Does Your 1520 Have the Touchscreen Sensitivity Issue (swipe detected as tap)?

LucasLumia

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
No, but sometimes the tile near the back button appears as if I would move it and no matter what I do it goes to the top. It's not that often but it happened many times.

iammarkcorella

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem whenever I swipe and it registers it as a tap. It's annoying especially when I'm at the homescreen and strolling through my pinned apps and suddenly, voila, an app is opening app! :p Hope this gets fixed on the next update. Overall, I still love my 1520!

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, first when I got my phone, it had it in a very annoying way (before updating), and I am one of the guys that can be really bothered even by the slightest of things. After updating my phone, it became a lot better, but I wouldn't say that the problem is entirely fixed. Here is my experience:

• Before the update, a swipe would be occasionally registered as a tap. Now it happens less frequently, but the swipe now won't register at all (does not register a tap anymore).
  • This happens a lot in the lock screen, when you wake up your phone and flick up to unlock the device.
  • It also happens in the start, especially if you were at the bottom of the start, pressed the back button to go up, then tried to scroll down again, it won't register the first swipe.
  • Also, when you are in an app, press the capacitive start button, then tried to scroll immediately, sometimes it won't work.
  • While in apps (like WPCentral), and scrolling horizontally, it sometimes registers this as a tap (especially when scrolling over the sections).

By the way, I am on 8.1 now, and it's still the same. I think it's related to either the firmware, or some Nokia system app is affecting this, as some people claim that if you turn on/off some Nokia stuff (glance, key vibration, etc..) it affects it.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This is so disappointing. 83% of you have this problem and only 17% say they don't. I understand this poll isn't exactly scientific, but my goodness. As a life-long Nokia fan it pains me to say that as much as I want to give Nokia my money, I can't between this issue and the disappointing 930 announcement. I want to upgrade my 920, even though it's working well, but on the one hand you have a blocky, Verizonesque "flagship" with no Glance and no SD card slot, and on the other the 1520 and its widespread screen issues.

The 920 had is problems when it came out, like any new phone does, but they affected no where near 83% of devices.

dandrayan

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a 920 to 1520 and was experiencing this issue, but the 8.1 update that I installed this morning seems to have mostly solved my issues. I still get an occasional stray tap instead of a swipe, but nowhere near as bad as before. I wonder if it was because some bad/conflicting settings were reset during the upgrade?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a 920 to 1520 and was experiencing this issue, but the 8.1 update that I installed this morning seems to have mostly solved my issues. I still get an occasional stray tap instead of a swipe, but nowhere near as bad as before. I wonder if it was because some bad/conflicting settings were reset during the upgrade?

I've read on the forum that some changes to settings temporarily fixes the issue, but that it comes back after a reboot.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I've read on the forum that some changes to settings temporarily fixes the issue, but that it comes back after a reboot.

I bought the 1520 even knowing about this issue, man it's not as bad as everyone is making it sound, and I am one of the people that gets annoyed by the slightest things (I cross my heart on that one). Believe me, it's of little annoyance, but it's there. For me personally, and I am sure of what I speak, the problem is that the swipe is not registered at all sometimes (not a tap anymore) and that is in certain areas only and not always too.

What I want to suggest is that go get this phone. A software update will fix it, I am sure that it's because one of Nokia's apps, either: Glance, double-tap to wake up, or the newly added 3 key vibration or sunlight readability mode. ITS ONE OF THOSE APPS that is causing this problem, I am almost 100% sure of this.

What I am saying is that this shouldn't stop you from buying the 1520, it's a fabulous device.

boasist

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I most definitely suffer, there was a small difference though when the update was released earlier this year. I doubt it, but I wonder if 8.1 will have any effect.

maverickrohan

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Guys ... I had the false clicks issue + two light leakage spots on my screen, I got the phone repaired through Nokia. They replaced the Screen and body, I know this cos I had few scratches on the lower back and the replacement phone did not. However the SD Card and SIM Card doors were from my original phone.

I tried all the updates + reset and none of them fixed the false clicks while swiping issue.

Pontifex

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Turning High sensitivity off didn't fix it after all :( Any hope that it will ever be fixed? It's not a dealbreaker for me but still..

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
This is so disappointing. 83% of you have this problem and only 17% say they don't. I understand this poll isn't exactly scientific, but my goodness. As a life-long Nokia fan it pains me to say that as much as I want to give Nokia my money, I can't between this issue and the disappointing 930 announcement. I want to upgrade my 920, even though it's working well, but on the one hand you have a blocky, Verizonesque "flagship" with no Glance and no SD card slot, and on the other the 1520 and its widespread screen issues.

The 920 had is problems when it came out, like any new phone does, but they affected no where near 83% of devices.

I agree this does seem dissapointing and I am in pretty much the same position as you. I suppose are our options are one of the following:

1. Get the 1520 and put up with the issue
2. Wait for Lumia Cyan and check feedback on wpcentral to see if it fixes the issue
3. Wait for green 1520 to be released and check feedback on wpcentral to see if it fixes the issue
4. Give up on the 1520 and get something else instead

It looks like a great phone to me except for the issue!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 1520 even knowing about this issue, man it's not as bad as everyone is making it sound, and I am one of the people that gets annoyed by the slightest things (I cross my heart on that one). Believe me, it's of little annoyance, but it's there. For me personally, and I am sure of what I speak, the problem is that the swipe is not registered at all sometimes (not a tap anymore) and that is in certain areas only and not always too.

What I want to suggest is that go get this phone. A software update will fix it, I am sure that it's because one of Nokia's apps, either: Glance, double-tap to wake up, or the newly added 3 key vibration or sunlight readability mode. ITS ONE OF THOSE APPS that is causing this problem, I am almost 100% sure of this.

What I am saying is that this shouldn't stop you from buying the 1520, it's a fabulous device.
Thanks for your feedback, that's a little bit more reassuring. I really want to buy that it's just a software issue but it's getting harder and harder to believe. Why wouldn't it have been fixed by now if that was the case? Or at the very least, why are new 1520s still being shipped with the same issues, like the RM-938 variant many here have purchased?

I'm still on the fence about it to be honest... I also kind of wanted to wait until the orange variant comes out, but who knows if it even will, and when. All we know is that a green version is coming, and I'd still rather yellow over that. Also, those colors may only be coming as neutered AT&T variants.

​Ahh, first world problems!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree this does seem dissapointing and I am in pretty much the same position as you. I suppose are our options are one of the following:

1. Get the 1520 and put up with the issue
2. Wait for Lumia Cyan and check feedback on wpcentral to see if it fixes the issue
3. Wait for green 1520 to be released and check feedback on wpcentral to see if it fixes the issue
4. Give up on the 1520 and get something else instead

It looks like a great phone to me except for the issue!

You nailed it. I kinda wanted to wait to see if an orange version would come out anyway. Do we have any idea when Nokia Cyan will be out? I guess it'll be just after the final OTA release of WP 8.1, but when will that be?

I think the longer we wait, the more tempted we'll be to just say "screw it" and wait for a new flagship either in Q4 or early next year.

I think I'm going to give myself until the first week or two of May to decide.

grc7777

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have kept touch sensitivity to "normal" , vibration off and glance at peek...now it is working properly...after update, it got so horrible that in 5 swipe touches, atleast 1 would become tap...update is required to fix this

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have kept touch sensitivity to "normal" , vibration off and glance at peek...now it is working properly...after update, it got so horrible that in 5 swipe touches, atleast 1 would become tap...update is required to fix this

Even after a reboot? It seems everyone that thought the issue went away had it come back.

grc7777

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Even after a reboot? It seems everyone that thought the issue went away had it come back.
I think I was hasty...now it happens once in while ...i have turned on vibration and later on did a soft reset ( power + vol down)

Hope update from Nokia comes soon n fixes it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon