Crazy *** charge time?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, they banned me for a week for being too honest and blunt with people.

With USB on PCs you're fine. The standard works out just fine that way.

However when using AC on phones with quick charge they tell you specifically to only use the adapter that comes with your device.

I was wondering where you were as I hadn't seen you on here. Good to see you back again. The moderators do seem to be very inconsistent on here I must say.

It was O2 in the UK that stopped including chargers with their phones, I'm not sure if it was all phones or just Nokia phones with wireless charging. The 925 that I have didn't come with a charger and their reasoning was because they said it was greener but I was told that it was to get people to buy the wireless charging case and pad. Luckily I had another 925 and I was able to use its charger.

Do you think that a lot of the problems people are having with batteries on a range of Nokia phones are caused by using the wrong charger?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering where you were as I hadn't seen you on here. Good to see you back again. The moderators do seem to be very inconsistent on here I must say.

It was O2 in the UK that stopped including chargers with their phones, I'm not sure if it was all phones or just Nokia phones with wireless charging. The 925 that I have didn't come with a charger and their reasoning was because they said it was greener but I was told that it was to get people to buy the wireless charging case and pad. Luckily I had another 925 and I was able to use its charger.

Do you think that a lot of the problems people are having with batteries on a range of Nokia phones are caused by using the wrong charger?

Thanks. :)

I have noticed that a lot of folks who report charging issues, odd reboots, and the like are using non-OEM chargers.

One poor guy on here bought his phone from someone who sent a non-OEM charger and the phone was just behaving terribly. He asked them to send him the correct one and they sent him another non-OEM one and things were still going badly.

I wasn't able to check in while I was 'gone' so I need to find that particular thread and followup. I do know some other people I have helped with troubleshooting admitted to using non-OEM chargers and their problems would lessen or go away entirely after a soft reset and only using the OEM charger.

I would notice odd issues on my old 900 when I would use the charger for my old HTC Arrive. Odd screen behavior, sporadic reboots, etc. One of my engineer friends that works in mobile told me to try using only the Nokia wall plug and cable. Sure enough the phone behaved perfectly. I tried the Arrive charger and boom, weird screen issues and reboots again.

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
When I got mine I tried using the USB port on my laptop to charge it and the charge rate was awful. I also tried other Micro USB chargers I had and still got a lack-luster rate of charge. I then tried the supplied charger and it charged just fine.

I would highly recommend sticking with the supplied charger.

Also, with reference to the part about a UK network not supplying chargers, the network in question is O2. I don't think it's for all phones though as my 1520 came with one. It seems to be mostly Android phones.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
When I got mine I tried using the USB port on my laptop to charge it and the charge rate was awful. I also tried other Micro USB chargers I had and still got a lack-luster rate of charge. I then tried the supplied charger and it charged just fine.

I would highly recommend sticking with the supplied charger.

Also, with reference to the part about a UK network not supplying chargers, the network in question is O2. I don't think it's for all phones though as my 1520 came with one. It seems to be mostly Android phones.
Charging via most USB ports will take at least 6 hours unless it is capable of supplying more than 500mA which some newer ports are, but not all. I'm glad USB is finally moving forward though on being able to supply more juice to devices. :)

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Charging via most USB ports will take at least 6 hours unless it is capable of supplying more than 500mA which some newer ports are, but not all. I'm glad USB is finally moving forward though on being able to supply more juice to devices. :)

Yeh, I quickly gave up on USB charging. Some of my ports are USB 3 but I don't know if that makes a difference. Quite a contrast from my old Lumia which would hapily charge through USB.

HomeyJay

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Actually, there's a lot of hogwash being spoken about official chargers.
Any electronic device draws the current that it needs from the charger. If a device needs 1.5amps to charge and it's plugged into a charger that supplies 2.1 amps, the device will only draw 1.5 amps. The damage, if any, comes from excess voltage supplied by the charger. If the charger supplies 8v, but the device only needs 5v, damage will almost certainly occur. It's perfectly fine to use an iPad charger that supplies 2.1amps with any phone as long as the current is supplied at the correct voltage.
If you connect a device that needs 1.5 amps to a USB port that only supplies 0.5 amps, it will simply take 3X longer to charge!

All this junk about only using 'official' chargers is simply so that people don't fry thir devices using a charger that delivers the wrong voltage..

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Just received my 1520 today (yaaay!) and as awesome as it is, as it was only at 52% charge, I thought I'd plug it in and get it fully charged before I started configuring it. It's now nearly 5 hours later and the phone's only at 84% !!
Is this normal - it seems a crazy amount of time to increase the charge by 30%.
I'm using my iPad Air charger - it delivers 2.2A so it ought to charge a lot faster than it is. My 920 used to fully charge in a couple of hours from 2 or 3% with the same charger, so can any one tell me what's going on here please?

I thought I would reply directly to you as there is a bunch of electrically incorrect information in the replies below.

First the cable/power brick supplied with the phone/tablet etc... is NOT a charger. It is an adapter that converts the wall electricity from AC to DC at a specific voltage and amperage rating. The charging circuitry is built into the device. It just takes what ever the adapter delivers to it and charges the device.

There is no requirement to use the OEM supplied adapter as long as you are using a decent quality one. If you are doing this then the only thing that affects the charging time is the output of the adapter. Most standard type adapters for phones are 500mA to about 700mA. My old BB would complain if it didn't get enough juice from the adapter. It would charge, just really slowly.

Now to your specific issue. One of the poster pointed out the difference in the size of the battery. This is going to have a difference on the charging time for sure. I don't have my 1520 adapter handy, but I think it is rated for around 1amp or thereabouts. That would mean that the charging circuitry in the phone would only draw up to 1amp regardless of how much juice the adapter is capable of providing. The phone "pulls" the electricity from the adapter. It is NOT pushed.

Also, add in the Apple factor. I have an older iPad adapter that I have used to charge phones for years. I got a Dell Venue 8 Pro and it will not charge it at all. I am able to charge the Dell with just about everything else.

It could be Apple weirdness, but my guess is the battery size more than anything else. Try the Nokia adapter, just for kicks and see. I would be interested in seeing the results.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Any electronic device draws the current that it needs from the charger. If a device needs 1.5amps to charge and it's plugged into a charger that supplies 2.1 amps, the device will only draw 1.5 amps. The damage, if any, comes from excess voltage supplied by the charger. If the charger supplies 8v, but the device only needs 5v, damage will almost certainly occur. It's perfectly fine to use an iPad charger that supplies 2.1amps with any phone as long as the current is supplied at the correct voltage.
If you connect a device that needs 1.5 amps to a USB port that only supplies 0.5 amps, it will simply take 3X longer to charge!

All this junk about only using 'official' chargers is simply so that people don't fry thir devices using a charger that delivers the wrong voltage..

+1520 You beat me to the punch.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Or cheaply made chargers that over amp during the charge. It does happen with poorly made chargers.

BTW I do realize that the phones contain the charging circuits. I tend to use common vernacular since when I use correct terminology I get yelled at and called pedantic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans