Thinking of replacing 920 with 1520 next month...

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
So I have an upgrade coming up! I had previously written off the 1520 for being to big, but seeing now as I have an iPhone 5C as my second phone (it's about the colors yo) I have been thinking of getting the 1520, and just using the iPhone 5C for when taking out such a massive phone isn't practical. I do have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer.

1. Wireless Charging: I know the ATT model doesn't support wireless charging without a case... but with a case can I still use my Lumia 920 charging pad?

2. Storage: I know there are 2 models, one with 16 and one with 32GB, but does the 32 GB one come in the same colors as 16GB? I was hoping to hold out for the rumored green one (as my friend and I have a white, black, and blue 900s, red and yellow 920s). Also, does internal storage even matter with the SD card? I had read people were putting 128GB SD cards into their 1520s. Is there any real difference between using internal and external storage?

3. Camera: I use my 920 at night all the time and it always puts out amazing photos. I had seen some reviews say that the 1520 was not as good in low light... is this true? I assume the 20MP shooter will also be in the 930 when it's announced, and I believe its the same sensor in the Icon?

4. Size: I am sure you all love your 1520s, but if you could switch to a 5" screen as rumored in the 930 for no charge would you, if everything else on the phone stayed the same?

5. Text: Has the problem that was on the 920 been fixed, where text would remain more jagged and fuzzy than an Retina Display iPhone's despite the PPI being higher on the 920?

Thank you for all your time!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
1) as far as wireless charging the 1520 uses a different charging system than the Qi chargers of previous Nokia's.
2) Storage the 1520 can accept and use the 128GB microSDXC cards. Until WP 8.1 though you cant load apps on the sd card just music and files.
3) Not sure about any of that yet. 920 should be announced on 4/2/14 at Build.
4) The most rumors of the 930 are saying its a 4.5 inch screen not the 5.0 inch Icon screen , The 930 for now may also be a non US model
5) Im not aware of that issue. have my 920 set on larger font for viewability for my older eyes.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
1. Wireless Charging: I know the ATT model doesn't support wireless charging without a case... but with a case can I still use my Lumia 920 charging pad?
-no you cant and honestly att isn't supporting their new charging standard well at all this was my biggest disappointment with this phone

2. Storage: I know there are 2 models, one with 16 and one with 32GB, but does the 32 GB one come in the same colors as 16GB? I was hoping to hold out for the rumored green one (as my friend and I have a white, black, and blue 900s, red and yellow 920s). Also, does internal storage even matter with the SD card? I had read people were putting 128GB SD cards into their 1520s. Is there any real difference between using internal and external storage?
so far storage is exactly the same best thing to do is when you get the card you just set all pics and music to go to the external storage its simple easy to use.

3. Camera: I use my 920 at night all the time and it always puts out amazing photos. I had seen some reviews say that the 1520 was not as good in low light... is this true? I assume the 20MP shooter will also be in the 930 when it's announced, and I believe its the same sensor in the Icon?
- photos have been great for me, I can try and do a couple test fires tonight and link them up if you like. (I also switched from the 920 to the 1520)

4. Size: I am sure you all love your 1520s, but if you could switch to a 5" screen as rumored in the 930 for no charge would you, if everything else on the phone stayed the same?
love the large screen fits in my pants pocket no prob, the first week it feels huge after that its just amazingly awesome and easy to use.

5. Text: Has the problem that was on the 920 been fixed, where text would remain more jagged and fuzzy than an Retina Display iPhone's despite the PPI being higher on the 920?
-no txt probs here I love the 1080p screen its easy to read and having the quad core with 2 gigs of ram and the mem card was the main reason I didn't go with 1020. if you have any questions let me know.

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
1) So no Qi shell for the 1520 then? Bummer.
2) Good to know about the SD then, I take it the 32 gig version then I should just disregard if I primarily plan to load photos and video on this thing.
3) @Spyderz, that be great! I tried searching for comparisons and couldn't find much. 90% of my camera taking is at night so I would hate to downgrade from the 920. Although unless I went for the 1020 it seems there is no avoiding this unless the 1520 is indeed better. 1520 has OIS correct?
4) I assume like anything you get use to it, everyone seems to adjust to it pretty quick and has no regrets about it (unlike iPhone users who feel the phone is awkwardly tall after a year and a half after switching to the 4" screen).
5) Everything i've seen from the screen has been pretty awesome. I just remember getting the 920 and being all like "Hey the screen is even sharper than the iPhone!" Then when I compared the two the text on the iPhone was noticeably sharper. I suppose even if W8 has the same issue with the font rendering, it wouldn't be as noticeable, not that it was ever a huge deal breaker on the 920 to begin with. I like the 1020, but if I am getting a new phone I'd like to get a fully new phone, and not my old phone with just a larger camera.

Last edited:

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
even the pwa shell is a pain to find....
after you set the pictures and video to go there you wont see the difference, I believed it asked how I wanted it to work as soon as I put in the car (which c an be set under settings...phonestorage)
I haven't done a lot of at night photos but I have recorded a concert that had pretty much no lighting
here is a link to my youtube, only 1 is 1520 the rest are from the 920, hero pro 2 and 3, and a zoom zoom q3hd. so that should give you a great comparison to audio and video between them. I listen to loud music which really tests the audio
https://www.youtube.com/spyderz343

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
it sounds like the 1520 is better, lighting seemed better in 920 though, but its not the same environment. I think now I am just picking at strings though, seems like I'd be happy with the 1520 although no wireless really is a bummer. Will, do you have links to what you have? It seems like I will be happy with 16gb plus the SD card. Is that what you do Spyderz?

I think I'll wait till build to see if they announce the green one and see what gets announced, after that I'll head to an ATT store and see if I can wrangle my upgrade out of them a bit earlier. Thanks for the help guys!

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
heads up no wireless charging is built in you have to even buy the wireless charging shell from att, all other 1520's (outside the us) have qi charging just not on the att version. Att requested it be removed with out supply support :-(

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So I have an upgrade coming up! I had previously written off the 1520 for being to big, but seeing now as I have an iPhone 5C as my second phone (it's about the colors yo) I have been thinking of getting the 1520, and just using the iPhone 5C for when taking out such a massive phone isn't practical. I do have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer.

The 1520 is an awesome phone I switched from the 920 and now when I pick up my 920 I can't believe I used to use that thing.. It makes the 920 feel like a little kids phone .. The only complaint I have is the tap instead of swipe bug or defect we don't know yet because Nokia has not responded to this ... Other than that you will be very happy with the phone. It seems big at first but after a week of using it you'll wonder why everyone else has such a small phone

mobilejk

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
You won't miss the wireless charging. I did some research on it and it's actually not good for the battery since it heats it while charging. I upgraded both my lines to 1520's and I am so glad I did. I won't go back to a small screen ever again. The phone is fantastic with a awesome HD screen and faster performance and I have no complaints with the camera/video just amazing.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
You won't miss the wireless charging. I did some research on it and it's actually not good for the battery since it heats it while charging. I upgraded both my lines to 1520's and I am so glad I did. I won't go back to a small screen ever again. The phone is fantastic with a awesome HD screen and faster performance and I have no complaints with the camera/video just amazing.

The battery shouldn't heat up while charging on the wireless charger.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
It's the charging plate that heats up, not the battery. :)

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You'll notice the battery on the 1520 is awesome! On my 920 I charged it almost twice a day as I stream music all day!! My habbits have not change on contrary I stream more I can go two days on a charge!!!! So I don't miss my qi charging. I even went with more data on the next plan so yeah this 1520 last a long time on a single charge!!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, we have no idea what the 930 display size will be. For every rumor saying 4.5", there's one saying 5". One site is even reporting it'll be 5.2". I was surprised to see that the 920 and Icon are exactly the same size despite different reported display sizes. I guess the Icon was trimmed down while increasing display size. I think a 5.5" screen or thereabouts would be ideal. I fully expect the 930 to be an international version of the Icon though.

Titanicology

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Go for the 1520. It's the best. If you wait for the 930, it'll just be the same, only minor improvements like camera etc. It's just the same experience after all! 😜

Raphael Tokmakjian

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Before all of your questions, I own a 1520 and 920

Problem with 1520 is the screen, sometimes when you swipe up or down it actually takes your action as a click
Few updates came along and I was hoping they fixed the problem, unfortunately its still there and its annoying!

The only phone I enjoyed using from Lumia Family was 925! try to consider it as an option or even better you can go with the Nokia ICON which is US only

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I moved to a 1520 after 9 months of 920:

1. Wireless Charging: I bought a RM-938 from newegg. My new 1520 works with the charging pad I had for my 920. As others have mentioned, the AT&T version needs a charging case that only works with PMA pads.

2. Storage: on my 920, I barely filled up the 32GB storage. For now, you can't use the SD card on the 1520 to store apps and app data. This may change with 8.1. If you need more than 10GB or space for apps, then 16GB not enough for you. My apps barely got to 3GB. Check your storage info in the 920. How much space does apps/maps occupy?

3. Camera: I didn't notice much difference between 920 and 1520 low light photos. I'll have to do a thorough side-by-side testing to really tell any difference but I'm not inclined to do so.

4. Size: I switched to the 1520 specifically for the larger screen. It helps a lot with work (viewing PDF files, charts, photos, etc.). I previously considered buying a small tablet and using that with my phone. But that would mean carrying two devices. Now I only need one. I am a little disappointed with how WP8 fails to take full advantage of the larger screen, however. To fill the screen, some elements are simply scaled up. The keyboard, for example, is simply scaled up and still takes up half the screen. Many apps are not optimized for this screen size either - on the 1520, the fonts just become bigger, sometimes comically so. I'm ok with it for now since I hear it will change with 8.1. Other than that, the only other downside with a 6" screen is I have to take the phone out of my pocket to drive - or tie my shoe.

5. Text: no problem with jagged text here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro