SD Card (Have spent hours reading forum)

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I have that card now, but ordered this one Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-128G-AFFP-A): Computers & Accessories I am running out of room on the 64GB card. THere is now 20GB of apps, and 30GB of music and pictures... I install a lot and never seem to delete... LoL

You sound like my girlfriend.. she likes to pile apps and other stuff and never delete anything.. hehehe..

Thanks for everybody's opinion and help. I think I'd go for the safer side (extreme plus). I kinda guesstimate that I would run out of memory if I go for the 16. 64 will never hurt (other than my pocket will have a hole in it). 32Gb is my choice. :)

Michael Adaniya

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Haha. Wish this post was created 2 days ago when I purchased the SanDisk Ultra 64gb. I also looked around for other suggestions, but got too eager to order for amazon prime shipping by today.

If it is simply a video recording issue people are facing, I will just set video to record straight to phone and use sd card for everything else.

Either way, I will post my thoughts when I install it today.

Michael Adaniya

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
So yea, I completely forgot that I threw an old SanDisk 'class 2' 4gb SDHC in when i first got my 1520. Haven't taken video in a while, but just took a test in 1080p 30fps. It looks perfect, no lag, nothing that indicates poor performance... Unless I am missing something. I zoomed in fully moved from dark to lit rooms with no delay. Any other tests I should try that would prove bad performance? Because if this card performs as well as it does then I have no worries about the SanDisk Ultra 'class 10' 64gb SDXC
WP_20140418_11_37_51_Pro.jpg

Michael Adaniya

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
No, just capacity. And the more I am looking at specs for other SanDisk and non-SanDisk cards, the more I am getting confused lol. The class of the card designates the write speed. class 2 = minimum of 2mb/s write speed, class 4 = minimum 4mb/s write speed, etc.... This leads me to believe the one I just tested should not have even been able to write fast enough for a 1080p 30fps video (wtf is going on?)

Then there is stuff like UHS-1... Uggg
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class This helped understand a slight amount more haha.

So what I'll do is test out the Ultra 'class 10' 64gb that I ordered and give you my results, because I am done trying to figure it all out LOL!

Michael Adaniya

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Got the card. Moved a majority of apps and all my games onto it. Just took some tests. Everything worked fine.

I even pulled the video files off of the cards and moved them to the computer to check their properties.

Video properties.png

All done in 1080 w/ just about 30fps
Going clockwise from top-left
1. Test on SanDisk 'class 2' SD HC 4gb
2. Older video done straight to the phones memory
3 & 4. Both done with new SanDisk 'class 10' Ultra SD XC 64gb with 30MB/s transfer rate Here it is on Amazon

As you can see I don't see any differences in their properties. And when I view each of the files on my 1080p monitor They all look beautiful and have no distinguishable differences.

So all in all I am stumped, but and am happy with the 64gig one I just got... and for $38.00 it seems like a steal

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Micheal,

Both of cards RECORDED smoothly without any stuttering? The playback and data transfer to computer have never been an issue. The problem is always the recording part, you might want to test the zooming and recording fast moving object in the dark (I know I am asking the ridiculous thing). I figured that if we can do that and it would help many others that are in the market of buying SD card.

Thanks a lot for doing this. Appreciate your time very much..

Michael Adaniya

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Haha... no problem.

So, zoomed in and fast moving objects in dark are good.. don't see any stuttering. I had both my daughters run like crazy between lit and dark rooms... nothing that looked lagged, even moving camera back and forth, up and down quickly was very responsive, no delay.

I hope this helps

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
would the size (4GB) as anything to do with write speed?

Actually, sometimes (or in most cases) a card with less storage space will actually have faster read/write speeds.
It's often why you'll see say a 128gb SSD generally having faster write speeds than a 256gb SSD.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to this thread and sd card app I learned that my Adata class 10 is just giving 3.4Mbps write speed. Time to do some complaining I guess

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to this thread and sd card app I learned that my Adata class 10 is just giving 3.4Mbps write speed. Time to do some complaining I guess

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
check to see if the card is formatted to EXFAT. If it's formatted to FAT32 then that could contribute to the slower write speeds.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
check to see if the card is formatted to EXFAT. If it's formatted to FAT32 then that could contribute to the slower write speeds.
I dont think it is true as
I just got my sandisk ultra 32gb uhs1 write speed is 14.41Mbs and its format is fat32 so i dont think format might be the issue.

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Class 6 or class 10 doesn't guarantee good performance, for app installs the phone needs good random read speeds which varies a lot amongst different cards of even class 6 and class 10, just same case as windows phone 7 micro sd card thingy. A good card which i remember is Sandisk class 4 16gb for random read speeds better than sandisk class 10.

Yes, for recording and data transfers, the write speed matters but i am talking about general App performance which are installed on microSD cards.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 16gb PNY micro SD. It's Class 10 U1. 40mb/s write speeds. For 15 bucks at best buy. Best price and performance of any card. If you can live with the small storage. Their 32gb at BB is similar is balance.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I dont think it is true as
I just got my sandisk ultra 32gb uhs1 write speed is 14.41Mbs and its format is fat32 so i dont think format might be the issue.
Well, EXFAT was apparently created for SDHC and SDXC cards with high storage space. Sometimes FAT32 format will make a 32+GB card read less than it should or even write/read slower as well. But it's good that the FAT32 works!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99