SD Card (Have spent hours reading forum)

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 16gb PNY micro SD. It's Class 10 U1. 40mb/s write speeds. For 15 bucks at best buy. Best price and performance of any card. If you can live with the small storage. Their 32gb at BB is similar is balance.
Damn that's fast... but what are the actual read speeds from the phone? I wonder if their 32gb is just as fast.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Taken from the other thread. Thought it was worth mentioning here too:
I just recorded nearly 40gb worth of Armin Van Buuren's "Armin Only Intense". All footage shot at 720p/30fps for maximum zoom. There was no delay this time around... recorded straight to my Adata 64gb Class 10/UHS-1. It wrote the files pretty quickly as I was able to record video and immediately switch to taking photos. Playback was perfect. Having owned the L920 I'm very satisfied with the camera on this! Sounds even better due to the extra mic and recording to the SD card [this time around] provided no delays for a seamless experience (at open zoom, partial zoom and full zoom). I recorded between 1 minute all the way to 12 minute of footage.

SO, maybe you might not have any issues recording depending on the scenario. [I also wiped all my music prior to the event... which might have helped with the seamless recording]

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Recieved my Sandisk Extreme 16GB class 10 UHS-I

Installation- formatting no issues
Transferring apps and games to SD card no issues.
Quick transfer with up to 60 apps and games moved over in less than 10 mins maybe 5.
Was quick enough I did not have to look at time.

Recorded 1080p vid and playback. Zoom in and out moving flock of birds no lag.

Extremely happy. Windows Phone 8.1 rockin pretty good here with Sandisk Extreme

15GB free overall and I cant use it all
lol

Last edited:

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
So yea, I completely forgot that I threw an old SanDisk 'class 2' 4gb SDHC in when i first got my 1520. Haven't taken video in a while, but just took a test in 1080p 30fps. It looks perfect, no lag, nothing that indicates poor performance... Unless I am missing something. I zoomed in fully moved from dark to lit rooms with no delay. Any other tests I should try that would prove bad performance? Because if this card performs as well as it does then I have no worries about the SanDisk Ultra 'class 10' 64gb SDXC
View attachment 63514

Did you have a lot of audio going during the video or was it silent? I'd think that would affect the overall bit rate of the video; a lot of the skipping and stuttering I've seen in the forums was with the audio, not the video.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I actually have not been extremely pleased with the Write speeds on the SanDisk 'Ultra' line of cards. They are formatted to EXFAT and I am only seeing it max out at 10MB/s on my Surface Pro. I was watching the file transfer rate when I moved a video to the card.It also 'felt' like performance in the 1520, when moving apps to SD, took more time than it should. I'm not using any performance tools to measure this. Just instinct. I have also noticed in Twitter, for example, not all user avatars load right away. I'm guessing that's due to the write speed.I had the 128GB Sandisk Ultra card on order from Amazon but cancelled it. Instead I went ahead and ordered the 64GB Extreme Plus card. I should get it later today and intend on testing performance. If it doesn't 'feel' like it's performing better, then I'll send it back. At the end of the day, I'd rather have an SD card perform well over the total amount of storage.Extreme Plus cards are rated to read UP TO 80MB/s write UP TO 50MB/s. I shall see...

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I tend to agree with techkygeek82. I think I will be fine with an extra 16GB, but went ahead getting 32GB just in case. I would give a test myself after I load the card up 75-80% full and see if it stuttered taking night time video with a lot of noise. Will report back.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree with techkygeek82. I think I will be fine with an extra 16GB, but went ahead getting 32GB just in case. I would give a test myself after I load the card up 75-80% full and see if it stuttered taking night time video with a lot of noise. Will report back.
While I was recording on my Adata 64gb all was fine [minus one video that got corrupt footage]. But maybe 2 or 3 videos [out of 40 something/30gb worth] had a mini-stutter in audio.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
So having placed the SD card in to the 1520, I can certainly tell the difference. Testing the same video on the Surface Pro yielded 40 - 45MB/s transfer rates. It also just feels noticeably faster during the transferring of apps to the SD card in the 1520.

I'll test videos and photos tomorrow, but am pleased so far with the Extreme Plus card.

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I finally got the 32GB Sandisk Ultra yesterday. I played around a little bit. the result is the following:

1. VIDEO AT MAX CAPABILITy (HD/30FPS) did NOT have any problem. No sounds or video stutter. So, PROBLEM FREEEEEEE
2. I dont know what happened, but after I moved all my apps to the SD card, some of them would not open. For example, Battery Performance, 2048 games, Badaboom, Bible, Filebox, Groupon, etc.
3. I did not notice any difference in loading time after moving the apps to SD.
4. Overheating when I play games installed in SD card.

overall I am happy. for those apps that giving me error, I am going to reinstall them.

Last edited:

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up everybody.

Do NOT buy this card.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card Speed Up To 80MB/s With Adapter, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDSDQX-064G-AFFP-A: Computers & Accessories

I paid 90 buck for this POS and I've only had it 2 days. I'm already getting restarts on my phone, video stutters horribly during recording and plays back even worse. I don't know if its a defective card or what.

I'm thinking about doing a full factory reset on my phone. Not really thrilled about the idea of that, but at this point, the phone/camera is pretty much useless. I have a big event coming up on May 1st, which is the main reason I purchased this card. I wanted to have big storage for photos and videos. If this reset doesnt fix the problem, I will contact Sandisk about a replacement. Sooooo disappointed right now! :angry:

EDIT: Well, now this is weird. As soon as I got done ranting above, I went back to the phone, recorded another video and what do you know, its working fine.

Does anyone know a better brand than Sandisk?

rocwest

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Do NOT buy this card.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card Speed Up To 80MB/s With Adapter, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDSDQX-064G-AFFP-A: Computers & Accessories

I paid 90 buck for this POS and I've only had it 2 days. I'm already getting restarts on my phone, video stutters horribly during recording and plays back even worse. I don't know if its a defective card or what.

I'm thinking about doing a full factory reset on my phone. Not really thrilled about the idea of that, but at this point, the phone/camera is pretty much useless. I have a big event coming up on May 1st, which is the main reason I purchased this card. I wanted to have big storage for photos and videos. If this reset doesnt fix the problem, I will contact Sandisk about a replacement. Sooooo disappointed right now! :angry:

EDIT: Well, now this is weird. As soon as I got done ranting above, I went back to the phone, recorded another video and what do you know, its working fine.

I don't ever buy anything like this with "frustration-free packaging." That's an invitation to buying a counterfeit item.

Fiter Kurniawan

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have spent hours reading forum but I have a hard time to see if there were a post clearly stated "I bought this one and it's proven working correctly". Could anyone here help me out selecting a perfectly working SD Card for my lumia 1520? I heard some major brands stutters while taking video. About size, I know it is a personal preference. If you could help me out on:
1. Brand
2. Size
3. Class/Type
4. LINK (Will be greatly appreciated), amazon is preferred. unless there is sale going on.

This is the first time I feel the need of storage in a long time. I changed phones once every two months (max). I feel like this one is a keeper. Loves this badboy.

Thanks in advance.

I use Transcend 32GB (I think it good enough because my L1520 had 32GB internal) Extreme 300 with Up to 45Mb/s read or write... Put my Apps or game on it.. and Violaaaa... No laggy :)

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Do NOT buy this card.

Hmmm had this card for a while now. Never had a problem with it. ADATA has always gave me no problems. But been using Sandisk for the last year, with no problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven