can show customers, another they cannot.

One thing you can do, is activate a new line, try it out, and if you don't like it, you have two weeks to return and be free and clear. Yes, there will be a $35 restocking fee, but that's better than feeling stuck after buying $1000 in phones and accessories with service you don't like.

If you decide you like it, then port your numbers over, deactivate the "new" line. Reps in the store should be able to handle that easily since it is not an uncommon occurrence. Also ask them if they have the big T-Mo port promo going on. That will save you a few hundred dollars for sure.

Here's a screen shot from my 1530 showing the speeds I've had the past few times I've tried. I'm perfectly happy with this performance.

View attachment 59910

Yes that's the first thing I do is go into settings and deactivate the WiFi which 95% of the time I've encountered they are always connected to the internal WiFi at the store. I have been doing the speed tests around 6-8 p.m. so maybe what your saying is true that it is technically peak hours and the towers are loaded and there is only so much bandwidth to go around. That's awesome that your getting 30+ off peak because that's what I'm use to right now with my speeds on T-Mobile.

Interesting on the geo link coverage map internally that they have? I will ask them next time I go in to show me that map. What's the difference between the one they can show customers and the other one that they can't (curious)? Ok so the window is 2 weeks to return the phone if I buy it from the store, then that gives me options as well. I still don't know if I'm going to buy the phones from Craigslist or buy them from the store?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Just to help Cutieson is obviously and never has been employed in the mobile sector.

Post switch number porting just doesn't happen, unless you're also paying T-Mobile to keep that line active at full price the while time.

Also the online coverage maps and the 'secret internal map' difference he's talking about are pretty much crap as well.

The only differences between the customer facing maps and the internal facing maps are future tower site coverage estimates (obvious why you don't want customers or competitors seeing that) and recently completed expansions, but those are usually updated on a regular basis.

To be honest, at this point Curtieson is coming off like some sort of bizarre troll. I'm not sure if that is their intent (I hope not), but their behavior is more than a little odd and antagonistic.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Also as far as where to obtain the phones. I would recommend sourcing them from the carrier directly.

Then you don't have to worry about scams, bad equipment, non-original parts, etc.

If something goes wrong with something you get from AT&T directly you have an entire year warranty standard. You can also add the additional coverage's if you wanted in case of drop, theft, etc

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Also as far as where to obtain the phones. I would recommend sourcing them from the carrier directly.

Then you don't have to worry about scams, bad equipment, non-original parts, etc.

If something goes wrong with something you get from AT&T directly you have an entire year warranty standard. You can also add the additional coverage's if you wanted in case of drop, theft, etc

I'll admit that there is some comfort knowing that getting them directly from the carrier (AT&T) provides you with the manufacturer warranty and new unopened equipment is always nice. I just have to decide whether the additional $150 for the phone + taxes is worth it over buying them used off of Craigslist?

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Yes that's the first thing I do is go into settings and deactivate the WiFi which 95% of the time I've encountered they are always connected to the internal WiFi at the store. I have been doing the speed tests around 6-8 p.m. so maybe what your saying is true that it is technically peak hours and the towers are loaded and there is only so much bandwidth to go around. That's awesome that your getting 30+ off peak because that's what I'm use to right now with my speeds on T-Mobile.

Interesting on the geo link coverage map internally that they have? I will ask them next time I go in to show me that map. What's the difference between the one they can show customers and the other one that they can't (curious)? Ok so the window is 2 weeks to return the phone if I buy it from the store, then that gives me options as well. I still don't know if I'm going to buy the phones from Craigslist or buy them from the store?

The one they can't show you involves proprietary stuff (maintenance, status, etc). The one they can look at would involve you giving them your address, and they can show your RF coverage to a pretty granular level. It's used to help look at coverage issues and can also be an aid to sell a micro-cell, etc. My recommendation is that you acquire your equipment from the store. If you have been going in there, taking their time, and using their resources, it is a nice thing to do, and if you ask for that rep's card, they'll be your go-to for all sorts of stuff. Plus, if there is an issue, AT&T has warranty service centers too.

You'll get extra points with the rep if you buy using AT&T Next too. You can always pay it off early and it is the same price as retail in the end.

When you're ready to pull the trigger, don't be afraid to ask for a rep that is willing to spend plenty of time with you (preferably a WP fan, every store has one), port your numbers, and ensure a smooth WP set up. Number porting should take less than 10 minutes. A realistic set-up and time afterwards should be the better part of an hour at least.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

The one they can't show you involves proprietary stuff (maintenance, status, etc). The one they can look at would involve you giving them your address, and they can show your RF coverage to a pretty granular level. It's used to help look at coverage issues and can also be an aid to sell a micro-cell, etc. My recommendation is that you acquire your equipment from the store. If you have been going in there, taking their time, and using their resources, it is a nice thing to do, and if you ask for that rep's card, they'll be your go-to for all sorts of stuff. Plus, if there is an issue, AT&T has warranty service centers too.

You'll get extra points with the rep if you buy using AT&T Next too. You can always pay it off early and it is the same price as retail in the end.

When you're ready to pull the trigger, don't be afraid to ask for a rep that is willing to spend plenty of time with you (preferably a WP fan, every store has one), port your numbers, and ensure a smooth WP set up. Number porting should take less than 10 minutes. A realistic set-up and time afterwards should be the better part of an hour at least.

Indeed. I had forgotten about the advantage of the higher granularity information for specific plots. That is a plus to the internal maps, but still not all that different from the customer facing info luckily. :)

I do agree about making sure to compensate the employees you've been working with by buying from the Store. I do the same thing. I now only visit one specific store, and generally work with Brenda. If she's not there, then there are a couple other folks I'll work with.

I'm also with you on the Next plan...it also makes it easy to upgrade phones every year if you don't mind paying a few bucks extra per month on the bill (after discounts and such are applied).

Heck right now my fiancee and I barely pay $200 for a home phone, 2 Lumia 1520s financed on Next (1 16GB, 1 32GB), and 1 Lumia 2520 also financed on Next, all with a 10GB data bucket, insurance set up and maxed on everything. That also usually includes a couple small mobile purchases per month for games and such.

It's really a good deal from that perspective (although note I do get a 23% work discount, as well as a 50% accessories discount on almost everything...so it does make my bill come out lower, just for full disclosure...don't want anyone accusing me of not mentioning something like that).

The one weak point I will admit to is that it seems like (at least on the 1520 and in the area near me, and on the phone support line) the support can be troublesome. Long story short, getting a phone that's just barely outside the 14-day window replaced with a new one if your current model develops a hardware fault...it can be tricky getting them to do that. If you want details let me know. I don't want to clutter up the thread. :)

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

That's cool that they can go into a granular level coverage for RF strength, I like to see details like that, so that's cool.

That makes sense acquiring the equipment at the store and what benefits that can bring with the repair center on site. Can you explain what you mean by getting extra points by using the next program? Are you saying that I can sign up for that program then pay the phones off 2 weeks later if I want and it'll benefit the sales rep somehow instead of paying for the phones right then? I understand the whole payment structure as T-Mobile launched the Jump program last year and got the other carriers to follow suit with their own version of it. I'm guessing it's structured a little bit differently, but curious if you know off hand.

Thx

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Indeed. I had forgotten about the advantage of the higher granularity information for specific plots. That is a plus to the internal maps, but still not all that different from the customer facing info luckily. :)

I do agree about making sure to compensate the employees you've been working with by buying from the Store. I do the same thing. I now only visit one specific store, and generally work with Brenda. If she's not there, then there are a couple other folks I'll work with.

I'm also with you on the Next plan...it also makes it easy to upgrade phones every year if you don't mind paying a few bucks extra per month on the bill (after discounts and such are applied).

Heck right now my fiancee and I barely pay $200 for a home phone, 2 Lumia 1520s financed on Next (1 16GB, 1 32GB), and 1 Lumia 2520 also financed on Next, all with a 10GB data bucket, insurance set up and maxed on everything. That also usually includes a couple small mobile purchases per month for games and such.

It's really a good deal from that perspective (although note I do get a 23% work discount, as well as a 50% accessories discount on almost everything...so it does make my bill come out lower, just for full disclosure...don't want anyone accusing me of not mentioning something like that).

The one weak point I will admit to is that it seems like (at least on the 1520 and in the area near me, and on the phone support line) the support can be troublesome. Long story short, getting a phone that's just barely outside the 14-day window replaced with a new one if your current model develops a hardware fault...it can be tricky getting them to do that. If you want details let me know. I don't want to clutter up the thread. :)

Yeah I'd like details, please explain what you mean by support can be troublesome outside of the 14-day window?

The more info I have the better I'll feel when I do this.

Thx

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site

That's cool that they can go into a granular level coverage for RF strength, I like to see details like that, so that's cool.

That makes sense acquiring the equipment at the store and what benefits that can bring with the repair center on site. Can you explain what you mean by getting extra points by using the next program? Are you saying that I can sign up for that program then pay the phones off 2 weeks later if I want and it'll benefit the sales rep somehow instead of paying for the phones right then? I understand the whole payment structure as T-Mobile launched the Jump program last year and got the other carriers to follow suit with their own version of it. I'm guessing it's structured a little bit differently, but curious if you know off hand.

Thx

Yes, there is a big sales push with AT&T Next. It just bolsters the sale for the rep on top of the two "gross adds" he/she will get from porting your numbers over. Next is like T-Mo's Jump, without the mandatory insurance. And yes, you could go in a week later and "accelerate" your payments (pay off the devices).

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I'd like details, please explain what you mean by support can be troublesome outside of the 14-day window?

The more info I have the better I'll feel when I do this.

Thx

So, I happened to have an issue crop up with the 1520 just a couple days outside of the 14-day return window. Basically in the top right of the screen a cluster of pixels was starting to show almost pure white in a small dot shaped area. It was almost like the backlight was somehow leaking through more there. So I tried calling up the local Device Support Center in Tukwila, and the folks there said they had no way of really providing any on-site support for the Lumia 1520, especially the 32GB model since they had 0 1520 devices (16 or 32GB) that they kept there. So they could look at it and verify the issue, but not really do anything beyond having a used device shipped to me.

After that I called the web order support folks up and tried to work with them and the troubleshooting folks to get a new unit sent to me, but they kept wanting to send me a refurb, site unseen. I wasn't willing to accept that since it was just barely outside of the 14-day window.

I had to end up visiting the local store (who has some great folks in it) and going back and forth with the phone teams (who kept not wanting to help) and the store personnel for a total of about 7 hours (partially due to obstruction by phone support staff, partially due to internal system issues due to the way they have to handle returns and it being outside the normal return window).

They ended up shipping me a brand new 32GB 1520 instead of a refurb, found a way to credit the restocking fee, and that was it. I had to pay for a 520 at full price as a temporary device to have due to job stuff right now. No one had stock for miles around me at the lower prices...and I had to buy a SIM adapter to fit the nano SIM into the 520 out of pocket at another electronics store.

It was a bit of a mess, but I think it's just early growing pains with how Next changed things and some weird returns issues where exceptions are super hard to create. The store staff however worked hard and were excellent. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)