Thinking about getting a 1520. Have questions.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi 1520 owners :)

I have a 920 and I'm thinking about getting a new phone soon. I'm very tempted by the 1520. I have a couple of questions though.

How widespread is this Touchscreen issue I've seen people talking about?

I live in Australia. Does the international version have Qi wireless charging?

Thanks in advance for any help ;)

elvandar

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 1520 since the day it launched and have very rarely encountered the touchscreen issue (ATT 16gb version). Maybe once a week or so if that and it definitely does not impede or hamper my use of the phone, apps, or anything. I've seen the discolored lock screen bug happen more than the touchscreen bug if anything.

About the charging, I'm not 100% sure but I believe the international unlocked version has Qi instead of PMA

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Since the last update for the RM-937, I have only had touch screen issues with double tap to wake enabled.

The international version is 32GB with Qi charging built in.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how widespread it is, but I never experienced any touch screen issue with mine.

It has Qi wireless charging.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Hasoumi

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Screen sensitivity not a big deal , So far an app may open randomly while scrolling menu or random move while playing a game , But it doesnt happened frequently ........ Also something people dont mention that phone closes apps randomly not alot but its noticable .

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Screen sensitivity not a big deal , So far an app may open randomly while scrolling menu or random move while playing a game , But it doesnt happened frequently ........ Also something people dont mention that phone closes apps randomly not alot but its noticable .

If apps are crashing on a regular basis (not constantly, but regular) something is not right, either with those specific apps or with that specific phone (not the model...that literal specific phone).

I've had a couple apps crash on me...but each time it stopped after an update meant to fix stability.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I think there is a hardware defect w/ a batch of 1520's. I sent mine in for repair to Nokia because of the ever annoying screen sensitivity and proximity sensor/auto-brightness issues. Hell, my 1520 couldn't tell if I was indoors or outdoors half the time. My 1020, has none of these problems. -and Nokia keeps pushing out firmware updates to the 1520...with no fix in sight. In addition, drawing off context clues here, the issues seem to be affecting other people, but not all... which leads me to believe there are some hardware defects in at least a batch of phones. -Maybe they changed suppliers for certain hardware since the 1520 has been released? -so all in all I feel like I losing a battle on thinking my 1520 was a great buy. IMO my 1520 feels like a prototype phone where quality assurance was not tested before shipping.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I think there is a hardware defect w/ a batch of 1520's. I sent mine in for repair by Nokia because of the ever annoying screen sensitivity and proximity sensor/auto-brightness issue. My 1020, has none of these problems. -and Nokia keeps pushing out firmware updates to the 1520...with no fix in sight.

As far as I'm aware the most any Lumia 1520 has received is 2 firmware updates.

Things started out with the 3534 series, which in the US included the following:

1028.3534.1343.0001 (Initial Shipping Firmware)
1028.3534.1347.2001 (Updated Firmware)

Then the 3562 series, which has only had a single release:
1028.3562.1407.1001 (Brings the US release into line with the 3562 series previously released in other regions)

In a 4 month time frame for a new product that's not a lot actually...especially since there's only been one real update for fixes and improvements. The other was a very minor update.

So there have not been updates that Nokia keeps pushing out 'with no fix in sight'.

Hyperbole serves no one well. *sighs*

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any experience with the 128gb micro sd? I remember reading that it worked on the 1520, but that was a while ago.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any experience with the 128gb micro sd? I remember reading that it worked on the 1520, but that was a while ago.

It works, but it's an Extreme model from Sandisk, not the Extreme Plus.

So far the Extreme Plus models are the only ones from Sandisk without performance issues on the 1520. So I would wait a tiny bit since there will likely be an Extreme Plus refresh before too long. :)

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well... The 1520... I really looked at that device, I like it, but I am not willing to pay the high price. I like big devices and have a HTC One max (Android). So I compared the 1520 display to the max. For indoor use, (like laying on bed) the viewing angles on the max are way superior, then you add in the large number of issues, cause there are many... Well I came to the conclusion... "Not worth the money"... Rather have a One max in that price range,the only issue on the One max is the lousy non OIS 4.1mp camera (much worse than on the One or One mini) So as I like big displays, I got me a 1320... Which has a cracking noise speaker issue with older Wp 7.5/8 games, but none with Wp 8 games. But the 1320 is less than 1/2 price of a 1520 and has better viewing angles indoors and a brighter display. A no brainer really as long as Nokia has so many QC issues. Sure most 1520 might be fine, but I am not willing to take that risk for such a high price.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
As far as I'm aware the most any Lumia 1520 has received is 2 firmware updates.

Things started out with the 3534 series, which in the US included the following:

1028.3534.1343.0001 (Initial Shipping Firmware)
1028.3534.1347.2001 (Updated Firmware)

Then the 3562 series, which has only had a single release:
1028.3562.1407.1001 (Brings the US release into line with the 3562 series previously released in other regions)

In a 4 month time frame for a new product that's not a lot actually...especially since there's only been one real update for fixes and improvements. The other was a very minor update.

Doesn't matter, either way you just reassessed my point... it hasn't been fixed yet in a 4 month period...then one could assume that there is another reason why it hasn't been fixed. I would think that any consumer who pays full retail price for a product would expect their product to fully work at time of purchase. I own several Nokia Lumia phones and all interchangeably use them, the 1520 has been the only Nokia product to disappoint me after purchase.

Don't let cognitive dissonance cloud your mind dude. I would much rather save my energy and time on these boards since we are all Nokia/WP fans.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter, either way you just reassessed my point... it hasn't been fixed yet in a 4 month period...then one could assume that there is another reason why it hasn't been fixed. I would think that any consumer who pays full retail price for a product would expect their product to fully work at time of purchase. I own several Nokia Lumia phones and all interchangeably use them, the 1520 has been the only Nokia product to disappoint me after purchase.

Don't let cognitive dissonance cloud your mind dude. I would much rather save my energy and time on these boards since we are all Nokia/WP fans.

Cognitive dissonance in what way? Also to say that me taking my time to provide factual information 'doesn't matter' is insulting.

This is just reinforcing my decision to not want to be here and to not want other folks from MS here either. *sighs*

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

Don't forget that apart from users with 1520 issues, there are users like me who really enjoy the device. Can you give a factual percentage of users with issues against users with none? Or at least an estimate. That's what the 'threadmaster' is looking for.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Well... The 1520... I really looked at that device, I like it, but I am not willing to pay the high price. I like big devices and have a HTC One max (Android). So I compared the 1520 display to the max. For indoor use, (like laying on bed) the viewing angles on the max are way superior, then you add in the large number of issues, cause there are many... Well I came to the conclusion... "Not worth the money"... Rather have a One max in that price range,the only issue on the One max is the lousy non OIS 4.1mp camera (much worse than on the One or One mini) So as I like big displays, I got me a 1320... Which has a cracking noise speaker issue with older Wp 7.5/8 games, but none with Wp 8 games. But the 1320 is less than 1/2 price of a 1520 and has better viewing angles indoors and a brighter display. A no brainer really as long as Nokia has so many QC issues. Sure most 1520 might be fine, but I am not willing to take that risk for such a high price.

I won't say that the 1320 has better viewing angles indoor and brighter display. I've seen and fiddled a lot of times with Nokia 1320 demos and the 1520's screen look better. No offense meant but I think you're taking bias with your decision against buying the 1520. The 1320 may have half the price of 1520 but let's be honest with mediocrity of the former's specs relative to the latter. That will also make sense to its relatively low price.

Hasoumi

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
First , You cant really compare to one max , I havent get to compare HTC screen with 1520 but i did compare with samsing note3 and LG G2 and in general HTC/samsung/LG all of em are taking the same path in their screens , Which gives you high brightness and amazing colors , But those colors have nothing to do with reality , So what you see bit orange is actually red and a light greenish blue color appears light blue , And what you see so brown is way lighter in real , I have Galaxy note 3 however i still enjoy watching videos on my 1520 with true color than those fake glowing colors on my note 3 , so its more like preference than actually the screen is good or not .

Second , I really do complain about many things in the phone , Like im not happy seeing my wifi connect and fail connect while showing that its connected sometimes , But i dont blame it on hardware , the device is great for me , However that windowsphone software killed it in many ways , Hoping the next update will improve the software experience since im almost doing everything on my note 3 expect playing games , watching videos , playing music and just checking notifications .....

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Don't forget that apart from users with 1520 issues, there are users like me who really enjoy the device. Can you give a factual percentage of users with issues against users with none? Or at least an estimate. That's what the 'threadmaster' is looking for.

That would be impossible to do. I just know that there are users out there who do and don't have issues with their 1520's...but like I stated in my first post...I think there is a bad "batch" of phones -not all- that have hardware defects....it is not all too uncommon for OEMs to fail quality assurance at a point during manufacturing. I ran in the same situation when the HTC One (M7) was first released last year.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Cognitive dissonance in what way? Also to say that me taking my time to provide factual information 'doesn't matter' is insulting.

This is just reinforcing my decision to not want to be here and to not want other folks from MS here either. *sighs*

I apologize for saying that. I thought you were implying that there was nothing wrong with the 1520...by stating that there were only two updates pushed out.

I know that there were two firmware updates pushed out since release. And I know that at least one of those updates was addressed to fix the proximity sensor and sensitivity issues. However I whole heartily disagree with you in the last paragraph in your previous reply stating that two firmware updates in a 4 month period from release is not a lot...especially if the problems still exist. OEMs should not have to push any firmware updates if they had a good quality control team. -which up till now, thought Nokia did well at.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I apologize for saying that. I thought you were implying that there was nothing wrong with the 1520...by stating that there were only two updates pushed out.

I know that there were two firmware updates pushed out since release. And I know that at least one of those updates was addressed to fix the proximity sensor and sensitivity issues. However I whole heartily disagree with you in the last paragraph in your previous reply stating that two firmware updates in a 4 month period from release is not a lot...especially if the problems still exist. OEMs should not have to push any firmware updates if they had a good quality control team. -which up till now, thought Nokia did well at.

Thank you. :)

BTW none of those updates list that they are for the sensitivity issues. The first set of updates was part of the 'release series' and the second update is in the same series as what the rest of the world received. That update is for some updated bluetooth stack related stuff and some general fixes.

Nokia has never said that any of these specific updates are for the sensitivity issue. To be honest I would expect that to occur with the 8.1 drop or a little before since that is going to be their next big firmware update.

BTW, OEM's have to push firmware updates all the time...usually when new OS versions are released in case there are any oddities that crop up with changes to the underlying OS code.

It sounds like you've never coded any sort of software to be quite honest...but if I'm wrong in that assumption please feel free to tell me.

The only standalone update that they've done is the 3562 release. The other firmware update was specifically tied to an OS build update from Microsoft as the 1520 was released before GDR3 was 100% ready to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb