Data sense on unlocked RM-940

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I've got an unlocked AT&T 1520 (RM-940, 32GB), and because it was AT&T sourced... no data sense. Not an issue on AT&T, but when I unlocked it and moved over to T-Mobile, I kind of missed it.

After upgrading the phone to 8.1 last night, I see a new tile at the bottom of the screen, and it says "Data Sense." Yay!

Unfortunately, I still can't get internet sharing to work on T-Mo with this phone. Boo.

Still, and improvement.

rxy3000

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, do you know if unlocking RM-940 would enable LTE band 4 on this phone? I want to move to Tmo but don't know if I can use Tmo's LTE with this device.

JamesJinSC

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been using Data Sense on my ATT 1520 since upgrading to 8.1 on 4/15. It seems to work accurately. I cannot explain how or why but I will take a screenshot:

datasense.jpg

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The 940 is the version with AT&T's hardware and software tweaks. One of those software tweaks is to remove Data Sense. If you install the Developer Preview of 8.1, you'll have Data Sense because it's part of the standard OS. However, when you upgrade to the released version, you'll lose it again since AT&T doesn't put Data Sense in the OS image for their phones.

There have been ways to use various Nokia support tools to flash other ROMs onto some phones. I don't recall if the 1520 is one that lets you do this and I can't tell you which tools or where to get them (search will be more effective than my memory!).

Regarding the missing band, the Developer Preview won't help (I think), but it's possible that one of the ROMs that you'll find by searching might "fix" things. I base this guess on the idea that Nokia likely tried to change as few things as possible between the 938 and the 940. I suspect that the radio module is the same, but with one band disabled in AT&T's software. (Whether there's an antenna attached for that band is a different question.) If you can get a 938's ROM onto a 940, you might have some success. (You'd also be voiding your warranty since flashing other ROMs is not a supported activity.)

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm still not seeing AWS H/H+ on my RM-940, even after the 8.1 developer preview. I'm assuming it's some AT&T specific tweak to the baseband, which probably isn't covered by the developer preview.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss