Battery Time - How long can you get on the Nokia 1520?

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else but I can't stand the idea of my battery going below 30%, literally it causes me stress. I don't understand why people don't put their phones on charge at night and let it run to sub 10%. I have a charger at home, my girlfriends, work and my car. I even have a battery pack in my laptop bag just in case my phone caught short with a sudden power drain. Now in the past this has all been an essential requirements because I have owned phones with batteries with the power of a wet fart. iPhones, Android and Windows Phones all with the same problem from typical everyday use, not watching lots of video or hardcore gaming. Three weeks ago I bought a Nokia Lumia 1520 and, despite being annoyed with the charge time, I was god smacked with length of the battery. Now I only charge it every two nights, no need for the car unless I'm doing travel and no need to charge it at work.

With this in mind I was wondering what everyone else's experiences are and to ask if people could post screen shots of the battery settings showing the "last charge" and "remaining"? I was intending to start this off but like the coffee withdrawn ***** I am I put it on charge on my way to work. Also I am travelling across the country tomorrow so it will be plugged in for the Sat Nav but I will do it at the end of the weekend. So far the best I have had is:

Time since last charge = 1 day 13 hours
Remaining time = 7 hours

I then needed to use the Sat Nav and put the USB in.

So over to you.... :eek:rly:

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
With barely use my phone can last 4 days. Just today I put it on charging when it has 33% and time since last charging 3 days 7 hours.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I find the 1520 to have the best battery of any smartphone I've had to date.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140403_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140403_0001.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 45

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else but I can't stand the idea of my battery going below 30%, literally it causes me stress. I don't understand why people don't put their phones on charge at night and let it run to sub 10%. I have a charger at home, my girlfriends, work and my car. I even have a battery pack in my laptop bag just in case my phone caught short with a sudden power drain. Now in the past this has all been an essential requirements because I have owned phones with batteries with the power of a wet fart. iPhones, Android and Windows Phones all with the same problem from typical everyday use, not watching lots of video or hardcore gaming. Three weeks ago I bought a Nokia Lumia 1520 and, despite being annoyed with the charge time, I was god smacked with length of the battery. Now I only charge it every two nights, no need for the car unless I'm doing travel and no need to charge it at work.

With this in mind I was wondering what everyone else's experiences are and to ask if people could post screen shots of the battery settings showing the "last charge" and "remaining"? I was intending to start this off but like the coffee withdrawn ***** I am I put it on charge on my way to work. Also I am travelling across the country tomorrow so it will be plugged in for the Sat Nav but I will do it at the end of the weekend. So far the best I have had is:

Time since last charge = 1 day 13 hours
Remaining time = 7 hours

I then needed to use the Sat Nav and put the USB in.

So over to you.... :eek:rly:
Windows phones consume less power naturally. Your 1520 (3400mAh) lasts for minimum 3 days for normal use like normal phone calls, videos, musics etc without any gaming and internet browsing. Disable background apps to get even more time. My phone L520 (1430mAh) is lasting for 22hrs to 1 day 2hrs for normal usage. Once I tested for its standby time for my curiosity (with all background apps blocked) and it lasted for 6 days 18 hrs (from 100% to 3% battery), in the mean time I only take up calls but not used phone for any other purpose.

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Windows phones consume less power naturally. Your 1520 (3400mAh) lasts for minimum 3 days for normal use like normal phone calls, videos, musics etc without any gaming and internet browsing. Disable background apps to get even more time. My phone L520 (1430mAh) is lasting for 22hrs to 1 day 2hrs for normal usage. Once I tested for its standby time for my curiosity (with all background apps blocked) and it lasted for 6 days 18 hrs (from 100% to 3% battery), in the mean time I only take up calls but not used phone for any other purpose.

This is impressive. I am on a mission now to get the battery past two days, any other tips then mentioned? I do use my phone as my main device/reading/news/music etc

One other points, if i turn off Facebook and Twitter background tasks will it stop the notifications?

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Its been more than a month.i charge when its 20%. With moderate use I charge it every other day .moderate use is almost 2-3 hrs browsing 1 hr video and some calls and text.with heavy use (a 720p movie almost full brightness and heavy browsing) it will be just enough to last a day.

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
This is impressive. I am on a mission now to get the battery past two days, any other tips then mentioned? I do use my phone as my main device/reading/news/music etc

One other points, if i turn off Facebook and Twitter background tasks will it stop the notifications?

It depends on battery capacity and your usage. Lumia 520 doesn't last for 2 days for normal use, and my phone lasts a complete day because I've never installed Facebook, Instagram etc. social networking apps, and I always block background apps, switch off Wifi or Bluetooth when not in use, and I put battery saver to "always" mode. But I use internet on Wifi for more than 2 hrs a day. for this usage Lumia 520 lasts for 1 day 8hrs or even more. All the battery comes down only when I am using internet on 3G or when playing games like Asphalt 8.

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
It depends on battery capacity and your usage. Lumia 520 doesn't last for 2 days for normal use, and my phone lasts a complete day because I've never installed Facebook, Instagram etc. social networking apps, and I always block background apps, switch off Wifi or Bluetooth when not in use, and I put battery saver to "always" mode. But I use internet on Wifi for more than 2 hrs a day. for this usage Lumia 520 lasts for 1 day 8hrs or even more. All the battery comes down only when I am using internet on 3G or when playing games like Asphalt 8.

Well i've done a bit of tinkering, put the phone back on charge so lets see what happens.

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Any suggestions for conditioning the battery of the 1520? Charge it to full capacity and let it drain completely a few times? Ordered one that should arrive tomorrow.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
So what should be done for modern batteries?

Just charge it whenever you like. Lithium Polymer batteries require no conditioning. The charging circuitry and Windows itself take care of the battery. These types of batteries are typically rated for 300 - 400 charging cycles. A charging cycle is a COMPLETE discharge and charge event. So if your phone is down to 80% and you charge it that would only be 20% of a charging cycle. Also, the phone will stop charging when it is full and put it into maintenance mode. That is why some folks report pulling their device off the adapter and only have 95%. Your laptop/tablet likely does this as well.

I generally charge whenever power is available.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Actually a lipo battery will get better after "broken in". I race 1/10 and 1/8 electric RC and use lipos.
Its very common to see longer running times and more punch if I put 2-3 easy cycles on a battery, 1c charge then 30amp discharge to 60%. Keep them out of high heat 125f + and don't run them past 3.2 volts per cell and they will last a long time, I have packs that are 3 years old and work as new. A lipo has zero memory and it doesn't care if its changed at 20% or 95%.
Lipos dont ever go "dead" well run dead in a phone, the cutoff is probably between 3.1-3.4v, if a lipo is ran any lower then 3v per cell its 90% junk. If you have a devices that runs lipos and your not going to use it for a week or more (powered off) charge it to 50% longer than a week give it 65%, never store a lipo at 100% or below 40%.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually a lipo battery will get better after "broken in". I race 1/10 and 1/8 electric RC and use lipos.
Its very common to see longer running times and more punch if I put 2-3 easy cycles on a battery, 1c charge then 30amp discharge to 60%. Keep them out of high heat 125f + and don't run them past 3.2 volts per cell and they will last a long time, I have packs that are 3 years old and work as new. A lipo has zero memory and it doesn't care if its changed at 20% or 95%.
Lipos dont ever go "dead" well run dead in a phone, the cutoff is probably between 3.1-3.4v, if a lipo is ran any lower then 3v per cell its 90% junk. If you have a devices that runs lipos and your not going to use it for a week or more (powered off) charge it to 50% longer than a week give it 65%, never store a lipo at 100% or below 40%.

My brother races them as well and he has some "spare" spare batteries and he has them charged to around 60% and stores them in his fridge if he is not going to be using them for long periods. I'm always taking the p!ss out of him about it but he says it is the best place to store them.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
My brother races them as well and he has some "spare" spare batteries and he has them charged to around 60% and stores them in his fridge if he is not going to be using them for long periods. I'm always taking the p!ss out of him about it but he says it is the best place to store them.

slows the discharge, I race almost every weekend so long term storage for me is about 2 weeks lol. They get a bad rap from people claiming there unstable, the only time I've seen them go poof is miss use , heavy crash or a dead short.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you want to increase battery time? Simple solution, do not look at battery level :)
Actually you cannot expect long time from modern smartphones if you want to use all power of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3