Hey WPCentral people! I'd like to say that I LOVE my 1520 and my girlfriend is always complaining how I give my Lumia more attention than I give her. haha :-)

For the most part, I've experienced a pretty decent battery discharge rate of about 3.5% per hour throughout the day and up to 5% per hour. On particularly heavy usage, I might get a discharge rate of about 19% per hour (which is completely ridiculous, I'm not sure how this is happening). Recently I've noticed having to charge my Lumia 1520 at least once daily. This is strange because when I initially purchased the device and had all my usual apps installed, I'd only have to charge my phone about every other day. What prompted this question was when I nearly ran out of battery while on a regular day.

My question to everyone is, what is your 'normal' discharge rate on your Lumia 1520? Please let me know! I'd like to compare my discharge rate with other users to help me figure out if I'm just using my phone more heavily or am is there something else going on that's draining my battery.
    03-22-2014 08:57 PM
    Has anything else changed such as being in an area with poor coverage? If the device is searching for a signal where the signal is weak, that will drain the battery quicker.
    Eas195 and Alpo714 like this.
    03-22-2014 09:41 PM
    1.2-1.6 idle, 3-5 general use web browsing and posting on forums and between 8-10 playing games and watching videos. I can tell you mine went through something similar, i think it was the fox news app that was my drain so sounds like maybe you might have a rouge app. Also a trick that worked on a few android phones I've had is after the phone hits full charge give it another 20 minutes then reboot and unplug when you see the splash screen.
    03-22-2014 09:48 PM
    If you have a bunch of apps running in the background, they will also drain your battery faster. To check this, go to Settings, swipe left (or right) to the Applications section, and tap Background Tasks. :)
    03-22-2014 09:53 PM
    Alpo714,

I'd say my usual usage is about the same as what you've described, 3-4% an hour, up to 7-10% if I'm really rocking. Most days I can go 8-9 hours and easily have 50% left.

But Laura has a point about reception. In areas with poor reception (and especially poor LTE reception), it seems like the battery can really take a hit. Highly congested WiFi areas seems to add to battery drain, even if you aren't using WiFi, as it keeps trying to scan SSIDs. I've been living in a downtown location the last few months for example and I've gotten into the habit of switching off WiFi unless I'm going to use it as it does make a difference.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-22-2014 09:54 PM
    I've noticed the same issue after the recent update. I use to get 1-2 during idle per hour, now I'm getting around 6-7. I find myself having to charge my phone daily as well.
    03-22-2014 10:00 PM
    I wouldn't be worried about daily charging. I've charged every smartphone I've owned every night when I've gone to bed, and I never had issues with battery. That's something I've been doing for 8 years now.
    crav4speed likes this.
    03-22-2014 10:13 PM
    Alpo714,

I'd say my usual usage is about the same as what you've described, 3-4% an hour, up to 7-10% if I'm really rocking. Most days I can go 8-9 hours and easily have 50% left.

But Laura has a point about reception. In areas with poor reception (and especially poor LTE reception), it seems like the battery can really take a hit. Highly congested WiFi areas seems to add to battery drain, even if you aren't using WiFi, as it keeps trying to scan SSIDs. I've been living in a downtown location the last few months for example and I've gotten into the habit of switching off WiFi unless I'm going to use it as it does make a difference.

I don't turn my WiFi off when I'm in an area with many networks, but I don't search for new networks. I live in an apartment building, so I use my own network, but I don't search for the neighbors' networks.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    03-22-2014 10:18 PM
    I average about 3.6% per hour under 'normal' usage standards. On a day when the phone is used less and is more idle that drops down to about 0.9% per hour. On a day when it is used more it can jump up to about 7% per hour or as high as 9% per hour on a day where I'm gaming and watching videos non-stop.
    03-23-2014 08:20 PM
    Has anything else changed such as being in an area with poor coverage? If the device is searching for a signal where the signal is weak, that will drain the battery quicker.
    Thank you Laura for the insight. The instance which I noticed this rapid decrease in battery was 1) the day after the Lumia 1520 update for AT&T and 2) at work where LTE coverage with T-mobile is limited. I think you very well may have pin pointed the source of my problems! Thank you! I'll power down the phone while I'm at work so I don't burn through my battery!
    03-23-2014 08:39 PM
    If you have a bunch of apps running in the background, they will also drain your battery faster. To check this, go to Settings, swipe left (or right) to the Applications section, and tap Background Tasks. :)
    Thanks for the pro-tip! I've already looked into that and I currently have the following apps running.
    Amazing Weather HD
    AppoinTile
    Battery
    Bing Finance
    Down To Zero
    Facebook
    Insider Pro
    LockMix
    NBC News
    True Calendar 8

Any pointers?
    03-23-2014 08:41 PM
    Alpo714,

Thanks for the Tip NoRomBasic! I'll keep WiFi off while I'm at an area with poor LTE reception, like when I'm at work. Better yet, I'll probably end up putting my device on airplane mode when I'm at work! :-) Thanks again!
    03-23-2014 08:44 PM
    I've noticed the same issue after the recent update. I use to get 1-2 during idle per hour, now I'm getting around 6-7. I find myself having to charge my phone daily as well.
    Thanks for the observation cmayo.org! I noticed that my battery drain has increased since the update but its leveled off after a few days. Things seem to be back to normal. Thanks again.
    03-23-2014 08:45 PM
    I average about 3.6% per hour under 'normal' usage standards. On a day when the phone is used less and is more idle that drops down to about 0.9% per hour. On a day when it is used more it can jump up to about 7% per hour or as high as 9% per hour on a day where I'm gaming and watching videos non-stop.
    Thank you for the observation Morpheus Phreak! As of now, my battery usage is averaging about 3.8% with normal usual (emails, occasional facebook, texting), and up to 10% per hour when I'm watching NBC news or CNN. Thanks for the input.
    03-23-2014 08:46 PM
    Thanks for the pro-tip! I've already looked into that and I currently have the following apps running.
    Amazing Weather HD
    AppoinTile
    Battery
    Bing Finance
    Down To Zero
    Facebook
    Insider Pro
    LockMix
    NBC News
    True Calendar 8

Any pointers?
    Why do you have 2 battery apps running and which "battery" app do you have? There are several battery apps in the store with the name "battery" The reason I ask is because 1) battery apps tend to use a lot of battery and 2) one battery app is a particular battery user.

I have looked into this using a spare 925 I have and tested a number of battery related apps and the worst battery user by far was "battery" by Arthur Semenov which just happens to have the most reviews of all of them in the store. The 2 that I found to use the least was "battery" by Endless Soft Ltd and Insider Pro
    03-24-2014 05:00 AM
    I don't have a 1520, but when I was using my 920 as my daily driver (recently switched to a 925), the discharge rate was slightly under 2% per hour. For the last few months, it was around 1.88-1.94% per hour, which was great. I have yet to see rates like that on my 925, which I got just shy of a month ago. But if your phone is still fairly new, this is why you're seeing such odd discharge rates with the battery. After a couple of months, it should improve.
    03-24-2014 11:03 AM
    My battery was always great.

Now it loses 25% in a day in AIRPLANE/STANDBY mode. I don't use the phone, no connectivity, everything turned off. Still 25% a day, 9% only over night (9h). background apps ALL deactivated. Glance always on but tap and vibration keys both off. Restart didn't help either.

I own a white and ordered a yellow now because my only Lumia should be the great Nokia yellow. So I won't do anything at the moment and wait and see how the new L1520 will hold up but either way it's annoying...
    03-26-2014 04:46 AM