Get Lumia 1520 or wait for 8.1?

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So torn right now. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Mega and plan on getting a Windows Phone again when 8.1 drops, but now I'm faced with an agonizing temptation. I just updated my plan with AT&T and they're offering me an upgrade and I am so tempted to just jump on a yellow 1520 RIGHT NOW. What to do? Decisions, decisions.....

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
All depends if you can wait until July or not, as with the 1520 being released recently, it's due for upgrades for another year and a half to two years, so upgrades for it isn't an issue; but yeah, new devices will be out in July, debate if you can wait that long and there's your answer. :)

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that there will be a new phablet in the beginning of 8.1, so by the time when 1520 is still the best phablet, go for it as soon as possible :D

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt a New nokia phablet is coming out for Att(has it been 6 months yet since the 1520?)

I'd go ahead and get it now(the 1520). That being said for me, if i see a Lumia 1020 sucessor with a slightly higher res and larger screen, trust and believe this 1520 will be getting replaced xD I've had it since launch day and I like Phablet size to an extent but i'd be happy with Icon size phone with Lumia 1020 camera(but much faster xD)

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I already saw that AT&T will relaunch the 1520 when 8.1 hits release so nothing to worry about, Nokia/MS will launch devices that will be smaller with practically the same specs as the 1520, like the Icon for Verizon.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
as has been posted, 1520 due for re-release on at&t at/around same time as 8.1 comes out.
get now and still have 8.1 when that comes out.
wait for re-release. either way...
you'll have both.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
In what way will they take better advantage of the WP8.1 OS than a 1520/Icon?

We'll find out soon. I'm sure that's why Nokia held off announcing any new flagships during MWC. That's why I've been kind of torn. Too many times I've been impatient and gone for the discount deal and then ended up with buyers remorse a few weeks later when a newer model is introduced. Shouldn't be much longer of a wait, so now that my initial enthusiasm has cooled I'm going to bide my time and see what appears in the coming weeks just to be on the safe side.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
We'll find out soon. I'm sure that's why Nokia held off announcing any new flagships during MWC. That's why I've been kind of torn. Too many times I've been impatient and gone for the discount deal and then ended up with buyers remorse a few weeks later when a newer model is introduced. Shouldn't be much longer of a wait, so now that my initial enthusiasm has cooled I'm going to bide my time and see what appears in the coming weeks just to be on the safe side.

But don't buy it then, I mean there will be a better one out in a few months, but don't buy that one because a few months after that, there will be a better one. Man what a vicious cycle it is. They should only have one month every two years where they release new phones. This way you can finish your contract and get the latest one. If you don't believe that will ever happen, then your bound to be disappointed often.

L0gic Bom8

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I say go for it. With the Snapdragon 800 SoC and 2GB RAM inside plus microSD for your media, your phone will be fine for a long while! Hell, I'll wager it'll be Windows Phone 9 compatible when that OS hits!

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
But don't buy it then, I mean there will be a better one out in a few months, but don't buy that one because a few months after that, there will be a better one. Man what a vicious cycle it is. They should only have one month every two years where they release new phones. This way you can finish your contract and get the latest one. If you don't believe that will ever happen, then your bound to be disappointed often.

I understand quite well how release cycles work, thanks, no need for snark. All I'm saying is that the press is hinting at 8.1 devices being introduced on 9 April which is only a couple of weeks away. That isn't very long to wait.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
MS Build may reveal a few devices from OEMs, but if you are on AT&T, one thing to keep in mind is that at least for AT&T, for the past 2 years they have typically released new WP devices in Oct/Nov, which is a ways off since we are currently in March. Since April 9th is just a few weeks away, in my opinion, I would wait to see what IS announced and then decide if you want to jump on that Yellow 1520 or not. If AT&T keeps with their current track record, we may looking at a new device or two for the holidays.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP should buy the 1520. Coming from a Galaxy Mega, I'm not sure if he'd see any point in waiting around for if/when another phablet is released.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP should buy the 1520. Coming from a Galaxy Mega, I'm not sure if he'd see any point in waiting around for if/when another phablet is released.

I'm not necessarily looking at the 1520 because its a phablet, more because it's the latest device that ATT has to offer. In fact if a new replacement device running 8.1 is announced in April to retire the 925 I may be very interested in that depending on specs.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Given that an announcement is being made in a couple of weeks, just wait. If anything you will have more information to make your decision and prices may drop. It's up to you, but you don't sound desperate.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Seeing that the Samsung Galaxy S5 was recently announced and doesn't have anything up on the Lumia 1520 except USB 3, 4K video, and water proofing (that I wouldn't trust!) I can't imagine in a couple of months a bunch of Windows Phones that are going to blow the 1520 out of the water. The Galaxy S5 still has a 1080p screen. No 64 bit processor. No qualcomm 805 snapdragon. It may be fall before you see anything significantly better than the 1520. Since I am on contract every month I delay an upgrade is money down the toilet.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Seeing that the Samsung Galaxy S5 was recently announced and doesn't have anything up on the Lumia 1520 except USB 3, 4K video, and water proofing (that I wouldn't trust!) I can't imagine in a couple of months a bunch of Windows Phones that are going to blow the 1520 out of the water. The Galaxy S5 still has a 1080p screen. No 64 bit processor. No qualcomm 805 snapdragon. It may be fall before you see anything significantly better than the 1520. Since I am on contract every month I delay an upgrade is money down the toilet.

But what is it going to hurt to wait two more weeks just to see? It's not like the 1520 is going anywhere in the meantime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3