UNLOCKED 1520 on T-MOBILE ISSUE

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have ATT version RM940 Lumia 1520 yellow unlocked. I recently moved to T-Mobile from ATT. I noticed that with TM, I hardly get LTE connection. In many places, the logo is constantly jump around from LTE, 4G, E, even G. In remote place, the signal went zero and the phone is practically useless. The phone that is well known as the beast in term of battery life could only last 6-8 hours and it die because of constantly looking for signal. I do not know if there were incompatibilities of the device to run with TM. Do any of you guys have ANY issues at all? Please advise. Would love to know.

Thanks in advance.

ichi

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings -> Mobile Network (might be called Cellular). Set highest connection speed to 3G.

I use the RM-937 on 3G and regularly get between 8 and 10mb down with that setting.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
That's the problem with ATT version RM-940, when used on TM you either get LTE or EDGE because it doesn't have TM's 3G bands. With "global" version RM-937 you don't get LTE but you can get TM's 3G signal, which is more useful because 3G coverage is better. Finally we have the "US LTE" version RM-938 which is almost completely compatible with TM's 3G/4G LTE bands.

Doni Masongsong

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
It might depend on your location. I have have a yellow (Woohoo best color IMHO) Lumia 1520 unlocked from T-Mobile. I travel between the LA, OC, and San Bernardino Counties in SoCal and do not experience signal problem (except at my work, which even when I used my Galaxy Note had no signal). For the most part, I get LTE / 4G. Very rarely do I get E. SInce I had an international note, I know the areas with HSPA+. On those same areas I get that, I am getting 4G/LTE on the Lumia 1520.

Hope this helps.

-Doni

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys for the reply. Honestly, I like the 1520 a lot. After downsizing from xperia z ultra, I feel that 1520 is still too big for my hand. I wish Nokia has something 5.0-5.5 screen that has good camera at this moment. I realized there is Lumia Icon, but it doesnt have LTE on both TM and ATT. I guess I will wait for the BUILD conference to see if there is new devices. Thanks guys, for now, I will suck it up for another week/month or so.. :)

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for the reply. Honestly, I like the 1520 a lot. After downsizing from xperia z ultra, I feel that 1520 is still too big for my hand. I wish Nokia has something 5.0-5.5 screen that has good camera at this moment. I realized there is Lumia Icon, but it doesnt have LTE on both TM and ATT. I guess I will wait for the BUILD conference to see if there is new devices. Thanks guys, for now, I will suck it up for another week/month or so.. :)

My last android phone was an Xperia Z1 but I did have the Z1 ultra for a few days but found it way to big for me to use other than at home. I then went to my Nokia 925 and now the 1520 and to be honest the 1520 doesn't feel (in the hand) any bigger than the Z1 did but much much smaller than the Z1 ultra.
I would put the difference between the Z1 ultra and the 1520 in the same league as the difference between the 1520 and the 925

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
925 is kinda old and slow I should say. I always own flagship, I have tried many devices (went hopping around last year from note 2,3, g2, 5s, ultra z, 920) before 1520. I like 1520 build. The concern is the weight and the size now, I kinda develop carpal tunnel syndrome by using big phones (yes, I am playing with my phone a lot). the 1520 weight 6 grams less than ultra z that has .44" more screen. I got burned out by android at this moment and looking forward for the wp 8.1 (finger crossed next week we're getting it). with the size and weight, the touch sens. issue become worst. I like to operate my phone with one hand. all in all, love the camera, screen is beautiful, good battery life, solid build, little to no lag OS, so far these made me have reasons to stay. Hopefully they come up with 5-5.5 incher with the same(if not better) camera that has, at least, same spec as the 1520. (I know the answer is Icon, but we'll see if they have the GSM version of it that support LTE in either Tmob/ATT, both would be better.) :cool:

EKurt

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey I Just got a no contract and unlocked a 1520 for T-Mobile as well. I am having an issues where I can't do any MMS. No picture messaging or group messaging. Anyone run in to this issue?

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have ATT version RM940 Lumia 1520 yellow unlocked. I recently moved to T-Mobile from ATT. I noticed that with TM, I hardly get LTE connection. In many places, the logo is constantly jump around from LTE, 4G, E, even G. In remote place, the signal went zero and the phone is practically useless. The phone that is well known as the beast in term of battery life could only last 6-8 hours and it die because of constantly looking for signal. I do not know if there were incompatibilities of the device to run with TM. Do any of you guys have ANY issues at all? Please advise. Would love to know.

Thanks in advance.

ichi

Depending on your location, T-Mobile made major changes to their network regarding frequency changes in the last couple of years. They changed half of their 1700 HSPA network and refarmed it to LTE and half of their 1900 band 2G network and refarmed it HSPA to make it more compatible with AT&T's network. Some spots may not have made the change yet but in most of the major cities, the change is complete.

The RM-940 doesn't have those cellular settings but it does have access to "field test" mode which will let you change cellular settings. But change this at your own risk.

Go to the dialer and dial ##3282# and that will open the app > hit the 3 dots to open the settings page > under "network type" you can switch between 2G (GSM/EDGE network), 3G (UMTS/HSPA network), and 4G (LTE network). This will allow the phone to only operate on the specific network you chose and will not allow it to fluctuate. There is NO voice service on 4G so you wont be able to make calls or send/receive messages. Pick 3G and see if that helps. The RM-940 does not have support for T-Mobile's 3G 1700 band so if you are not in an area that has the refarmed 1900 HSPA network, it may not work. You can also try 2G. Good Luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills