Lumia 1520 on Sprint (and other Questions)?

anon(8730639)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a Lumia 1520, and I was wondering if the unlocked international version works on Sprint. I'm going to be switching from AT&T to a smaller carrier and all of my choices use Sprint's stuff. My other question is which ones are matte/glossy (including the green one)?

latlazer

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
What about the 1520.3 version aka the RM-938? It has the bands available and I have found a reputable source for them. Plus my family has a Sprint family plan, so could I just add it onto our existing plan?

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
What about the 1520.3 version aka the RM-938? It has the bands available and I have found a reputable source for them. Plus my family has a Sprint family plan, so could I just add it onto our existing plan?

Sprint and Verizon are CDMA and AT&T and T-Mobile are not. The phone uses sim cards and Sprint and Verizon don't. You better do alot of research before you spend you money on that phone. Why not just get the Lumia Icon unlocked? It's a smaller 1520.

latlazer

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the help. I think I'll use ATT. However, ATT doesnt seem to offer nano SIM cards, the type that the 1520.3 uses.nDo you have any idea whether they actually do, since they have their own version of the 1520?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Sprint is CDMA, you can only use Sprint phones. Same issue with Verizon

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the help. I think I'll use ATT. However, ATT doesnt seem to offer nano SIM cards, the type that the 1520.3 uses.nDo you have any idea whether they actually do, since they have their own version of the 1520?

IPhone uses nano SIM, they offer it

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Sprint and Verizon are CDMA and AT&T and T-Mobile are not. The phone uses sim cards and Sprint and Verizon don't. You better do alot of research before you spend you money on that phone. Why not just get the Lumia Icon unlocked? It's a smaller 1520.

I would like to have the 1520 on Verizon, so that's why I found this thread. I understand an issue with the frequency bands would preclude it from working with a carrier, but I'm not sure the argument about sim cards is true.

I have the Lumia 928 which is a dual sim phone. Also all of my family's devices (iPhones, Droid) use Verizon sim cards. Is there something specific to the sim cards that would prevent the 1520.3 from working on Sprint or Verizon?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I would like to have the 1520 on Verizon, so that's why I found this thread. I understand an issue with the frequency bands would preclude it from working with a carrier, but I'm not sure the argument about sim cards is true.

I have the Lumia 928 which is a dual sim phone. Also all of my family's devices (iPhones, Droid) use Verizon sim cards. Is there something specific to the sim cards that would prevent the 1520.3 from working on Sprint or Verizon?

I say you gopher it - let us know how your calls & texts DON'T work.

Nothing specific about sim cards, just NOT the correct radio for Verizon (read the previous posts, Verizon is CDMA !)

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I say you gopher it - let us know how your calls & texts DON'T work.

Nothing specific about sim cards, just NOT the correct radio for Verizon (read the previous posts, Verizon is CDMA !)

I do apologize for posting a question in a Q&A forum. I'll remember not to do that in the future.
But thanks for being an arse about it. It really gives this place a real iPhone/Droid forum vibe.
​No really, ur great! .... muchas gracias!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
NO NEED to apologize ... after reading the previous posts, the issue IS Sim Cards ... GSM uses them, CDMA not as much (just for LTE)
Your sarcasm isn't tangent, simply correcting YOUR assertion.

Perhaps, I should've agreed w YOU - that w/b WRONG !
:cool: :eck: :confused: :eck: :cool:

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Succinctly, the Lumia 1520 (in any variant) lacks a CDMA radio ...
& your Lumia 928 is NOT dual sim, it has both CDMA & GSM radios (GSM for int'l roaming).

Last edited:

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok here is how it works.

US CDMA Carries (VZW, Sprint, etc): Use SIM cards on LTE enabled phones. The SIM Card uses LTE for data, voice and text on older CDMA networks. Instead of having to manually register the phone on the CDMA network, the LTE SIM card takes care of that in the background. Verizon's network would never allow it, but it's conceivable that you could find a GSM phone that is compatible with VZW's LTE bands and the data would work (again, they don't allow this).

US GSM Carriers (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc): Use SIM cards to register on the network (GSM, HSPA, LTE, etc). If the frequencies are compatible, the phones are compatible.

Now with the advanced cellular chips, its likely that one chip can handle GSM/LTE and CDMA, however they are not licensed by QUALCOMM to do so, so the abilities are disabled in the firmware.

Until everything runs off of LTE (VOLTE and messaging on LTE), you will not be able to use a purely GSM phone on US CDMA carriers.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Sim Cards ... GSM uses them, CDMA not as much (just for LTE)

That is incorrect, or more accurately, is no longer correct for Verizon.

Starting with Windows Phone 8, Verizon (but not Sprint) CDMA WP devices use SIM cards *even for CDMA* (not just for LTE). The relevant application on a Verizon SIM card is known as a 'CSIM' and it replaces the older NV-RAM CDMA configuration. Sprint WP devices still use NV-RAM for CDMA.

Of course, none of that changes the fact that a WP device intended for a GSM network won't work on Verizon or Sprint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos