New 1520 Owner - No 2G only option?

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
HI everyone!

I recently upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 1520 on O2 UK. I previously had a Lumia 520 (+1000) after my old Blackberry Bold had a serious failure, which I ditched and stuck with the Lumia.

Anyway, back on topic. My Lumia 520 had an option for 2G connection only, but it appears my Lumia 1520 only has 3G and 4G which can't help battery life much.

Is this the same on all 1520s or is it a change made by my carrier?

Thanks all for any help.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
HI everyone!

I recently upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 1520 on O2 UK. I previously had a Lumia 520 (+1000) after my old Blackberry Bold had a serious failure, which I ditched and stuck with the Lumia.

Anyway, back on topic. My Lumia 520 had an option for 2G connection only, but it appears my Lumia 1520 only has 3G and 4G which can't help battery life much.

Is this the same on all 1520s or is it a change made by my carrier?

Thanks all for any help.

I think that option is provided by your operator

paqpaqpaq

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
hey, update us once you get your 1520 to 2G network. im buying myself too at the end of the month and would reconsider if battery life (on 2G) is less than 2-days.

i'd be waiting and getting the 930 if battery life of 1520 in 2G sucks

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
According to gsmarena:
Stand-by Up to 768 h (2G) / Up to 768 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 27 h 40 min (2G) / Up to 25 h (3G)

Not that much of a difference. I tried switching between 2G, 3G and 4G on my 925, and haven't seen any improvements in leaving it at 2G. It you leave it on low speed, it just means it has less access points to connect to (because 3G and 4G are out of the question) and it may have to work with weaker signal because of that, which drains battery even more. It's up to you really, but I left mine on 4G. You could just disable data all together, 2G is super slow anyway.

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Only 2G is useless. I tested it. Can't see any difference.
And as posted above:

THE BATTERY LIFE OF THE 1520 IS MASSIVE!!!

Squeez out another hour out of 100 hours is quite nonsense.
But if you have to....good luck with that, enjoy your slow internet

- Tapatalk -

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Because your phone last easly one day, maybe two. And you can squeeze out one more hour (maybe?) if you switch. 2G needs more energy if you browse(or call? one way or the other).
So you do work and click around and worry about useless things. But if it makes you happy...
If you have good signal or don't move at work (office) the phone doesn't have to switch between 2/3G anyway.

- Tapatalk -

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
While I'm busy working, I will most certainly enjoy my slow 2G internet. Not sure why you seem to have taken such offence to the prospect of putting my 1520 on 2G.

look at what your saying, your working and don't use your phone much so what's the point? The standby time on the 1520 is biblical no need to force 2g. Anyways 3g blows and is about useless for anything other than making a call and sending text so I can only imagine how horrific 2g must be, the rare times my signal hits edge (2g I believe) it is utterly useless might as well have a flip phone.
The small amount of battery you save is wasted on the time the screen is on waiting on a slow connection.

Sorry for the rant but just makes no sense to get a top of the line phone then turn everything off to the point where its no longer a smart phone

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
look at what your saying, your working and don't use your phone much so what's the point? The standby time on the 1520 is biblical no need to force 2g. Anyways 3g blows and is about useless for anything other than making a call and sending text so I can only imagine how horrific 2g must be, the rare times my signal hits edge (2g I believe) it is utterly useless might as well have a flip phone.
The small amount of battery you save is wasted on the time the screen is on waiting on a slow connection.

Sorry for the rant but just makes no sense to get a top of the line phone then turn everything off to the point where its no longer a smart phone

God forbid I use my phone the way I want to.. I'm ever so sorry I don't need 3G and 4G while I'm working and my phone is essentially doing nothing. Oh no, wait...

I don't really understand what the issue is with me asking if the option is there on other 1520s, since my previous Windows Phone had the option. Almost comes across as if you're trolling.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
God forbid I use my phone the way I want to.. I'm ever so sorry I don't need 3G and 4G while I'm working and my phone is essentially doing nothing. Oh no, wait...

I don't really understand what the issue is with me asking if the option is there on other 1520s, since my previous Windows Phone had the option. Almost comes across as if you're trolling.

Exactly your phone is doing nothing. And will continue to do nothing regardless if its 2g LTE or WiFi unless your using it in witch 2g will use more battery then 3 or 4g. As far as trolling naw sport just stating facts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz