SD Card (Have spent hours reading forum)

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have spent hours reading forum but I have a hard time to see if there were a post clearly stated "I bought this one and it's proven working correctly". Could anyone here help me out selecting a perfectly working SD Card for my lumia 1520? I heard some major brands stutters while taking video. About size, I know it is a personal preference. If you could help me out on:
1. Brand
2. Size
3. Class/Type
4. LINK (Will be greatly appreciated), amazon is preferred. unless there is sale going on.

This is the first time I feel the need of storage in a long time. I changed phones once every two months (max). I feel like this one is a keeper. Loves this badboy.

Thanks in advance.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I made the mistake of installing apps to SD card using the 1Gb microSD that came with the phone.

After hearing all the noise about types of microSD you can use I was a bit surprised that it would install to the original low spec memory chip that came with the phone. Plus the apps worked fine with no noticeable difference on loading times.

Anyway ordered a Sandisk Extreme 16GB class 10.

For 25 bucks incl shipping I just tripled my phone storage. :smile:

Last edited:

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Try amazon.class 10 SD card is ideal esp now a minimum of class 6 is needed in 8.1.Samsung is the best. I use sandisk though.
Size?more the better.i use a 16gb.
If u have 1520-32gb u will have a total of almost 40gb usable memory with 16gb card which is reasonable.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
UHS-1? Extreme Plus? Extreme? Could anyone provide a link, please?

There are many reports about shuttering DH-video recording on SanDisk Ultra 64GB cards in Lumia 1520, and this indicates a slow write speed. To be on the safe side, you should consider SanDisk 64GB microSDXC Extreme Plus 80/50 MB/Sec . At least if you are still on WP 8.0. You can read more in 64GB MicroSDXC on Lumia 1520 .

There is also reports about WP8.1 preview is solving this issue. If that gets confirmed, you may get away with slower cards too.

Abu Bakr Hussain

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
I also took a long time to decide on what to do. i didn't realise memory cards had so many issues. i was originally going to buy a cheap 64gb Kingston SD card. However after noting the numerous difficulties people have with low quality SD cards, I went back to sandisk and got the 'extreme plus' 32gb which cost more than the kingston 64gb. There is an 'extreme pro' sandisk also, however it appears to be overkill (i.e. too fast for the L1520).
However, all in all, you want an SD card which works at least as fast as your phone.
Take a look at this and ONLY ONLY buy directly from Amazon or directly from a real shop. Don't use 3rd party suppliers, there are so many fakes out there.
SanDisk | Product Compatibility Tool
(if link doesnt work, just google 'sandisk', and 'micro sd cards for phones' etc.)

my sd card:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2479686

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Zach, Could you try to record an HD video from your lumia and move the phone around see if it stuttered. also, please provide link where you bought it. Thanks.

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
oops.. didnt read two posts up. Thanks for replying. I do not want to overkill it since the price is kinda hefty (for me).. b

NawfSideWillyB

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Sandisk Extreme Plus that records flawless video, photos, and I have several games on it that run smooth. It is the 32gb version and it cost me about 30$. SanDisk Ultra 64gb just don't work perfectly with WP8 + 8.1 architecture regarding mainly video recording on the 1520 in HD.
Alot of people don't realize that you can downgrade the video recording quality if your card can't handle the top quality also.
SanDisk Extreme Plus 32gb
Class 10
80/40 speeds is what I think they claim, but don't quote me.

Edit: I have over 3gbs of music on it too and it plays through the library smooth also.
Also, beware, there are some SD card glitches out there in WP8 but usually an ejecting then reformatting will fix.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using an Adata MicroSDXC 64GB class 10/UHS-1, it was already formatted to EXFAT.
I also have a Patriot MicroSDHC class 10. I have yet to try the Patriot in my 1520... so far the 64gb Adata works fine. Have yet to try video recording.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just did a mini test and recorded a 2-3 minute long 1080p 30fp/s video. I haven't recorded video before... but I noticed that while the Adata was in there the footage on the screen would "track" my movement with a delayed response. It falls behind about 1 second. Playback is completely fine.

Just recorded in 720p 30fp/s. Smooth recording on the Adata but after zooming it once again delays by .5 second.

birgs

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
As of now I don't install apps and games to SD card just on the phone. This is the s safest way if you have free space on phone.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the app "SD Card Speed" and my Adata reads 8.91Mbs as it's actual write speed. Slightly sad considering it's supposed to be class10/UHS-1 [realistically speaking it wouldn't have ever touched UHS-1 speeds].

Tested the Patriot via the same app and got a speed of 8.63Mbs. And strangely enough the recording on 1080p 30fps on the Patriot doesn't delay as much as my Adata... but the delay is still there, it's especially noticeable after zooming.

Last edited:

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Go for SanDisk SD card they are quite reliable and long lasting.
I just order SanDisk class 10 ultra 32gb for my Lumia 520.
As I see you are using Lumia 1520 you should probably go for extreme or extreme plus as ultra might give you problem due to low read and write speed
SanDisk extreme 64gb class 10 will cost you around $65
SanDisk Extreme 64 GB microSD Extended Capacity (microSDXC):Amazon:Computers & Accessories

SanDisk extreme 64gb class 10 will cost you around $75

SanDisk Extreme Plus 64 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter 80MB/s (SDSDQX-064G-AFFP-A):Amazon:Computers & Accessories
If you are really tight on budget go for extreme one if budget doesn't matter you go for extreme plus but according to me you should go for extreme plus

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the app "SD Card Speed" and my Adata reads 8.91Mbs as it's actual write speed. Slightly sad considering it's supposed to be class10/UHS-1 [realistically speaking it wouldn't have ever touched UHS-1 speeds].

Tested the Patriot via the same app and got a speed of 8.63Mbs. And strangely enough the recording on 1080p 30fps on the Patriot doesn't delay as much as my Adata... but the delay is still there, it's especially noticeable after zooming.

Thanks for sharing the app my class 4 SanDisk SD card write speed is 5.97Mbs as soon as I get my new card I will check it.
Btw there was another app also to check write and read speed anyone know name of that app?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99