How gimped is the ATT 1520 VS the 920

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The lack of wireless charging I think is important because those who got wireless charging pad now have an extra accessory they can't use without buying another accessory which I find lame for something that's suppose to be an upgrade.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Got the RM 938 for the main reason was because qi charging, and the fact that it is a power house. I just feel like without wireless charging its a down grade. My opinion. Just love the phone your with.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Semantics... people offended by the use of the word "gimped" to describe the AT&T variant, what word would you use? It lacks a feature most high-end Lumias have (including other 1520s) and has half the built-in storage. It's still a terrific device but it can't be denied that it's been stripped of quite a bit vs every other variant.

Last edited:

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
The ATT version is crippled to 16GB storage, lack of Qi, and lack of full band support. This is done mostly to sell more accessories, such as microSD card, PMA charging cover and powermat, and discourage it be unlocked and used on TMobile.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a great phone, I'm sure you definitely are enjoying it. In fairness though I think it being a stripped down version and caring whether or not it's a stripped down version are two different things. I don't know if you fall into this category but it would seem the majority of those that care are those that have gotten used to it. As with any great feature, it's hard to do without it once you've gotten used to it.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In terms of the RM-938 it is.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Do you mean that the 938 is faster? Better camera? More memory? Different OS? Funny how not having a Qi makes it gimped... It can perform just like the 938, now in the 937 in the US might be considered "Gimped" because of its lack of LTE. But there is nothing different between the 938 and the 32GB 940... Only the Qi charging which doesn't effect the phone at all, I have a PMA charging case, so not only is my phone protected, it also has wireless charging.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The ATT version is crippled to 16GB storage, lack of Qi, and lack of full band support. This is done mostly to sell more accessories, such as microSD card, PMA charging cover and powermat, and discourage it be unlocked and used on TMobile.

HUH? My AT&T is 32GB..... I have a PMA Charger I bought off ebay for a lot cheaper than online. And it has the added feature of also being a case to protect it (So I didn't have to buy a case). The International (RM-937) is the one that doesn't have full band support, not the AT&T RM-940 (Mine gets 4G on TMO) So the only thing that is valid with your comment is.... NOTHING... Lack of Qi doesn't affect the phone, just your laziness of plugging it in. And with 8.1 a SD card is now a BIG advantage. A major jump ahead of any 32GB version without a SD card,

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
For people who have already invested in QI charging plates it is gimped. The issue isn't for people who haven't used QI charging before it is for the people who have. There needs to be a wireless charging standard, this is like beta-max/vhs, wordperfect/msword, hd-dvd/blueray... Now it is PMA/QI. When PMA goes away, I am pretty sure people will.be upset due to the high cost the equipment. Most people got the 16gig 1520 because the 32gig wasn't available. The RM-938/1520.3 is the better device. I can put any case on it and it has wireless charging. For people who haven't invested in QI charging the phone isn't gimped. The argument about being lazy and not plugging it is a far reach.. I personally like setting my phone on the QI charger and picking it up when I get a call. Plus my QI charger charges my 920 faster than the cord.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
HUH? My AT&T is 32GB..... I have a PMA Charger I bought off ebay for a lot cheaper than online. And it has the added feature of also being a case to protect it (So I didn't have to buy a case). ... So the only thing that is valid with your comment is.... NOTHING.
I'm guessing that you know that your response is disingenuous, but that you want to defend your decision against attack. You don't need to defend your decision, because you got the device that you wanted. Ignore everyone else.

However, let's say that hmmwv had a white 920 and one or two QI charging plates. For him, getting a 1520 from AT&T means getting a faster process, bigger screen, and bigger battery. It also means losing half the built-in memory and wireless charging (since his investment is in Qi plates). He can gain back the memory by switching to black. He can gain back the wireless charging, but only by buying new plates and a case that makes the 1520 thicker than the 920.

I agree that "crippled" and "gimped" are harsh terms, but AT&T did snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's now mid-April and PMA isn't yet gaining much traction at AT&T. The 1520 came out in December. If AT&T had originally sold the RM-938, they'd have had greater success and happier customers for almost six months of the 12- to 18-month life of this product. They could have said to Nokia, "we'll resell the 938 for six months, but then we want to relaunch the 1520 with PMA and Windows Phone 8.1." Nokia would have jumped at it. And AT&T's PMA environment would be more developed to embrace the 1520.

AT&T messed up. Even with that, the 1520 is so great than many, many users are very happy with it. In some ways, it's sad that AT&T may never know how good they could have had it.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing that you know that your response is disingenuous, but that you want to defend your decision against attack. You don't need to defend your decision, because you got the device that you wanted. Ignore everyone else.

However, let's say that hmmwv had a white 920 and one or two QI charging plates. For him, getting a 1520 from AT&T means getting a faster process, bigger screen, and bigger battery. It also means losing half the built-in memory and wireless charging (since his investment is in Qi plates). He can gain back the memory by switching to black. He can gain back the wireless charging, but only by buying new plates and a case that makes the 1520 thicker than the 920.

I agree that "crippled" and "gimped" are harsh terms, but AT&T did snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's now mid-April and PMA isn't yet gaining much traction at AT&T. The 1520 came out in December. If AT&T had originally sold the RM-938, they'd have had greater success and happier customers for almost six months of the 12- to 18-month life of this product. They could have said to Nokia, "we'll resell the 938 for six months, but then we want to relaunch the 1520 with PMA and Windows Phone 8.1." Nokia would have jumped at it. And AT&T's PMA environment would be more developed to embrace the 1520.

AT&T messed up. Even with that, the 1520 is so great than many, many users are very happy with it. In some ways, it's sad that AT&T may never know how good they could have had it.
that is the proper prospective. Why do phones on ATT have less features than a phone from south America (Brazil I believe)?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh well, I got my phone free because of a great manager at a AT&T store. No money, no monthly payments, and no ding on my upgrade. So I guess I can afford the PMA case. I just don't like the term "gimped" being used on my (Or any other RM-940) phone because mine can do everything the 938 can do, even charge wirelessly. I would have put a case on it anyway, so I really didn't lose anything. There can be one advantage to PMA if companies that make those extended batteries that attach to the pone (Mugen <sp>) would get on board. Not only can they put the PMA charge in it, but they probably could put a extra battery in it. (Then who would have a gimped phone with mine lasting a week on one charge?) I had one for my HTC One, but it make it almost a inch longer. I rather have thicker than longer. Oh, and I had the 920 when it first came out, but back then there was apps I needed WP didn't have. (And for the record, I paid $50 for it and got 2 chargers because of a mess up, and the nice person in India decided to give me $75 in credit because of the mistakes the sales clerk made. So I guess I got paid to take that phone. LoL)

jive_inc

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I just upgraded a few weeks ago from the 920 to the 1520 and while there were (at first) some disappointment at not having wireless charging it changed for me. Do not get me wrong, wireless charging is awesome but so is the 1520 in a lot of areas. Yes, the size is as everyone says, BIG but that just means more tiles and less scrolling. These sorts of decisions are certainly personal, I am just adding my 2 cents. I only charge my phone once every two days or so, for me that is enough to not miss the wireless charging.
Good luck with your decision.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
...I just don't like the term "gimped" being used on my (Or any other RM-940) phone because mine can do everything the 938 can do, even charge wirelessly.

Well I'm certain the AT&T version does not work on another carrier's LTE (only slower speeds)--while the 938 does. Isn't this one of the major draws of the RM-938? Freedom AND LTE? I like 'and' better. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077