New 1520 Owner - No 2G only option?

crazy elf

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I have absolutely no problem making a full day one less than half battery on 4g. If I don't do much but just check email and such I use less 20% battery. And that's all on 4g

Sent from my big red Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Only 2G is useless. I tested it. Can't see any difference.
And as posted above:

THE BATTERY LIFE OF THE 1520 IS MASSIVE!!!

Squeez out another hour out of 100 hours is quite nonsense.
But if you have to....good luck with that, enjoy your slow internet

- Tapatalk -

I use Nokia Insider for my Lumia 920. I always keep 2G. But when I am using mobile data, I first turn it on and then switch from 2G to 3G. This whole process doesn't even take 10 seconds. Once I am done, I turn off mobile data and switch back to 2G. Once I get green Lumia 1520, I will follow the same procedure.

Rasahi

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Jeez! All that just to launch Field Test Mode?!?

I can accomplish the same thing on my phone by just going to the dialer and dialing ##3282#

I would reply the same when i was with L920. But its complete different with L1520.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
People tell you it is useless. What's so hard to accept it?

- Tapatalk -

I thought you said "bye" in you previous post but your back again, can't you accept it!

Who are you to tell what settings someone else should have on their phone.

I think this site need some moderators, real ones.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
God forbid I use my phone the way I want to.. I'm ever so sorry I don't need 3G and 4G while I'm working and my phone is essentially doing nothing. Oh no, wait...

I don't really understand what the issue is with me asking if the option is there on other 1520s, since my previous Windows Phone had the option. Almost comes across as if you're trolling.

I don't see the problem with you asking either, I tried 2g last night on mine and over 7 hours I lost 1% compared to 3g where I would loose 3-4%

Maybe there is some sort of envy going on, there are a lot of people out there that have (other) issues. I'm not pointing out anyone in particular by the way!

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Few phone minutes, few data

Yeah -- that's me: 150..300 minutes talk per month, that makes not more than an average of 5..10 min per day. I have a 50 MB data flat, and hardly ever use it up (which makes for ~ 1.5 MB/day). So I'm mostly left with "standby":
?~UMTS StdBy 15 mW
?~GSM StdBy 10 mW

Consider that your screen uses 400..800 mW on average when turned on, a difference of 5 mW can safely be ignored. Besides, the little data even compensate -- but I get ahead of myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 24/7 caller with no time for data

...better switches to 2G:
?~UMTS Tel 800 mW
?~GSM Tel 400 mW

As you can see, when on-call, 3G uses about twice as much juice than 2G would use (and you don't speak faster on 3G -- a call is a call, and will take the same time). So if you spend a lot of time in calls, and have only little data traffic, you're much better off with 2G/GSM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few phone minutes, but big data sucker

Here comes the big surprise: This group saves a lot when sticking with 3G/UMTS:
?~UMTS XFER 1200 mW
?~EDGE XFER 1000 mW

Doesn't look like a huge difference? OK: looking on "how much does it suck per minute" might not make the big deal. So we need a second component:
?~UMTS speed dl/ul 7/1 MBit/s (HSDPA/HSUPA)
?~EDGE speed dl/ul 200/100 kbit/s

You see I assumed max speed for EDGE, but not the state-of-the-art (20 MBit/s downstream) for UMTS. UMTS coverage might differ between areas, but the 7+ MBit/s should be available everywhere. Now let's look how long the download/upload of 1 MB data takes, and how much juice that corresponds to:
?~UMTS 1MB dl/ul 1s/8s ~ 1200/9600 mWs
?~EDGE 1MB dl/ul 40s/80s ~ 40.000/80.000 mWs

That's about a factor of 1:7 for upload, and even more than 1:30 for download!

So yeah: This group is definitely better off sticking to 3G!!!

Multi-Tasker: 24/7 on call while using full data

This now very much depends on what "full data" stands for, and if you're really a 24/7 on-call-boy (or girl). No clear answer for this, you must put your own data into the equation and do the calculation. It's rather 50:50 -- as with group #1, you might run a "zero growth" -- or tend to either group 2 or group 3.

Special case: The "hopper"

Especially in rural areas, coverage might be, humm, "slippery". Your device might be permanently toggling between 2G and 3G, always on the hunt for the better signal. Here all the above might become relative, as the toggling itself is drinking the juice. If you are in such a situation: Check to which of the 4 groups above you fit best, and fix your device to either 3G or 2G, depending on.

Btw: A similar situation would be if you've got the idea to toggle between 2G/3G whenever you switch your display off/on. As the toggling requires up to 10s full-power (to find the corresponding stations; 2G and 3G use different frequencies), you wouldn't really "save juice".

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! That's the information I wanted to know. Instead of being told I shouldn't want to have 2G available on my phone.

Anytime. I did wonder it too as it is a weird feature to miss out when my previous L820 had it. My phones does use 2G when it can't find any higher, just can't get the manual option. Not that I would want too :p just kidding.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It must be an O2 thing then because I can select 2g only if I want on mine even when I put my O2 sim in it. My 1520 is Vodafone unlocked.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
If you read my last detailed post, you see that it does in fact make almost no difference.

Can you explain then how my phone when on 2g used 1% as opposed to the 3-4% it would have used on 3g The op did ask about 2g setting for when he wasn't using his phone.

This really seems to be bothering you doesn't it, quite enjoying it myself I must say.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I copied the post from another forum. But I have the same experience, in MOST cases 2G doesn't save juice. And if, then not much. So for very little % so much work going through menus...not efficient.

- Tapatalk -

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I just repeat myself here. 1520 got plenty of battery capacity. As described in my detailed post above(did you read it?), in most scenarios its useless or worse than 2G. If you still want to change it every day, your choice.
I'm out.

- Tapatalk -

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos