PMA Case Choices?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So I know it has probably been asked before, but to be honest I'm at a bit of a loss here as far as my usual research skills go.

I'm trying to find someway to have the PMA charging for the US 32GB model, but without having to have the Incipio case.

I really like my Belkin Folio and would prefer to keep it or something like it for the phone. Has anyone come up with some way to just add the bits necessary onto something like the Belkin Folio?

Would it be easier/harder than doing the case modifications that folks have been trying to do to put Qi into the US 1520s?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately incipio is it

For pre-made cases yes.

That's why I asked if anyone had done (or seen) any work similar to what was done for enabling Qi on the US models.

I'm usually good at finding that stuff, but am coming up with a loss in my search skills here.

I know I'd likely have to buy the Incipio case to do any modding, but wanted to know if it could be done. I was also wondering what the best method would be that would still allow another case to be used after getting the hardware properly in place...if at all.

I really don't like having a case that doesn't allow for screen protection in case of drops...which admittedly is just more for my own piece of mind. I don't really drop phones, but like the protection in case.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry that's what I get for reading fast. The only one I know of is the one posted in the 1520 thread where there buying the coil and the back cove off the international one.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
No worries. :)

Yeah, that thread is for enabling Qi on the PMA models in the US.

I was hoping someone had done a PMA to PMA mod that removes the innards from something like the Incipio case so it can be 'transplanted' into a different case somehow.

Sounds like no one has attempted that yet though.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like no one has attempted this yet...but if I find any info I'll make sure to post it here. It seems like people posting solutions doesn't happen too often in threads where the user has to search for themselves (not I'm not complaining) so I'll make sure to post what I do find.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't think its that, i think most people are doing the QI mod to get away from anything PMA, I'd love to have it but refuse to have a brick attached to the back of my phone.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think its that, i think most people are doing the QI mod to get away from anything PMA, I'd love to have it but refuse to have a brick attached to the back of my phone.

Have you even tried the Incipo Charging case? I wouldn't define it as a "Brick". Not really any thicker than any other case I have had. Any thinner and it wouldn't offer any protection. It also protrudes just a little bt in front in case you put the phone down on it's face. You can barely see through it, so we are talking mm's... It also makes the phone less slipperier than with nothing.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I have the incipo feather case, the really thin plastic one, how much bigger is the PMA? I've never see one in person only on the website and it just looks bulky.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the incipo feather case, the really thin plastic one, how much bigger is the PMA? I've never see one in person only on the website and it just looks bulky.

About 1/8th of an inch at it's thickest. I have had cases bigger than that. If I took a picture it would be hard to tell because 1) I am a lousy photographer and 2) Camera's add 10 lbs. LoL..

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks man, unfortunately no one has one I can look at before I drop 40 on a case. 6 at&t stores within 10 miles and they don't even have a single case between them!!

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So what about finding a way to get that PMA charging stuff mounted into a different case?

Anyone think it is possible to strip the PMA case for parts to make the PMA work without that case?

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
It shouldn't be that hard to gut the case and transfer the stuff over to another case, best thing would prolly be to pick up a PMA case and see how much room you would need, some hot glue and maybe mod the case its going in for room there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire