Lumia 1520 vs 930

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1520 at the moment. Phantom tap killed my love for the phone to the point it almost hurts. It's a shame really. My 930 will be here tomorrow. **** this defect. I'll miss the battery life.

The battery life for the 1520 is amazing despite the screen size and quality.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the difference is on the screen and not on the camera.

No I'm talking about comparing on my surface pro 3 in PhotoShop. Never compare screen to screen.

It's pretty noticeable. I'll post examples when I can

Last edited:

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
No I'm talking about comparing on my surface pro 3 in PhotoShop. Never compare screen to screen.

It's pretty noticeable. I'll post examples when I can

Thats odd...the 1520 and 930 packs exactly the same lenses and sensor so you should get exactly the same result. Maybe the algorithms on LC5 for the 1520 are different from the 930 but then again...thats odd.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thats odd...the 1520 and 930 packs exactly the same lenses and sensor so you should get exactly the same result. Maybe the algorithms on LC5 for the 1520 are different from the 930 but then again...thats odd.

I agree. I'm at a loss on this. I take photography seriously so I notice things that most people just dismiss or deem unimportant.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I'm at a loss on this. I take photography seriously so I notice things that most people just dismiss or deem unimportant.

Could you just chalk it up to variance in pictures? Like, based on the picture in its margin of error? I saw reviews of the Z2 and 1520 and I know the 1520 is better but the z2 pictures came out blurry. Having had the z2 I know it wasn't that bad... Do you know what I mean? Could the picture just have moved a little more or change in lighting momentarily?

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Could you just chalk it up to variance in pictures? Like, based on the picture in its margin of error? I saw reviews of the Z2 and 1520 and I know the 1520 is better but the z2 pictures came out blurry. Having had the z2 I know it wasn't that bad... Do you know what I mean? Could the picture just have moved a little more or change in lighting momentarily?

No because I consistently got the weird unrealistic effect on my 930 in multiple lighting situations. Dark, low, indoor, bright light etc. Richtone and hdr looked terrible. Posting up in a few minutes.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

I also take photography very seriously, so the only way to get this right is to take a shot with the 1520/930 in a closed and controlled environment and then you can see if there are any difference in the two shots.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
No because I consistently got the weird unrealistic effect on my 930 in multiple lighting situations. Dark, low, indoor, bright light etc. Richtone and hdr looked terrible. Posting up in a few minutes.

I almost don't use Richt Capture and so far I can't complain about my outcome but I don't have a 1520 so I can't compare it.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll preface this with saying that I have spent a long time photographing with Purview devices (can see my photostream on flickr) so It's not because I have no clue what I am doing lol.

Here are a few I dug up from the 930. 1520 doesn't do this over-saturation and aggressive noise reduction with smearing (or perhaps a problem with fusion parameter in rich tone):

These three are with no flash with Richtone enabled in moderate light. Notice how smoothed over the face details are and the over-saturation (poor skin tone) in all three.

Richtone issues #1 by Blue1k, on Flickr

Richtone Issues #2 by Blue1k, on Flickr

Richtone Issue #4 by Blue1k, on Flickr

This is the only flash shot I kept with richtone (rest were appalling even with adjusted flash level):
I look ridiculous in this shot as does my daughter lol

Richtone Issue #5 by Blue1k, on Flickr

Last one shows how much haloing you get with hdr mode. Shouldn't happen or if it does it should be a very minor amount. I can replicate this effect if I screwed up fusing images together manually by tone mapping incorrectly. The color balance is wrong too especially with blues which have cyan color tone way too saturated.

Richtone Issue #3 by Blue1k, on Flickr

Last edited:

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Before Denim did you note any problems? I don't get any of these results, my photos are smooth even with richt capture (saturation is trick to tell because is affected by the HDR enhancement)

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Before Denim did you note any problems? I don't get any of these results, my photos are smooth even with richt capture (saturation is trick to tell because is affected by the HDR enhancement)

Device came with Denim . I did have another 930 and it did not do this. The device shown above took awesome photos with Lumia Camera Classic but not new camera! On my 1520 both Lumia cameras (5 and classic) take great photos. I have no idea man. 😞

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
From what I know now. I would get a Nokia Lumia 930 as from what I read and experienced there are alot of defects when it comes to the display on the Nokia Lumia 1520 AT&T version I don't know about the Nokia Lumia 1520.3. The only bad thing is when you switch to the 930 you lose Glance which to some is a deal breaker as Glance really comes in handy.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm the opposite. I couldn't go back to the 930 after using a 1520 again. For me the bigger screen, larger battery, much louder speakers, glance, excellent outdoor viewing, quicker focusing, and clearer shots with Lumia cam 5, are my reasons to not go with a 930. Both are great phones but I think the 1520 is better for my needs and definitely better for photography and editing.

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm the opposite. I couldn't go back to the 930 after using a 1520 again. For me the bigger screen, larger battery, much louder speakers, glance, excellent outdoor viewing, quicker focusing, and clearer shots with Lumia cam 5, are my reasons to not go with a 930. Both are great phones but I think the 1520 is better for my needs and definitely better for photography and editing.
I like the glance feature alot so losing that getting a Lumia 930 is a deal breaker as glance comes in handy in alot of situations. I would have to get a non defective 1520 to enjoy it more.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I like the glance feature alot so losing that getting a Lumia 930 is a deal breaker as glance comes in handy in alot of situations. I would have to get a non defective 1520 to enjoy it more.

Ya I hear ya. My first 1520 had a defective camera with ois springs not working. Second was great but had a touchy screen. This one is solid. Ya I go through phones a lot. Lol.

But I'm sure there are many people who will love the 930. Still an awesome phone.

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I love my and the 1520 is just to big for me, even the 5 inch 930 sometimes gives me a headache to get to top with one hand.
Especially when I do truck. As the size gets very uncomfortable carrying it in my back pocket. Just not that practical for my usage.

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Ya I hear ya. My first 1520 had a defective camera with ois springs not working. Second was great but had a touchy screen. This one is solid. Ya I go through phones a lot. Lol.

But I'm sure there are many people who will love the 930. Still an awesome phone.
Due to the size and identical specs.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I still have both phones. If anyone would like to know anything in particular or see any shot differences or anything like that, feel free to quote me! On Monday my 930 is going back to Amazon. I'll be sticking with the 1520 as battery life and screen is better in my opinion. I must say that I'm surprised about the camera differences in saturation. Take a look at this thread that I started. I'll be taking some more pictures today to test them out.

Ahmed Monged

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I still have both phones. If anyone would like to know anything in particular or see any shot differences or anything like that, feel free to quote me! On Monday my 930 is going back to Amazon. I'll be sticking with the 1520 as battery life and screen is better in my opinion. I must say that I'm surprised about the camera differences .I'll be taking some more pictures today to test them out.

How are you dealing with the size? And what about the issues regarding the 1520? Do you have any? Also a small comparison would be great as well, as I am considering one of the two. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb