Help me decide on Lumia 1520 color

whatchamacallitss

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello all.

Been a long time lurker here, and jumped into the WP ecosystem head first back in 2011 with the Lumia 800 - which I am still using.
I finally decided I needed WP 8.x, and a good camera as I like taking pictures and carrying my DSLR around all the time was proving too much of a pain, so I figured I'd go for the 1520 as it could replace my DSLR for most of my casual pictures on short trips/hikes/camping etc.

As can be quite apparent (since I'm still on my Lumia 800), I tend to take care of my devices and intend to keep them for a while (2 years minimum, if not 3). Hence, I'm a little unsure as to which Lumia 1520 to choose. Red and black are out of the question as I simply don't prefer such colors, and therefore my decision is left with yellow or white. I was leaning towards yellow, but I do find white elegant too. I'm just unsure how the white one will hold up to scratches and dust particles. I remember on my old iPhone 3G, even a small crack would stand out on the back and every speck of dust would stand out. I'm guessing the yellow is a lot more subtle in that sense as even if there is a small hairline crack, it will be less noticeable. I am also buying a matte yellow case off of eBay for the same reason.

Can users here who have had either the white or the yellow 1520s post their experience with the durability of their colors over the past few months? Pics would help, but that might be asking too much. Are there any cracks that form around the edges? Any areas that are prone to scratches etc.

Thanks for the input. I hope to buy the phone (RM-937) in 2-3 weeks :)

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello all.

Been a long time lurker here, and jumped into the WP ecosystem head first back in 2011 with the Lumia 800 - which I am still using.
I finally decided I needed WP 8.x, and a good camera as I like taking pictures and carrying my DSLR around all the time was proving too much of a pain, so I figured I'd go for the 1520 as it could replace my DSLR for most of my casual pictures on short trips/hikes/camping etc.

As can be quite apparent (since I'm still on my Lumia 800), I tend to take care of my devices and intend to keep them for a while (2 years minimum, if not 3). Hence, I'm a little unsure as to which Lumia 1520 to choose. Red and black are out of the question as I simply don't prefer such colors, and therefore my decision is left with yellow or white. I was leaning towards yellow, but I do find white elegant too. I'm just unsure how the white one will hold up to scratches and dust particles. I remember on my old iPhone 3G, even a small crack would stand out on the back and every speck of dust would stand out. I'm guessing the yellow is a lot more subtle in that sense as even if there is a small hairline crack, it will be less noticeable. I am also buying a matte yellow case off of eBay for the same reason.

Can users here who have had either the white or the yellow 1520s post their experience with the durability of their colors over the past few months? Pics would help, but that might be asking too much. Are there any cracks that form around the edges? Any areas that are prone to scratches etc.

Thanks for the input. I hope to buy the phone (RM-937) in 2-3 weeks :)

Red is great, but will inevitably have micro-scratches because of its glossy nature. Wait for green. It is an excellent bright color, with matt finish.

whatchamacallitss

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. Not sure if green would suit me, and I was hoping to get the phone soon, not wait another 3 months.
Just undecided between yellow and white. Any input regarding those two colors would be appreciated :)

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Not sure if green would suit me, and I was hoping to get the phone soon, not wait another 3 months.
Just undecided between yellow and white. Any input regarding those two colors would be appreciated :)

My dad owns a yellow Lumia 1320. It looks good. In the showroom, when I saw yellow matt 1020, it was looking like a premiumed, quality material, compared to glossy yellow Lumia 920. So my suggestion would be to go for yellow color.

But remember, with yellow color, the number of themes that will look good are vrey few like, yellow, orange, red. With white color, any theme can look good. But white color easily attracts dust.

whatchamacallitss

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
My dad owns a yellow Lumia 1320. It looks good. In the showroom, when I saw yellow matt 1020, it was looking like a premiumed, quality material, compared to glossy yellow Lumia 920. So my suggestion would be to go for yellow color.
But remember, with yellow color, the number of themes that will look good are vrey few like, yellow, orange, red. With white color, any theme can look good. But white color easily attracts dust.

Thanks. Thats a good point, I forgot about the theme colors completely. I'll take that into consideration too.
I guess that also means that whatever background image I choose with the new WP 8.1 update will also need to look good with a yellow phone. Hmmm.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I had a 928 with a glossy finish. They both have an aluminum shell. The white on the 928 held its own for a bit.

Minor scratches but not obvious unless you actually took the time to scan your device.

Stains weren't too much of an issue. Unless you got paint on it, which I did.

I ended up getting a case because the finish of the gloss lacked traction - Incipio feather case.

Sorry it wasn't on a 1520 per se, but I would assume the coatings on the 1520 should be more advanced in some ways.

If anything, hold it in your hands. Only then will the 1520 will decide if you are its holder. Then you can cast digital spells.

Shiba_Ranjan

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my Lumia 1520 just 2 days back.. It's a red one, but my 2nd choice was yellow.. Yellow would be better den white as you mentioned there can be stains or spots from outside, so my suggestion would be yellow n yellow is trendier too..

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Haha the dilemma... Personally I got Lumia 625 and I love it so I decided to get all 5 shell colours for it... Got them all, yellow came with the phone, orange came for free when I registered on Nokia.com, I got the rest on eBay for 7 euro each, and i just change them every now and then. I couldn't choose the one I liked the most but I use yellow the most because I got lots of protective cases that go with yellow...

whatchamacallitss

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I had a 928 with a glossy finish. They both have an aluminum shell. The white on the 928 held its own for a bit.
Minor scratches but not obvious unless you actually took the time to scan your device.
Stains weren't too much of an issue. Unless you got paint on it, which I did.
I ended up getting a case because the finish of the gloss lacked traction - Incipio feather case.
Sorry it wasn't on a 1520 per se, but I would assume the coatings on the 1520 should be more advanced in some ways.
If anything, hold it in your hands. Only then will the 1520 will decide if you are its holder. Then you can cast digital spells.

That's true about glossy backs more prone to micro-cracks.

I purchased my Lumia 1520 just 2 days back.. It's a red one, but my 2nd choice was yellow.. Yellow would be better den white as you mentioned there can be stains or spots from outside, so my suggestion would be yellow n yellow is trendier too..

Haha yes. Yellow is trendier. But I hope it doesn't stand out too much!

Haha the dilemma... Personally I got Lumia 625 and I love it so I decided to get all 5 shell colours for it... Got them all, yellow came with the phone, orange came for free when I registered on Nokia.com, I got the rest on eBay for 7 euro each, and i just change them every now and then. I couldn't choose the one I liked the most but I use yellow the most because I got lots of protective cases that go with yellow...

Hmm. Too bad the 1520 doesn't come with interchangeable backs. I prefer the unibody anyways.

I'm hoping some long time users of either the white or yellow 1520 can chime in with their experience soon lol

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Bought my white 1520 from the Microsoft store the day it came out and I got a free white Nokia flip cover. The flip cover has saved my phone from 2 or 3 pretty nasty 5 ft. drops and every time I take off the Nokia cover, the phone itself is pristine! No scratches, scuff marks or stains anywhere. Too bad I can't say the same for the flip cover! :smile:

whatchamacallitss

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Bought my white 1520 from the Microsoft store the day it came out and I got a free white Nokia flip cover. The flip cover has saved my phone from 2 or 3 pretty nasty 5 ft. drops and every time I take off the Nokia cover, the phone itself is pristine! No scratches, scuff marks or stains anywhere. Too bad I can't say the same for the flip cover! :smile:

Thanks for the input. I'll be putting a case on mine for sure :)

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I originally ordered yellow, its my favorite color and I have a yellow 920. Now I have white. The sheer size of the phone though, just stood out too much in yellow and I find the white more elegant for a phone this size. The theme choices and how they look on the phone is also another big factor. As mentioned, all themes look great on white. Just sucks there are other phones that are white.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I originally ordered yellow, its my favorite color and I have a yellow 920. Now I have white. The sheer size of the phone though, just stood out too much in yellow and I find the white more elegant for a phone this size. The theme choices and how they look on the phone is also another big factor. As mentioned, all themes look great on white. Just sucks there are other phones that are white.

I'm considering a 1520 after the disappointment of the 930 announcement. I have a yellow 920 and think I may get a yellow 1520, but I had the same thought process as you... maybe that's a little big for yellow. I'm considering red and white. I already have a red 2520 though, and the camera hump looks a little more pronounced with a glossy finish. Long story short, I think I'm narrowing it down to white or yellow.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering a 1520 after the disappointment of the 930 announcement. I have a yellow 920 and think I may get a yellow 1520, but I had the same thought process as you... maybe that's a little big for yellow. I'm considering red and white. I already have a red 2520 though, and the camera hump looks a little more pronounced with a glossy finish. Long story short, I think I'm narrowing it down to white or yellow.

I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't get yellow. I'm still trying to muster up and get the rm-938. And I'm again considering getting yellow. I had them both for a few days somdid some tests in the mirror and such. Lol! The yellow just looked nuts up to your ear! White just looks huge, but ever so slightly more elegant as opposed to standout-ish.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yellow. Black and white are no fun, boring colors. Maybe you need that if you have to wear a suit to work. But if you don't, live a little and go yellow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster