04-12-2014 12:42 AM
34 12
tools
    Just received my 1520 today (yaaay!) and as awesome as it is, as it was only at 52% charge, I thought I'd plug it in and get it fully charged before I started configuring it. It's now nearly 5 hours later and the phone's only at 84% !!
    Is this normal - it seems a crazy amount of time to increase the charge by 30%.
    I'm using my iPad Air charger - it delivers 2.2A so it ought to charge a lot faster than it is. My 920 used to fully charge in a couple of hours from 2 or 3% with the same charger, so can any one tell me what's going on here please?
    04-03-2014 11:32 AM
    2000 mAh on 920 vs 3400 mAh on 1520. Do the math. Also let the battery settle for a week or so, charge, discharge (don't let it go flat though, it's not recommended for li-ion batteries), just normal usage. After it settles it should be better. Try using a proper 'charging' cable as well, some phones tend to just pull 500mA when using a data cable because they thing they're connected to a PC usb port. Try different cables, though I think only bigger battery is the reason behind slow charging here.
    04-03-2014 11:43 AM
    use nokia charger , your battery can explode since it isn't designed to be charged by such high volt charger and congratulations
    04-03-2014 11:44 AM
    use nokia charger , your battery can explode since it isn't designed to be charged by such high volt charger and congratulations
    It's 5v, same as the Nokia charger. Hopefully no danger at all!
    04-03-2014 12:16 PM
    It's 5v, same as the Nokia charger. Hopefully no danger at all!
    but my ipad 3 came with 10 v charger , interesting apple changed this with lighting port ;)
    04-03-2014 12:31 PM
    but my ipad 3 came with 10 v charger , interesting apple changed this with lighting port ;)
    No, iPads have always come with 10W chargers ( 2A. X 5V = 10W)
    :)
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    04-03-2014 12:44 PM
    No, iPads have always come with 10W chargers ( 2A. X 5V = 10W)
    :)
    I will highly recommend you to use nokia charger supplied\bundled with Lumia 1520
    04-03-2014 12:49 PM
    No problem, I'll try the supplied charger. Hopefully it will make a difference.
    04-03-2014 12:53 PM
    Charge times are longer for the 1520 but I can get 36 hours from a full charge with normal (to me) used. I just charge my phone overnight when I'm sleep.
    04-03-2014 01:55 PM
    It shouldn't, all USB ports are rated at 5V. 10 may be watts. Any usb charger should do really, as long as voltage is the same. Device pulls desired amount of amps and watts, the numbers on the charger only mean what the charger can provide (but it's fine with giving less, if the device is pulling less).

I'm charging my tablet, phones, mouse and headphones from the same charger (nexus 7, 2A), and have been doing so for a year and a half and all my devices are still working.
    Now of course I'm not saying that you should come to me with broken devices because the charger broke them, I'm saying it's highly unlikely, and if that was the case, it would be a defective charger, not too much current.

check again if there is a V or W next to that 10. It makes a major difference because V stands for voltage and W stands for power.
    04-03-2014 02:03 PM
    Indeed. Do NOT use any charger other than the OEM charger. LiPo batteries are very picky about this and you can damage the phone this way...
    04-03-2014 04:23 PM
    It shouldn't, all USB ports are rated at 5V. 10 may be watts. Any usb charger should do really, as long as voltage is the same. Device pulls desired amount of amps and watts, the numbers on the charger only mean what the charger can provide (but it's fine with giving less, if the device is pulling less).

I'm charging my tablet, phones, mouse and headphones from the same charger (nexus 7, 2A), and have been doing so for a year and a half and all my devices are still working.
    Now of course I'm not saying that you should come to me with broken devices because the charger broke them, I'm saying it's highly unlikely, and if that was the case, it would be a defective charger, not too much current.

check again if there is a V or W next to that 10. It makes a major difference because V stands for voltage and W stands for power.
    Some newer devices use a quick charge technology that behaves differently than the standard you are used to. This is why everyone needs to start using the chargers that come with their devices.
    04-03-2014 04:24 PM

thanks it's 10 W :p
    04-03-2014 10:54 PM
    Some newer devices use a quick charge technology that behaves differently than the standard you are used to. This is why everyone needs to start using the chargers that come with their devices.
    What about when it's connected to the PC? That's a completely different charger too! And USB 3.0 can provide 5A! So should we avoid connecting our phones to the PC to transfer data and stuff because of different charging?
    I know using the official charger would be ideal, but then I'd need 7 different chargers in the house for one purpose and possibly in multiple locations (since batteries are crap nowadays and need to be charger all the time). The whole point of standardized charger is that it doesn't matter where you plug it.
    04-04-2014 02:25 AM
    I thought this too before i realised I can get 1 and a half days from a charge... its great :)
    04-04-2014 03:11 AM
    What about when it's connected to the PC? That's a completely different charger too! And USB 3.0 can provide 5A! So should we avoid connecting our phones to the PC to transfer data and stuff because of different charging?
    I know using the official charger would be ideal, but then I'd need 7 different chargers in the house for one purpose and possibly in multiple locations (since batteries are crap nowadays and need to be charger all the time). The whole point of standardized charger is that it doesn't matter where you plug it.
    Sorry, they banned me for a week for being too honest and blunt with people.

With USB on PCs you're fine. The standard works out just fine that way.

However when using AC on phones with quick charge they tell you specifically to only use the adapter that comes with your device.
    04-11-2014 12:24 AM
    Indeed. Do NOT use any charger other than the OEM charger. LiPo batteries are very picky about this and you can damage the phone this way...
    In the UK, at least one mobile phone operator has stopped supplying the USB power adapter, only supplying the cable, as they say "most people" have at least one USB adapter in the home. Of course, if you need one they'll supply one (I'm not sure whether for a cost or not).

I'm pretty sure that you can use any USB adapter with the correct cable.
    04-11-2014 01:45 AM
    In the UK, at least one mobile phone operator has stopped supplying the USB power adapter, only supplying the cable, as they say "most people" have at least one USB adapter in the home. Of course, if you need one they'll supply one (I'm not sure whether for a cost or not).

I'm pretty sure that you can use any USB adapter with the correct cable.

Who? So they are opening up the boxes and removing the supplied charger? What are they doing with them?

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    04-11-2014 03:18 AM
    In technology, the charger with ECC standard, not the nokia charger alone, fits the mobile phone exclude Lumia 1520. In general, the output is 5V-1A.
    04-11-2014 03:27 AM
    In technology, the charger with ECC standard, not the nokia charger alone, fits the mobile phone exclude Lumia 1520. In general, the output is 5V-1A.
    5V-1.5A in the case of the AC60 unit made by Nokia for the 1520.
    04-11-2014 03:44 AM
    Oh..I made input mistake. The charger with 15A+ output fits
    04-11-2014 03:57 AM
    You don't want to really step up above the 1.5A chargers. Too many reports of folks having issues trying to use 2.1A chargers. :(
    04-11-2014 04:02 AM
    Sorry, they banned me for a week for being too honest and blunt with people.

With USB on PCs you're fine. The standard works out just fine that way.

However when using AC on phones with quick charge they tell you specifically to only use the adapter that comes with your device.
    I was wondering where you were as I hadn't seen you on here. Good to see you back again. The moderators do seem to be very inconsistent on here I must say.

It was O2 in the UK that stopped including chargers with their phones, I'm not sure if it was all phones or just Nokia phones with wireless charging. The 925 that I have didn't come with a charger and their reasoning was because they said it was greener but I was told that it was to get people to buy the wireless charging case and pad. Luckily I had another 925 and I was able to use its charger.

Do you think that a lot of the problems people are having with batteries on a range of Nokia phones are caused by using the wrong charger?
    04-11-2014 04:51 AM
    I think, because of using it while its charging.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    04-11-2014 05:39 AM
    I was wondering where you were as I hadn't seen you on here. Good to see you back again. The moderators do seem to be very inconsistent on here I must say.

It was O2 in the UK that stopped including chargers with their phones, I'm not sure if it was all phones or just Nokia phones with wireless charging. The 925 that I have didn't come with a charger and their reasoning was because they said it was greener but I was told that it was to get people to buy the wireless charging case and pad. Luckily I had another 925 and I was able to use its charger.

Do you think that a lot of the problems people are having with batteries on a range of Nokia phones are caused by using the wrong charger?
    Thanks. :)

I have noticed that a lot of folks who report charging issues, odd reboots, and the like are using non-OEM chargers.

One poor guy on here bought his phone from someone who sent a non-OEM charger and the phone was just behaving terribly. He asked them to send him the correct one and they sent him another non-OEM one and things were still going badly.

I wasn't able to check in while I was 'gone' so I need to find that particular thread and followup. I do know some other people I have helped with troubleshooting admitted to using non-OEM chargers and their problems would lessen or go away entirely after a soft reset and only using the OEM charger.

I would notice odd issues on my old 900 when I would use the charger for my old HTC Arrive. Odd screen behavior, sporadic reboots, etc. One of my engineer friends that works in mobile told me to try using only the Nokia wall plug and cable. Sure enough the phone behaved perfectly. I tried the Arrive charger and boom, weird screen issues and reboots again.
    04-11-2014 06:27 AM
34 12