02-17-2015 11:29 PM
114 1234 ...
tools
    Thank you for that. I already have the nano SIM with my current device, so not a biggie.

I contacted the retailer that you had acquired the device from and I should be able to finalize shortly.

Thanks!
    I have this version 1520.3 from Omega Cell running on Bell which shares the network with Telus and it works fine. This phone even supports the new 700 MHz LTE frequencies that they are starting to turn on as well. In short, this should work on any Canadian carrier.
    04-24-2014 01:15 PM
    I have this version 1520.3 from Omega Cell running on Bell which shares the network with Telus and it works fine. This phone even supports the new 700 MHz LTE frequencies that they are starting to turn on as well. In short, this should work on any Canadian carrier.
    Excellent news. I appreciate the effort sharing your experience. This is exactly the device that I am going to get, then.

I understand that I do not need to wait for carrier supported 8.1 update and that I should be able to download it directly from MS, correct?

Thanks!
    04-24-2014 04:59 PM
    Bought my 1520 from Omega Cell and upgraded it to WP8.1 just 3 days after receiving it.

Running great and not a single problem. Spending lots of time trying out new things with Cortana. The many other upgrade aspects of 8.1 make the phone experience much better.

The Bell LTE service usually means really fast web page loads but occasional slow loads for some reason. Definitely fast though most of the time.

Bought the wireless charging stand from the Yorkdale Mall Microsoft store. Great service there.

It has been true what others have said: the phone only seems big for a few days, and then all you notice is how great the screen is and bow fast the phone is overall.
    04-24-2014 10:11 PM
    Bought my 1520 from Omega Cell and upgraded it to WP8.1 just 3 days after receiving it.

Running great and not a single problem. Spending lots of time trying out new things with Cortana. The many other upgrade aspects of 8.1 make the phone experience much better.

The Bell LTE service usually means really fast web page loads but occasional slow loads for some reason. Definitely fast though most of the time.

Bought the wireless charging stand from the Yorkdale Mall Microsoft store. Great service there.

It has been true what others have said: the phone only seems big for a few days, and then all you notice is how great the screen is and bow fast the phone is overall.
    Thank you for that, sounds great. I am going to order the DT-900 wireless plate from the MS Store after I receive my device. I appreciate your input on this.

Thanks!
    04-25-2014 05:59 AM
    Excellent news. I appreciate the effort sharing your experience. This is exactly the device that I am going to get, then.

I understand that I do not need to wait for carrier supported 8.1 update and that I should be able to download it directly from MS, correct?

Thanks!
    Correct. The only thing we have to wait for is the firmware (cyan) part. I have had 8.1 since the day it came out and it works great after an initial soaking in period as all Windows devices need after a fresh install.
    04-27-2014 05:06 PM
    Correct. The only thing we have to wait for is the firmware (cyan) part. I have had 8.1 since the day it came out and it works great after an initial soaking in period as all Windows devices need after a fresh install.
    Thank you for your reply.

My only point of concern is availability of the 8.1 with Telus (which technically should be offered, as they sell WP 8 devices), same for the Cyan firmware update. Will both be coming via the carrier? Perhaps, it will be possible to simply download both of them directly from Nokia & Microsoft, and I mean both as GA releases (once become officially available), thus bypassing the carrier?

Any thoughts/suggestions? What would be the preferred/common practice?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Michael M Maslowski; 04-27-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    04-27-2014 05:16 PM
    Thank you for your reply.

My only point of concern is availability of the 8.1 with Telus (which technically should be offered, as they sell WP 8 devices), same for the Cyan firmware update. Will both be coming via the carrier? Perhaps, it will be possible to simply download both of them directly from Nokia & Microsoft, and I mean both as GA releases (once become officially available), thus bypassing the carrier?

Any thoughts/suggestions? What would be the preferred/common practice?

Thanks!
    Unbranded phones don't have updates from carrier---it's all done by Nokia/MSFT.
    Branded phones [the ones you buy from Bell/Telus/Rogers/Fido/etc are dependent on carrier]
    04-28-2014 01:32 AM
    Unbranded phones don't have updates from carrier---it's all done by Nokia/MSFT.
    Branded phones [the ones you buy from Bell/Telus/Rogers/Fido/etc are dependent on carrier]
    Thank you for clarification.

I guess my question is then, how is done by Nokia/MSFT? Do we get notified about pending updates once they become GA updates? Will we be getting a notification directly on the device, or will we have to go to a specific website?

Thanks!
    04-28-2014 05:43 AM
    Thank you for clarification.

I guess my question is then, how is done by Nokia/MSFT? Do we get notified about pending updates once they become GA updates? Will we be getting a notification directly on the device, or will we have to go to a specific website?

Thanks!
    My 1520 from Omega Cell is unlocked, not unbranded so when the carrier (Costa Rica I think) certifies the update it will be pushed OTA from MS just like for any other update. For truly unbranded they come from MS and you will get a notification saying that an update is available.
    04-28-2014 12:42 PM
    My 1520 from Omega Cell is unlocked, not unbranded so when the carrier (Costa Rica I think) certifies the update it will be pushed OTA from MS just like for any other update. For truly unbranded they come from MS and you will get a notification saying that an update is available.
    I guess this is loud & clear now. I am going to proceed with the purchase shortly.

Thank you guys for your answers, you have certainly helped me a lot with this topic.
    04-28-2014 01:04 PM
    I wouldnt worry about getting firmware updates for my unbranded Nokia phone. When a firmware is available, Nokia releases the ROMs for every product code and makes them available online (if you know how to get them). Usually I use Nokia Care Suite to find out my phones product code and then download and flash the new ROM into it. This will of course wipe everything on the phone, but I can always have backups of everything and start afresh with the new firmware.

Nokia Care Suite is not publicly available to end users, but if you search online there are threads about how to download it and update it so that end users can make use of it. Just be careful when doing so because there is risk to end up downloaded harmful software.

By the way, I would still prefer to use this method to update my phone even if the update is pushed OTA. Just like formatting your PC and starting clean with a new system (if you have the ISO image), I like to have the new ROM image and do the same with my windows phone 😊
    04-28-2014 04:23 PM
    Nice review.
    How can one know if the 1520.3 RM-938 device is unbranded or just unlocked?
    04-28-2014 04:51 PM
    I wouldn’t worry about getting firmware updates for my unbranded Nokia phone. When a firmware is available, Nokia releases the ROMs for every product code and makes them available online (if you know how to get them). Usually I use Nokia Care Suite to find out my phone’s product code and then download and flash the new ROM into it. This will of course wipe everything on the phone, but I can always have backups of everything and start afresh with the new firmware.

Nokia Care Suite is not publicly available to end users, but if you search online there are threads about how to download it and update it so that end users can make use of it. Just be careful when doing so because there is risk to end up downloaded harmful software.

By the way, I would still prefer to use this method to update my phone even if the update is pushed OTA. Just like formatting your PC and starting clean with a new system (if you have the ISO image), I like to have the new ROM image and do the same with my windows phone
    I get it what you are saying, as I have played with dev releases of other platforms before. That being said, based on my personal experience, I need an impeccable phone in terms of software stability, and I will simply prefer to wait for the GA release and then install it.

If I read it correctly, the consensus here is that we will get a notification on our devices once the final release (GA) is ready to install. I am assuming that the update will include firmware update as well.

Thank you.
    tsobol likes this.
    04-28-2014 04:53 PM
    Nice review.
    How can one know if the 1520.3 RM-938 device is unbranded or just unlocked?
    Branded means the phone has a carrier logo printed on the phone or carrier apps preinstalled, or carrier logo displayed on the screen when you turn it on. Locked means the phone would work only with SIM cards from that carrier.

The 1520.3 from omegacell is both unbranded and unlocked. It only starts in Spanish when you turn it on for the first time.
    04-28-2014 05:19 PM
    I don't know why people still hold on to this idea of "conditioning" their battery. This hasn't been necessary, or even BENEFICIAL for almost a decade. As soon as we started seeing lithium-based batteries in our various devices, completely depleting the battery in a regular basis became a bad idea. Lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries don't have a "charge memory" like the older rechargeables do. What they have instead is a LIMITED NUMBER OF POWER CYCLES. (complete depletion and recharge=1 power cycle) So what people are actually doing when they attempt to "condition" these batteries is killing them faster.

To make your lithium ion or lithium polymer battery last as long as possible, AVOID complete power cycles. Do this by charging your battery before it gets under 10% whenever possible. Partial charges are also ideal, but just leaving your phone on the charger all night isn't going to hurt anything. There is software built in to the core level of the OS to prevent overcharging. This is why you can't leave a WP device powered down while it charges.
    04-28-2014 05:20 PM
    The thing with updates on unbranded phones is that MSFT/Nokia pushes updates by region and not all at once. So sometimes, a UK update may come before or after. In this case the 938 is from "LT AUV" which I would assume is "Latin America". These updates are usually a few days to a week apart from other regions [if there is a difference in release dates].

For example, I had to nearly 9 days after China got their Nokia Black update on my L920 UK.
    04-28-2014 05:57 PM
    You can check for the update from the settings under 'phone pudate'
    04-28-2014 05:59 PM
    Branded means the phone has a carrier logo printed on the phone or carrier apps preinstalled, or carrier logo displayed on the screen when you turn it on. Locked means the phone would work only with SIM cards from that carrier.

The 1520.3 from omegacell is both unbranded and unlocked. It only starts in Spanish when you turn it on for the first time.
    I bought mine from B&H (website) so can i assume that my phone is unbranded? when it starts only Windows Phone with the blueish background appears (the first time it started in Spanish.....)

BTW how can i find the meaning of "lta_lta_905" , indicated after RM-938 under Settings>extras+info.
    Thanks.
    04-29-2014 01:40 AM
    I bought mine from B&H (website) so can i assume that my phone is unbranded? when it starts only Windows Phone with the blueish background appears (the first time it started in Spanish.....)

BTW how can i find the meaning of "lta_lta_905" , indicated after RM-938 under Settings>extras+info.
    Thanks.
    You seem to have the same model I got, so yes this is an unlocked and unbranded phone.

As for "lta_lta_905", I think LTA means Latin America.
    04-29-2014 11:40 AM
    Thanks for the reply and the assistance ! 👍
    04-29-2014 12:10 PM
    Hi,

Just to confirm, black Bandit ordered today from OmegaCell.

Waiting impatiently :)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Michael M Maslowski; 04-30-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    04-30-2014 08:50 AM
    You seem to have the same model I got, so yes this is an unlocked and unbranded phone.

As for "lta_lta_905", I think LTA means Latin America.
    There is also carrier branding buried in the phones settings. I am not sure how to pull it up, but you can actually find out which carrier it originally went to. So while it does not have a logo, there is still some internal branding that controls the update process. A truly unbranded phone will not have these settings and will be serviced directly by MS/Nokia.
    04-30-2014 10:31 AM
    There is also carrier branding buried in the phones settings. I am not sure how to pull it up, but you can actually find out which carrier it originally went to. So while it does not have a logo, there is still some internal branding that controls the update process. A truly unbranded phone will not have these settings and will be serviced directly by MS/Nokia.
    Good catch.

That being said, at least on the Omega Cell website, the warrant policy states that imported phones will typically not be serviced by the manufacturer (available here). I wonder if this statement extends to Nokia/MSFT.

My device is being shipped today, excited like a kid.

Thanks.
    04-30-2014 11:13 AM

My device is being shipped today, excited like a kid.
    Let us know how you find it. I'm sure you will love it.
    04-30-2014 11:29 AM
    I am interested in finding out which settings those are.

The phone I got from Omegacell has this product code:

059V6W7 VAR LTA 7R CV BLACK

You can see a full list of all product codes in this page:
    Product Codes of Nokia Lumia 1520 Seidea
    You will notice other variants have specific country or carrier name/abbreviation in them, while the product 059V6W7 (along with its white and yellow siblings) seem to have the least specific names.

VAR: Variant
    LTA: Probably Latin America
    7R: Not sure what this means, but usually a country symbol falls here
    CV: Country Variant, otherwise it would show the carrier symbol

I found my product code only through connecting my phone to Nokia Care Suite. It's not printed on the box and I am not sure if there is another way to find it.
    Last edited by MrGoodSmith; 04-30-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    04-30-2014 11:45 AM
114 1234 ...