04-11-2014 11:42 PM
34 12
tools
    I might get a 1520. Do you guys recommend charging with the wireless charging plate that came with my 920?
    04-11-2014 06:44 AM
    When I got mine I tried using the USB port on my laptop to charge it and the charge rate was awful. I also tried other Micro USB chargers I had and still got a lack-luster rate of charge. I then tried the supplied charger and it charged just fine.

I would highly recommend sticking with the supplied charger.

Also, with reference to the part about a UK network not supplying chargers, the network in question is O2. I don't think it's for all phones though as my 1520 came with one. It seems to be mostly Android phones.
    04-11-2014 09:41 AM
    When I got mine I tried using the USB port on my laptop to charge it and the charge rate was awful. I also tried other Micro USB chargers I had and still got a lack-luster rate of charge. I then tried the supplied charger and it charged just fine.

I would highly recommend sticking with the supplied charger.

Also, with reference to the part about a UK network not supplying chargers, the network in question is O2. I don't think it's for all phones though as my 1520 came with one. It seems to be mostly Android phones.
    Charging via most USB ports will take at least 6 hours unless it is capable of supplying more than 500mA which some newer ports are, but not all. I'm glad USB is finally moving forward though on being able to supply more juice to devices. :)
    04-11-2014 09:51 AM
    Charging via most USB ports will take at least 6 hours unless it is capable of supplying more than 500mA which some newer ports are, but not all. I'm glad USB is finally moving forward though on being able to supply more juice to devices. :)
    Yeh, I quickly gave up on USB charging. Some of my ports are USB 3 but I don't know if that makes a difference. Quite a contrast from my old Lumia which would hapily charge through USB.
    04-11-2014 10:15 AM
    Yeh, I quickly gave up on USB charging. Some of my ports are USB 3 but I don't know if that makes a difference. Quite a contrast from my old Lumia which would hapily charge through USB.
    The battery capacity difference is probably pretty big though.
    04-11-2014 12:02 PM
    Actually, there's a lot of hogwash being spoken about official chargers.
    Any electronic device draws the current that it needs from the charger. If a device needs 1.5amps to charge and it's plugged into a charger that supplies 2.1 amps, the device will only draw 1.5 amps. The damage, if any, comes from excess voltage supplied by the charger. If the charger supplies 8v, but the device only needs 5v, damage will almost certainly occur. It's perfectly fine to use an iPad charger that supplies 2.1amps with any phone as long as the current is supplied at the correct voltage.
    If you connect a device that needs 1.5 amps to a USB port that only supplies 0.5 amps, it will simply take 3X longer to charge!

All this junk about only using 'official' chargers is simply so that people don't fry thir devices using a charger that delivers the wrong voltage..
    BaritoneGuy likes this.
    04-11-2014 05:03 PM
    Just received my 1520 today (yaaay!) and as awesome as it is, as it was only at 52% charge, I thought I'd plug it in and get it fully charged before I started configuring it. It's now nearly 5 hours later and the phone's only at 84% !!
    Is this normal - it seems a crazy amount of time to increase the charge by 30%.
    I'm using my iPad Air charger - it delivers 2.2A so it ought to charge a lot faster than it is. My 920 used to fully charge in a couple of hours from 2 or 3% with the same charger, so can any one tell me what's going on here please?
    I thought I would reply directly to you as there is a bunch of electrically incorrect information in the replies below.

First the cable/power brick supplied with the phone/tablet etc... is NOT a charger. It is an adapter that converts the wall electricity from AC to DC at a specific voltage and amperage rating. The charging circuitry is built into the device. It just takes what ever the adapter delivers to it and charges the device.

There is no requirement to use the OEM supplied adapter as long as you are using a decent quality one. If you are doing this then the only thing that affects the charging time is the output of the adapter. Most standard type adapters for phones are 500mA to about 700mA. My old BB would complain if it didn't get enough juice from the adapter. It would charge, just really slowly.

Now to your specific issue. One of the poster pointed out the difference in the size of the battery. This is going to have a difference on the charging time for sure. I don't have my 1520 adapter handy, but I think it is rated for around 1amp or thereabouts. That would mean that the charging circuitry in the phone would only draw up to 1amp regardless of how much juice the adapter is capable of providing. The phone "pulls" the electricity from the adapter. It is NOT pushed.

Also, add in the Apple factor. I have an older iPad adapter that I have used to charge phones for years. I got a Dell Venue 8 Pro and it will not charge it at all. I am able to charge the Dell with just about everything else.

It could be Apple weirdness, but my guess is the battery size more than anything else. Try the Nokia adapter, just for kicks and see. I would be interested in seeing the results.
    04-11-2014 06:25 PM
    Any electronic device draws the current that it needs from the charger. If a device needs 1.5amps to charge and it's plugged into a charger that supplies 2.1 amps, the device will only draw 1.5 amps. The damage, if any, comes from excess voltage supplied by the charger. If the charger supplies 8v, but the device only needs 5v, damage will almost certainly occur. It's perfectly fine to use an iPad charger that supplies 2.1amps with any phone as long as the current is supplied at the correct voltage.
    If you connect a device that needs 1.5 amps to a USB port that only supplies 0.5 amps, it will simply take 3X longer to charge!

All this junk about only using 'official' chargers is simply so that people don't fry thir devices using a charger that delivers the wrong voltage..
    +1520 You beat me to the punch.
    04-11-2014 06:28 PM

Or cheaply made chargers that over amp during the charge. It does happen with poorly made chargers.

BTW I do realize that the phones contain the charging circuits. I tend to use common vernacular since when I use correct terminology I get yelled at and called pedantic.
    04-11-2014 11:42 PM
34 12