05-24-2015 12:26 PM
37 12
tools
    Hi guys

I absolutely love Windows 8.1 on my Sony Vaio laptop and I also love Windows RT 8.1 on my Microsoft Surface RT. But as far as phones are concerned, I have been using Android for a while now. My first and only Windows phone was the HTC HD7 with Windows Phone 7 in 2010. I loved everything about it but what made me switch to Android was the ability to see notifications at-a-glance without opening apps i.e. using widgets. However, as we all know Windows Phone has come a long way since then with the live tiles and Windows Phone 8.1 seems very exciting with Cortana, action cente etc. Add to this the fact that we use several Microsoft applications at work and the idea of having all these applications (such as Lync) on my phone is very appealing. I have always owned normal-sized phones (currently 4.7" HTC One X) and want to make the switch to phablets which is why I am seriously looking into getting the Lumia 1520.

Only issue I have is that the phone seems humongous (even for a phablet) judging from the actual specifications and video reviews. Unfortunately, Lumia 1520 is not on sale in stores where I live and the only option is to buy online which I don't mind but the disadvantage is that I can't actually get a feel for how big the phone actually is. I am a relatively short guy (165cm/5ft 6in). I have always used phones with two hands so that's not an issue. However I am worried if the Lumia 1520 will be cumbersome to carry around.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could share your experiences with the phone, in particular -
    1. How do you carry it around?
    2. Is it cumbersome to carry around in a pant/jeans pocket?
    3. Would you recommend that I buy this or wait for a slightly smaller, say 5.5" device if that ever materialises?

Thanks
    04-17-2014 04:55 AM
    Hi guys
    I would really appreciate it if you guys could share your experiences with the phone, in particular -
    1. How do you carry it around?
    2. Is it cumbersome to carry around in a pant/jeans pocket?
    3. Would you recommend that I buy this or wait for a slightly smaller, say 5.5" device if that ever materialises?

Thanks
    1) Generally in my shirt or jacket pocket when sitting. But when walking in my pants pocket
    2) I am always scared of breaking the screen on ANY smartphone, so I don't put it there unless I will be on my feet for a while.
    3) I had the Note 2 and sold it because I thought it was too big, I find the 1520 a lot more comfortable. I got use to the size quickly and will not want to go back to the dinky phones.

So go check it out at a store and see if you can handle it. Big phones are not for everyone. I love he new features in 8.1... Specially the swipe keyboard feature. I missed Swype when I left Android. I am loving that I have it back.
    Tom Snyder, Al4video and dpakrr like this.
    04-17-2014 05:12 AM
    Like the previous poster suggested, I visited a local phone store and did the one-hand operation test (type keypad then flick screen up). Weight felt great. 2nd test was front pants pocket. I'm 179cm and it fits alright in khakis. Definitely not tight blue jeans. Passes the test and now I'm happily rockin a wp8.1 all-black 1520.

Be careful, you may find yourself using the surface rt less and the 1520 more... It's really that good!

Cheers
    oditius, Tom Snyder and dpakrr like this.
    04-17-2014 07:04 AM
    I carry mine around in the back pocket of my Khaki pants when I'm walking around all the time. When I sit down I take it out of my pockets and place it on my lap or put in my shirt/jacket pocket when available. When I'm walking around outside I wear a small back pack that has quick access side pockets (where I store when the phone won't be used).
    dpakrr likes this.
    04-17-2014 07:31 AM
    I don't have a 1520 yet (but will soon). I've carried all my phones including Note I and Note II in my right front pocket. It's the ONLY thing that ever goes there. I once tried carrying a Nexus 7" tablet in the same pocket and that was fine. So I anticipate that's where my 1520 will live.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums
    oditius likes this.
    04-28-2014 09:08 PM
    I don't have one yet but plan on getting a holster case and pair it with a TPU case for work. When on vacation or carrying it in my backpack I'll have a otterbox style case.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    04-29-2014 01:35 AM
    I use the PDair leather horizontal belt case and the Insipio nfg case along with a glass screen protector.

I love the protection all 3provide.

If and when Siedeo ever produces their line I'll go with them.

Mac

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
    kuffcakes likes this.
    04-29-2014 09:40 AM
    1. How do you carry it around? NAKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (although i have two cases).. i do use an anti-glare matte screen protector so it is not completely naked.
    2. Is it cumbersome to carry around in a pant/jeans pocket? sometimes but i rather it a little snug than loose where if i sit down then an iphone-like sized phone would fall out
    3. Would you recommend that I buy this or wait for a slightly smaller, say 5.5" device if that ever materialises? buy this for more than just the size but the beauty of the phone itself..
    04-29-2014 10:06 AM
    It's in my front pocket and very comfortable there, but it's usually on my desk when I'm working. I don't have any case or screen protector on mine.
    hasasimo likes this.
    04-29-2014 10:16 AM
    Is 1520 heavier than note 2 ??
    Is the size difference little or noticeable?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    04-29-2014 12:31 PM
    Is 1520 heavier than note 2 ??
    Is the size difference little or noticeable?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Depends on which case you have on it.

Size differences is noticeable in the width for me,but still is manageable.

Weight on mine is more because of the glass screen protector I am using, but overall more solid feel and quality of the device when no case or screen protector is on it.

Hands down a much better phone as compared to the Notes in fit finish and viewing.

Mac

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
    04-29-2014 12:47 PM
    When I was trying to make up my mind on buying the phone, I cut a piece of cardboard to match the size of the phone. This gave me a good idea for how it would feel to hold, carry in pockets, etc.
    04-29-2014 01:30 PM
    First, I have a 5 inch smartphone which was the largest I ever had, just prior to getting the 1520. The 5 inch is effectively the same so far as carrying it around, as most of the smaller phones I previously had. These are all expensive, potentially fragile devices no matter how small. For carrying around purposes, secure is as important as convenient. I have never damaged a phone by dropping it (knock-on-wood), likely because they have all been too big to just drop in my pocket and forget about them. OTOH, I have damaged, many, many bluetooth earphones over the years, in part because they were so small they'd fit anywhere. And I'd forget where I put them or accidentally pull one out of my pocket when I was taking out my wallet and the bluetooth would fall and break, or sometimes I didn't even realize I'd dropped them until they were lost. I have usually used cases and have always been more conscious of my phones, so I take better care of them.

I keep the 1520 in my front shirt pocket when in work. If I'm at home and wearing a pocketless shirt, I use a horizontal belt case. I recently went on a vacation where I wore casual shorts without a belt, so I took a vertical pouch case that had a belt clip on it, and that worked fine. It is a large phone. The screen real estate is worth the inconvenience to me. Hands down. I saw a video on Conectedly the other day about a new mini keyboard designed to work on a smartwatch and it looked like absolute, squnity-eyed, thick-fingered madness to me. You can do so much so well with a 1520 that it still feels like a miracle of miniaturization.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    04-29-2014 05:27 PM
    Did anyone accidentally scratched or broke the screen by bringing it inside the pockets? This thing is really huge, I'm pretty scared about carrying it in my jeans pockets.
    04-28-2015 10:55 AM
    It's fine for me, and I'm a smallish child... Works great in my massive school pockets, and even my tight jeans. If you would like to use a case, buy a THIN one. Can't stress that enough. Get a big bulky wallet one and it takes 5 minutes to get it into your pocket, plus...

'is that a tablet in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'

Good luck.
    04-28-2015 11:05 AM
    Just keep it in a different pocket than your keys and your golden
    04-28-2015 11:11 AM
    My pants' right front pocket is dedicated for phone storage. Its slim enough as to not bother me when im walking or even running, jeans are a different story though.

Im not using any case lately, i love the feel of a naked 1520. :)
    04-29-2015 06:20 AM
    I carry my 1520 ALWAYS in a shirt pocket and never in my trousers/pants. I hardly ever wear T-shirts. It has not fallen out yet but I am conscious not to lean forward too much!

When I bought mine I had no idea if it would fit so I did a little YouTube video to show it did!
    Must have filled a need because a couple hundred people have viewed it. It's on my Tom S channel under title:

"Nokia Lumia 1520 too big? The Shirt Test"

Since making the video I carry it now in one of those inexpensive clear "crystal" IMAK cases from Hong Kong which is transparent and sleek
    Montpbm likes this.
    04-29-2015 08:15 AM
    In my pocket
    04-29-2015 08:17 AM
    Inside jacket pocket when I'm wearing one. Front pants pocket by itself otherwise.
    04-30-2015 01:05 PM
    Just got a 1520 this past weekend. Carrying it in front pants pocket. works fine in docker style pants (although, the cut of the pocket makes it ride differently depending on the pair of pants. In some it angles a bit when I stand up with one corner poking out a bit and needs to be readjusted to ride straight up and down. Not sure if a wear spot will develop in those pants).
    Haven't tried it with my jeans yet, but assume it won't fit and I'll carry it in hand.

I had bought a L830 last fall after (as another poster mentioned) making mock-ups of each model from empty chocolate bar boxes. Walked around for a few days with each in the front pocket. The 830 felt much less bulky and roomier than the 1520, so I bought the 830. Since then, I've noticed I almost always pull the 830 out of my pocket anytime I sit down (car, office, home) and the 1520 feels fine standing or walking, so I picked up one off ebay to have more screen, more storage, and better resolution on camera pictures.
    04-30-2015 03:46 PM
    It usualy sits in book-case with my credit cards and cash. Yes it's bulky and vay bigger then i would like it..but concider protection i don't mind couple of cm on top. When on work it is in bag or desk, when home it's allways on desk. I'm scared for every smartphone and terified for this one. I allways use case, when i don't use book case i use hard one. Two hands when puting in pocket and he fits perfectly in jeans and jacket.
    05-01-2015 07:51 PM
    How do you carry your Nokia Lumia 1520?
    With pride
    05-01-2015 08:54 PM
    Dan Rubino did an article about living with the Lumia 1520. I would read it.
    As for your questions,
    1. I carry it in my front jeans pocket without case, back pocket with case.
    2. If you are going to be walking and standing, carrying in the front pocket is not too terrible. But trying to sit or crouch, it can be a nuisance.
    3. That is up to you. Dan Rubino puts it aptly, "when using it, it's great. When not, it can be slight inconvenience to carry". Ultimately you should try to see one in person to try it out before buying.
    05-01-2015 08:59 PM
    In the last few weeks, I ruined the screen (phantom touches constantly) of my second 1520 carrying it in my pants, even with case. So far the third 1520 has been good with the incipio wireless charging case and in a Nite Ize XL belt holster. The first one had the screen scratched with my chapstick in the same pocket. I've had bad luck with this phone, but it's so much fun to own.
    05-01-2015 10:20 PM
37 12