Just ordered the 1520.. tell me 1520 owners, is it a great phone or what?

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Not going to lie, I was kind of getting bored of my Lumia 928. The IPhone is the worst phone I've ever owned. Plus, I wanted a big phone or "phablet". I was deciding between the Note 3 or the gigantic Sony Xperia z ultra. Any of those Xperia Z's are gosh darn sexy looking.

Saw the 1520 on Amazon for ATT for $99 bucks. So I decided to stay with WP. Should arrive in few days. Also ordered SanDisk extreme plus 64gb. Didn't want to take any chances with regular extreme or ultra.

Tell me 1520 owners, is it a great phone or what? Did I make the right decision?

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
have a read up mate , there are loads of threads already on how good the 1520 is and what problems there are and loads of videos on youtube talking about it and showing it off :) make a nice coffee/tea put your feet up and a good old read on your new gadget ;-) hope you enjoy it and have a great weekend :)

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So far these posts aren't encouraging..lol

Here is a encouraging word(s).. IT'S A GREAT PHONE!!! Admittedly my first one crapped out within 3 hours, but this one is great. And with 8.1 installed, it has even gotten better. But.... I wish I had realize that this moving apps to sd would work so well, I would have went with a 16GB version in a different color than black. Screen is beautiful, size doesn't take long getting use to. I have had plenty of "Top of the line" androids, and so far I am liking this a lot. Only one feature I would have loved. Front speakers like the HTC One I had before this....

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I used the 1520 for a while in the Nokia store. My brother has a 1020, so I even did a quick comparison. My impressions of the phone were extremely positive.
The camera was great (though not as good as the 1020, but it was better for macros as it had a shorter minimum focal distance).
The screen was amazing. Believe me, even though it was an LCD panel, it was gorgeous. The blacks were very deep and the whites were brilliant white. Also, the sharpness of the display was really good. 1080p does show its worth.
Also, the phone was extremely thin and sturdy.
Had I had money (I am still stuck with my Lumia 800 on WP7.8), that would have been my phone to get.

I won't comment on the size, as that is a highly subjective matter.

Believe me, you have made the right choice.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I moved from a Note 2 and this is the best phone I have ever owned and used. I refused to spend my money on any apple products, Android was OK so no turning back for me.

chrisnx

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
MUHAHAHA,
today i got my money for making my contract.
This means: I ordered my phone, I'm so exited!!
Finally I'm away from Android and get WP.
Wuhuuu :love:

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I have had it since Xmas and it's now on WP 8.1 Dev Preview. Big improvement over the previous version. However still lags behind anything else.
Notifications are still not customizable enough. Huge lack of apps i need. Those tiles are boring and can't be stretched on 3 rows. You can't select the colors you want per single tile and the choice of themes is limited. The new customization functions (like adding a picture as a background) don't improve things any better for me. Actually, make things more confusing. Lack of lots of sharing functions. Lack of apps and many apps are buggy and developers often don't have a clue of how to improve them (news aggregators in particular in my case; i paid for two and they never work properly). I still have a voucher and i didn't even manage to use that because apps are simply lacking; Market search is terrible. You never find what you need. Browser still won't allow you to save to Pocket etc., like Dolphin or Firefox mobile do on Android.

What's good for me:
a) Screen is really gorgeous in any light condition. Light years better than any best Android device. Your eyes never get tired.
b) Watching videos is really good
c) Playing games (Asphalt in my case) i really enjoyable
d) Swipe keyboard is really good and fast. One of the best out there
e) Pictures again are light years better than anything on Android (I own a few including a Note II)

What is missing for me is the feeling of a totally integrated platform iOS and Android have reached (like when you click on a link a full list of options to share pops up, from simple SMS to social networks to third party messengers or chat programs); it lacks solid apps to support the OS. It's also missing a good ecosystem that makes it a business device, like dedicated Nokia apps to make it good for business. As it is now, it's just a stretched Lumia.

Nice device if you need to take pictures or play games. For work, i am going back to Note as soon as Note 4 comes on the market.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember, but I have no recollection of anyone stating WP is for everyone (Apple has done that. LoL) I would happen to believe when WP gets as old as Android or iOS, they will actually be light years ahead of them. But if android is what you need, then don't buy a WP and complain about it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that it isn't on equal par with a well established OS. I love the integration of my WP, and it is my everyday phone. I only have one complaint so far, and that is unlike my last phone (HTC One) the speakers are in the back. But I hear that HTC might be making a WP version of the M8... Maybe call it the HTC Better One... LoL

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
" . . . tell me 1520 owners, is it a great phone or what?"

Or what. Just kidding, it is a great phone and getting better with each update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss