11-06-2014 09:33 AM
75 123
tools
    HUH? My AT&T is 32GB..... I have a PMA Charger I bought off ebay for a lot cheaper than online. And it has the added feature of also being a case to protect it (So I didn't have to buy a case). The International (RM-937) is the one that doesn't have full band support, not the AT&T RM-940 (Mine gets 4G on TMO) So the only thing that is valid with your comment is.... NOTHING... Lack of Qi doesn't affect the phone, just your laziness of plugging it in. And with 8.1 a SD card is now a BIG advantage. A major jump ahead of any 32GB version without a SD card,
    The 1520 was introduced with 32GB of storage and ATT artificially lowered it to 16GB, and then provided the 32GB version for people to buy for $50 more (while limiting choice to various colors of black). The PMA charging cover and powermat cost people extra too, especially for owners of ATT 920 which many upgraded from. So they are essentially forcing people to pay more to get something that they should have to begin with. Your comment regarding RM940's band support is also false, it does not have full band support, on TMobile you can't get 3G, so you are either lucky enough to be in a LTE area (which is still lacking in terms of TMobile), or you get 2G speed. Only the RM938 will get you HSPA/HSPA+ and LTE support.
    hasasimo and xandros9 like this.
    04-20-2014 01:27 AM
    I think I will just quit while I am still alive and it's only on page 3. I had the 920 with it's FREE charging pad, yes they was FREE for the first adopters, so I guess no investment there, huh? Oh, and it cost only $49 on Black Friday, and YES Nokia authorized AT&T to give its 920 customers the $50 price difference even though BF was on the 15th day of first release. So I don't see the argument about "Buying" a Qi charger when it was free. Oh, and that would really make the 1520 really GIMPED, the case for the 920 won't fit either!!! Look at all the money people invested in a case for their phone. Opps... guess that was Nokia's fault for not making the 1520 the same dimensions as the 920. So that BLOWS the "GIMPED" part out about accessories out the window. But as far as TMO, it's a good thing I live in the Chicago area, seems like everyone has LTE... So I wouldn't notice the absence of a 3G band, but DARN!!! I guess it is GIMPED because AT&T didn't ask to have the TMO only band stuck in there. (I wonder how many TMO phones don't have a AT&T band?) The 938 was created to make both worlds happy. But for some reason I don't really have an interest in paying for a phone right now that will get me something I don't really need. And with a 128GB card and WP8.1 you can use a 16GB phone with no problems.... Heck, I would bet I could load up my 8GB 520 with 99% of the 20GB of apps and 30GB of music/pictures with no problems. Only if it wasn't just a little too small in size compared to the 1520...
    snowmutt and Nogitsune Micah like this.
    04-20-2014 06:26 AM
    Well I'm not suggesting you'd miss your 920 after using the 1520, just wireless charging. Could you do without it, and would it still be worth using a 1520 over a 920? Sure, I can see that. But why do without it if you don't have to? Perhaps you're an exception in that regard and wireless charging wasn't for you for some reason, but I've read quite a few posts from people here that are refusing to get the AT&T version because they've gotten used to the convenience and versatility of built-in Qi.
    Believe me, I understand the frustration being voiced and I don't mean to minimize the pain of a beloved feature, but the fact that anyone would stop themselves from enjoying the benefits of a top of the line phone because of what is very much a niche feature just boggles me. I really enjoyed my wireless charger as it sat on my desk and I could just set me phone down if needed. But the battery life on my 1520 is amazing and I have yet to have a need to charge it during the middle of the day like I did my 920 which has rendered my wireless charger moot. I don't have an issue with plugging it in a night so it's not a thing for me. I get it, you have it and you want it, but the 1520 simply blows the 920 out of the water, and I was a huge fan of my 920, so this was worth giving up for the clear benefits of the 1520. I just hope people reconsider the benefits that outweigh the wireless charging significantly, but that's just my opinion.
    snowmutt and oditius like this.
    04-20-2014 09:22 AM
    I don't get the issues with att lte.

I have no issues with att lte. From the big cities in California and new York to my college in new haven and even the Podunk rural area my family lives in in north Carolina, I don't have any issues with att lte.
    I believe he's just referring to the fact that the phone is locked to AT&T's LTE... no freedom to switch or save some coin.
    04-20-2014 12:03 PM
    Believe me, I understand the frustration being voiced and I don't mean to minimize the pain of a beloved feature, but the fact that anyone would stop themselves from enjoying the benefits of a top of the line phone because of what is very much a niche feature just boggles me. I really enjoyed my wireless charger as it sat on my desk and I could just set me phone down if needed. But the battery life on my 1520 is amazing and I have yet to have a need to charge it during the middle of the day like I did my 920 which has rendered my wireless charger moot. I don't have an issue with plugging it in a night so it's not a thing for me. I get it, you have it and you want it, but the 1520 simply blows the 920 out of the water, and I was a huge fan of my 920, so this was worth giving up for the clear benefits of the 1520. I just hope people reconsider the benefits that outweigh the wireless charging significantly, but that's just my opinion.
    Civilly and intelligently put, I agree with you. If the choice boils down to the AT&T variant vs. no 1520 at all, I think people would be doing themselves a disservice by depriving themselves of such a great device because of a couple of features that, while awesome, aren't necessary per say. Where the RM-938 variant wins for various reasons in my opinion is if its actually an option for you... i.e. you're not locked in a contract and perhaps can recoup the money you spent for it by saving money on your plan every month.
    Last edited by hasasimo; 04-20-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    oditius and TripsG like this.
    04-20-2014 01:07 PM
    At first I thought I'd miss the wireless charging when I upgraded from the 920 to the 1520. However, the battery is so amazing it's not even needed. From a full charge, with heavy use, I get upwards of 30 hours of battery per charge. I just plug it in at night and that's it. It doesn't need to be plugged in AT ALL during the day.
    oditius likes this.
    04-21-2014 05:43 AM
    Lol...werent you singing praises over the SE vs icon and what features the icon lacked? I just found it funny you were posting false info while days ago, you were praising Samsung phone for having the same features that the 1520 "lacks".

Also doesn't the Samsung ativ se have 16 GB plus SD capabilities JUST LIKE THE 1520? And weren't you singing praises about how awesome that phone is. Now this is amusing lol
    And windows phone 8.1 also brings data sense, which I am surprised to see you didn't realize.

And the SE which you were singing praises about, lacks wireless charging compared to the 1520(qi or pma).

And another thing, idk why people always try to make a specific carrier look bad. Aside from tmobile, I am pretty sure Verizon and sprint LOVE the fact when someone goes over their allotted data so they canger charged extra but I seriously doubt att sits around going. "hmm, lets see how we can screw our customers today". They are no different than the others.
    Please tell me what false info I was posting? Also I have no loyalty to a carrier, manufacturer, or OS unlike yourself. I like Windows Phones. Huawei, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, LG. I like them all.

Plus I'm sure AT&T will block Data Sense when the OTA drops.
    04-21-2014 10:50 PM
    I would make the switch regardless of whether it has the type of wireless charging you prefer.

The 1520 is that good of a phone to say this.

If a person can't remember to plug their phone in,just means it isn't important enough to remember. Invest in a new plug and cord,put it on the night stand and at work..case solved...then sell your wireless plates.
    What difference does it make if your plugging it in or laying it down,both are still plugged into the wall,correct..? Or am I mistaken

The phone is what makes this all fun,not recharging it IMHO

Mac

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
    oditius and Will6371 like this.
    04-22-2014 12:00 AM
    I would make the switch regardless of whether it has the type of wireless charging you prefer.

The 1520 is that good of a phone to say this.

If a person can't remember to plug their phone in,just means it isn't important enough to remember. Invest in a new plug and cord,put it on the night stand and at work..case solved...then sell your wireless plates.
    What difference does it make if your plugging it in or laying it down,both are still plugged into the wall,correct..? Or am I mistaken

The phone is what makes this all fun,not recharging it IMHO

Mac

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
    Posts like this never really help a discussion.
    What does it matter whether I plug it in our lady of down on a charger? Hmmm let me go get it again for the 100th time...... Yup I like the convenience of laying it down better than plugging it in. This is the year 2014 isn't it? Have to come to expect certain conveniences will be available. I've come a long way from my old StarTAC.

And you're point of not being able to remember to plug in my phone. That's not an issue at all. When I remember to charge my phone, I remember at the same time to just lay it down on my charger. So simple. When i don't have my charger handy I just plug it into a friend's USB charger when on the go, OR use one of the five corded chargers I have everywhere in the house. Feels a bit primitive that way though.
    hasasimo likes this.
    04-22-2014 08:37 PM
    If ATT unlocks 1520 32 gb they are selling will it work with tmobile lte ??
    04-22-2014 08:45 PM
    If ATT unlocks 1520 32 gb they are selling will it work with tmobile lte ??
    It should, it does lack hspa+ and hspa bands for tmobile. If your area hasn't been "refarmed" then if you don't have LTE then u will have edge.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    04-24-2014 01:50 PM
    1520.3 would be cool if not for the 630$ price tag. I paid 99$ for my 920 the day it launched no way I'd pay 630$ for a phone
    You may not realize it, but the $99 you paid for the 920 is a myth. You are, or will, actually pay a lot more, after considering the total cost for your 2 year service contract commitment.

As of this writing, when you pay up front for a $630 phone, you can use it with AT&T postpaid plans which include $15 or $25 per month discount. This makes sense, since there's no built in phone subsidy from AT&T and no contract commitment for service.
    AT&T also offers a phone financing plan (called AT&T next), but you'd have to purchase one of their phone offerings for that. You'll still get the no contract discount for monthly service with that arrangement, though you'll add in the financing for the phone to the total monthly charges.

I hope this helps.
    05-29-2014 10:28 PM
    Here is a kicker, they just started that $25 discounted BYOP Family Share plan. I signed up for it as soon as I found out several months ago. I am still under contract (till November) Before I got 3GB Data, No tethering, 550 minutes and unlimited text for $129 a month. (Only one smartphone) Now I get 10GB data, tethering, Unlimited minutes and text for $139 a month. I had a problem staying less than 3GB, always seem to go over, so I always paid the $10 more for 1GB, sometimes $20... From what I read, as long as I don't sign another contract fora discounted phone, I should be on this plan for a long time....
    05-30-2014 04:49 AM
    Gimped is quite true. When we buy a Lumia 920, and we are given a wireless charger and we use it we advance to new technology. Especially after purchasing 5 more chargers to place around the house. And I don't want to replace those chargers because other devices of mine use Qi as well. AT&T tucked the phone up plain and simple. They could have said keep Qi in there but give the ability for users to add a PMA case if they want, but they didn't. They neutered the phone then supplied a half baked alternative (seriously, an add in shell, rather than built in..so lame).

Jason

I really hate that term. Only difference is no Qi charging. I mean gee wiz, what was you doing before the 920? I don't remember my HTC Pro 2 having Qi charging, or even the many androids I used to own. I do have wireless charging on my phone, I use the PMA case. Here is the PMA case for $39.95

Incipio Nokia Lumia 1520 Ghost Wireless Charging Black Case New | eBay

And here is a powermat that will work for $5

Powermat Wireless Charging Kits for iPhone 3G 3GS Receiver Case Charging Mat | eBay

Works in my case, would have wished there was Qi charging, but the AT&T version works the same as the International version, only difference is how you charge it. And can consider the Internation version more gimped here in the US because no LTE!!!
    05-30-2014 04:57 PM
    PMA = HD-DVD
    QI = Bluray
    05-30-2014 05:30 PM
    I still have my qi charger but never found time to use it.......1520 has twice battery life! I got to bed and its still half full so I just plug it in now
    05-30-2014 05:47 PM
    Gimped is quite true. When we buy a Lumia 920, and we are given a wireless charger and we use it we advance to new technology. Especially after purchasing 5 more chargers to place around the house. And I don't want to replace those chargers because other devices of mine use Qi as well. AT&T tucked the phone up plain and simple. They could have said keep Qi in there but give the ability for users to add a PMA case if they want, but they didn't. They neutered the phone then supplied a half baked alternative (seriously, an add in shell, rather than built in..so lame).

Jason
    Tell me PLEASE where it is gimped? No one has pointed that out. Really? No QI? Makes it gimped? Maybe I consider the 937 & 938 is Gimped, I mean they don't have PMA charging. Even though it hasn't been invented, but it is possible to create a create a case that not only has wireless charging, but also has a built in spare battery. Can't do that with Qi.. Only kind of of battery case you can get for a Qi phone would block the USB port.
    05-30-2014 07:25 PM
    Yes No Qi is right where it is. You take a nice international edition phone that has Qi built in, no need for cases or anything like that, and it just works. Then you specifically remove wireless charging from inside the phone, and as the crappy consolation prize you give people the option of buying an external case that is IMCOMPATIBLE with all wireless charging items that the same company has built and sold previously (and continues to sell).

It would be a little more forgivable if they offered both Qi internal and a PMA case externally, giving people a choice. Then the same SKU could be used across the world. While they are at it, every phone should have all of the available bands, not a special version for AT&T, a special version for Europe, a special version for China, and a special Unicorn version for Antarctica.

And while you bring up old phones, I completely felt many HTC models sold in the US were Gimped as well. Look at the original Touch Pro and the Touch Pro 2. The models sold in Europe contained a Front Facing Camera, but in the U.S. they were removed (plus Verizon had HTC reduce the amount of memory in half for the touch pro 1 model, what a shame).

I refuse to purchase an iPhone but that is one area that Apple actually gets right. Their phone uses the same bands in all of their models. They don't kowtow to carriers's wills. Now unfortunately if you want the privilege of using their phones the end users must bend to Apple's wishes, but they at least are doing some things right compared to others out there. Does the AT&T model get an update but the T-Mobile model does not? No. But look at the Lumia 810 and the Lumia 820, practically the same phone but still no Black update for the T-Mobile model.

/rant.
    mister2d and jwinch2 like this.
    05-30-2014 10:59 PM
    Yes No Qi is right where it is. You take a nice international edition phone that has Qi built in, no need for cases or anything like that, and it just works. Then you specifically remove wireless charging from inside the phone, and as the crappy consolation prize you give people the option of buying an external case that is IMCOMPATIBLE with all wireless charging items that the same company has built and sold previously (and continues to sell).

It would be a little more forgivable if they offered both Qi internal and a PMA case externally, giving people a choice. Then the same SKU could be used across the world. While they are at it, every phone should have all of the available bands, not a special version for AT&T, a special version for Europe, a special version for China, and a special Unicorn version for Antarctica.

And while you bring up old phones, I completely felt many HTC models sold in the US were Gimped as well. Look at the original Touch Pro and the Touch Pro 2. The models sold in Europe contained a Front Facing Camera, but in the U.S. they were removed (plus Verizon had HTC reduce the amount of memory in half for the touch pro 1 model, what a shame).

I refuse to purchase an iPhone but that is one area that Apple actually gets right. Their phone uses the same bands in all of their models. They don't kowtow to carriers's wills. Now unfortunately if you want the privilege of using their phones the end users must bend to Apple's wishes, but they at least are doing some things right compared to others out there. Does the AT&T model get an update but the T-Mobile model does not? No. But look at the Lumia 810 and the Lumia 820, practically the same phone but still no Black update for the T-Mobile model.

/rant.
    ​Exactly right.
    11-05-2014 06:00 PM
    ​Exactly right.
    Not exactly. The iPhone is just one phone that Apple sells. It behooves them to include all the bands. Other manufacturers, like Nokia for instance, caters to a broader demographic. So, the need to have all bands on all phones is a waste. Fortunately though, if you want just one phone from Nokia that has all the bands, they do have one and it costs less than any new iPhone.
    11-05-2014 06:37 PM
    Not exactly. The iPhone is just one phone that Apple sells. It behooves them to include all the bands. Other manufacturers, like Nokia for instance, caters to a broader demographic. So, the need to have all bands on all phones is a waste. Fortunately though, if you want just one phone from Nokia that has all the bands, they do have one and it costs less than any new iPhone.
    So, catering to a larger demographic means they make phones with less bands that are able to only be used on specific networks? Not sure that makes sense. I'm also not sure that making multiple different versions of the same phone, which necessitates alterations in the manufacturing process equals less of a waste, but OK. Regardless of those two points, the fact that the same phone is released internationally with specific features and then those same features are removed from phones being released in the US is ridiculous. There is no good reason that we should have to settle for phones with less in the way of features or capability than others do.
    11-06-2014 08:47 AM
    You don't have to settle. You can buy an iPhone or any other phone that suits your needs.

And the waste I mention had nothing to do with manufacturing costs, but licensing fees and such. For example, why incorporate full LTE bands that work in the entire world when your demographic is a third world country without such infrastructure that would add to cost.

Apple is a 'be all things to all people' at significant cost.
    11-06-2014 08:59 AM
    You present a fairly good argument, if we were talking about lower end phones in third world countries. However, if we are talking about phones that are supposed to be flagships, such as the 1520, or even lower end phones that are being released in the US, then the argument does not work.
    11-06-2014 09:06 AM
    I was referring to the 1520 as well. You can buy one with all the bands you need (1520.3), however it isn't the only phone sold by the manufacturer unlike the iPhone which was my point.
    11-06-2014 09:23 AM
    I understand your point, I simply disagree with it.
    11-06-2014 09:33 AM
75 123