Whether 1520 will get WP 8.1 update

andy1008

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I am planning to buy Nokia Lumia 1520. Whether it will get WP 8.1 upgradation or shall I wait for some time for announcement of new phones with 8.1? Is it worth to buy 1520?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey welcome to wpcentral forums :smile:
All windows phone 8 will get the update , including lumia 1520
There are rumors that nokia will launch some more flagship phone but the hardware will be very similar to that of lumia 1520 (snapdragon 800/801 , 2gb ram , full hd display ). You can find a detailed review of lumia 1520 here :- Nokia Lumia 1520 Review | Windows Phone Central

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me, there are literally so many threads of this kind. SEARCH.
also, there is a definitive "Will my phone be upgraded?" or something like that. READ THAT TOO.

now that my saltiness and annoyance is out of the way (this is one of my biggest pet peeves), the 1520 is practically the best hardware you can get in WP-land (rivaled only by the smaller Icon on VZW)
It will hold its own among the very top echelon of smartphones as well.

It WILL get 8.1. Older devices will, there's no reason for this one not to. It is a practically new device and is the best you can get in terms of overall raw hardware.
Do you think this is worth the cost?

welcome aboard, i hope that didn't scare you at first.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Being a newbie to Nokia as i am and having been fully entrenched in Andy for such a long time...understand the concern...if the op was only familiar with androids..it's very easy to understand his concerns since some of the manufactures aren't so eager to release updates quickly..and then neither is ATT for them..They've gotten better,but not by much IMHO

Mac

andy1008

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Previously I was having Lumia 800. After buying the same, Microsoft introduced wp8 which was not upgradable on lumia 800. Thats why I am concerned, otherwise after investing lot of money, it will not get any updates of 8.1.
Due to previous sour experience I am now on android for more than 2 years. But display and crispness of 1520 is tempting me to come back to wp.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Previously I was having Lumia 800. After buying the same, Microsoft introduced wp8 which was not upgradable on lumia 800. Thats why I am concerned, otherwise after investing lot of money, it will not get any updates of 8.1.
Due to previous sour experience I am now on android for more than 2 years. But display and crispness of 1520 is tempting me to come back to wp.

Believe me, as 1st Day Lumia 900 purchaser, I can understand your concern about whether MS would be supporting upgrades to 8.1. Given that it was officially introduced just an hour ago I'm sure there will be more info to come today and tomorrow, but here a few things that are pretty certain:

* The 1520 is definitely going to be able to run 8.1, Joe Belifore himself used the 1520 as the WP8.1 "demo" device today. (I don't think we can get more conclusive than that)

* MS has stated that all devices running 8.0 will be able to run 8.1, however upgrades will depend on the Manufacturer and Carrier. So far Nokia has stated that most devices will be upgraded (some of the low-end 5xx and 6xx devices may not be) Again, with Build going this week, I would imagine at least a few other manufacturers will step forward.

* Knowing ATT's track record, I would expect that the ATT 1520 will be one of the last 1520's to see the upgrade. Maybe they will surprise us. BUT you can probably get 8.1 sometime in the next two weeks by signing up for Microsoft's Developer Preview program.

Hope this helps with your decision - Michael

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Did I understand correctly from today's announcement that if you buy a 1520 in late April/early May when 8.1 is on "new devices" it will come preinstalled with 8.1? Or is that only on newly-introduced devices?

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
* MS has stated that all devices running 8.0 will be able to run 8.1, however upgrades will depend on the Manufacturer and Carrier. So far Nokia has stated that most devices will be upgraded (some of the low-end 5xx and 6xx devices may not be) Again, with Build going this week, I would imagine at least a few other manufacturers will step forward.

Hope this helps with your decision - Michael

AND - Here is Nokia Confirmation:

Microsoft to update all WP8 Nokia Lumia devices with Windows Phone 8.1

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Did I understand correctly from today's announcement that if you buy a 1520 in late April/early May when 8.1 is on "new devices" it will come preinstalled with 8.1? Or is that only on newly-introduced devices?

I believe that this is only for "new" devices announced with WP8.1from the get-go/ (so far that is the Lumia 930, 630, and 635) There has been a rumor running around that ATT is planning on re-introducing the 1520 at some point with 8.1 but no official announcement yet.

Tons of announcements going on though, almost hard to keep up. ;)

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Finally I bought Lumia 1520 today. It is just awesome.

Glad you decided to pull the trigger. You won't be disappointed. I happen to believe you are now the owner of the best phone that Nokia offers (well except for the international versions that have Q wireless charging and 32 gb of memory).

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm really torn now. I have a 920 and it's getting long in the tooth. Do I wait for a new model 1520 that doesn't yet exist or do I buy a 1520 and get WP8.1 on it? I think what I will do is wait until WP8.1 gets rolled out on my 920 and then evaluate my needs.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I believe that this is only for "new" devices announced with WP8.1from the get-go/ (so far that is the Lumia 930, 630, and 635) There has been a rumor running around that ATT is planning on re-introducing the 1520 at some point with 8.1 but no official announcement yet.

Tons of announcements going on though, almost hard to keep up. ;)

ATT said they would be re-introducing the 1520 in the green color and maybe others with 8.1 preinstalled but I don't remember a timeframe for that

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm really torn now. I have a 920 and it's getting long in the tooth. Do I wait for a new model 1520 that doesn't yet exist or do I buy a 1520 and get WP8.1 on it? I think what I will do is wait until WP8.1 gets rolled out on my 920 and then evaluate my needs.

I'm mostly in the same boat. I'm leaning toward the 1520 but the 920 is the gift that keeps on giving so it's hard to justify spending extra money for a new phone when my current one is great. When you say "long in the tooth" is it looking old, acting old, or both? Mine is still pretty spry.

ketan2604

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I bought it for INR 39K from Mumbai & its in red color.

I am from mumbai too. you must have bought from alfa? pricing is quite steep in india. i m going to dubai next week n will get it from there in white color. will get it for around 29k.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I've decided to just use AT&T Next and do the 12 month version, so if something awesome comes out in a year, I can just hand the 1520 back to them and get a new phone. Best part = no monetary outlay, just a small installment payment each month, which is counteracted by the discount on AT&T's new plans when you don't use 2 year commitments. Freaking awesome option for technophiles like us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos