How gimped is the ATT 1520 VS the 920

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Half the storage
No Qi charging
And NO DATA SENSE, which is important for some because AT&T likes to dig in peoples pockets for going over data.

Lol...werent you singing praises over the SE vs icon and what features the icon lacked? I just found it funny you were posting false info while days ago, you were praising Samsung phone for having the same features that the 1520 "lacks".

Also doesn't the Samsung ativ se have 16 GB plus SD capabilities JUST LIKE THE 1520? And weren't you singing praises about how awesome that phone is. Now this is amusing lol
And windows phone 8.1 also brings data sense, which I am surprised to see you didn't realize.

And the SE which you were singing praises about, lacks wireless charging compared to the 1520(qi or pma).

And another thing, idk why people always try to make a specific carrier look bad. Aside from tmobile, I am pretty sure Verizon and sprint LOVE the fact when someone goes over their allotted data so they canger charged extra but I seriously doubt att sits around going. "hmm, lets see how we can screw our customers today". They are no different than the others.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
And being stuck on AT&Ts LTE.

I don't get the issues with att lte.

I have no issues with att lte. From the big cities in California and new York to my college in new haven and even the Podunk rural area my family lives in in north Carolina, I don't have any issues with att lte.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off, let us all breathe in for a minute. A few tempers seem to be flaring. Okay, breathe out....

"Gimped" seems to be almost an argument starter, so let's set that aside for a minute. There are 2 absolutes here:

1) Those who invested money in Qi charging for their L920's are 100% correct in their feelings here. Unless you have this feature, you do not know what you could have had. No reason why L920 users shouldn't be a little annoyed at AT&T for that decision. Surely, the L920 users felt their investments were solid and would pay off in future devices as well.

2) The AT&T version of the L1520 may have a little less to offer then it's international cousin. So, that means it just whups 80% of the other cell phones out there, instead of the 95% it could have.

AT&T has bet on a different wireless standard. My bet is their bet is wrong. But, I am not on a roll lately for predictions. So, lets sum up this thread:

-L1520 at it's worst is freaking awesome.

-AT&T is not always the smoothest rolling bowling ball in the alley, but it is large enough to knock more pins down then it misses and it has been an outstanding WP supporter, so maybe some forgiveness from all non-L920 owners is earned.

-L920 owners have to flip a coin as to when the goodies they bought for charging their still-awesome L920 is outweighed by all the other top shelf hardware offered in upcoming models. Unless AT&T changes it's mind on Qi charging, of ccourse. In this case, L920 owners will look like wise Sages and will be happily upgrading.

About sum it up?

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I have no issues with att lte. From the big cities in California and new York to my college in new haven and even the Podunk rural area my family lives in in north Carolina, I don't have any issues with att lte.

Oh, I wasn't implying that AT&T users were having issues. I am just pointing out that if for some reason you want another carrier, say Tmo, then you won't get LTE speeds again.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
HUH? My AT&T is 32GB..... I have a PMA Charger I bought off ebay for a lot cheaper than online. And it has the added feature of also being a case to protect it (So I didn't have to buy a case). The International (RM-937) is the one that doesn't have full band support, not the AT&T RM-940 (Mine gets 4G on TMO) So the only thing that is valid with your comment is.... NOTHING... Lack of Qi doesn't affect the phone, just your laziness of plugging it in. And with 8.1 a SD card is now a BIG advantage. A major jump ahead of any 32GB version without a SD card,

The 1520 was introduced with 32GB of storage and ATT artificially lowered it to 16GB, and then provided the 32GB version for people to buy for $50 more (while limiting choice to various colors of black). The PMA charging cover and powermat cost people extra too, especially for owners of ATT 920 which many upgraded from. So they are essentially forcing people to pay more to get something that they should have to begin with. Your comment regarding RM940's band support is also false, it does not have full band support, on TMobile you can't get 3G, so you are either lucky enough to be in a LTE area (which is still lacking in terms of TMobile), or you get 2G speed. Only the RM938 will get you HSPA/HSPA+ and LTE support.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I will just quit while I am still alive and it's only on page 3. I had the 920 with it's FREE charging pad, yes they was FREE for the first adopters, so I guess no investment there, huh? Oh, and it cost only $49 on Black Friday, and YES Nokia authorized AT&T to give its 920 customers the $50 price difference even though BF was on the 15th day of first release. So I don't see the argument about "Buying" a Qi charger when it was free. Oh, and that would really make the 1520 really GIMPED, the case for the 920 won't fit either!!! Look at all the money people invested in a case for their phone. Opps... guess that was Nokia's fault for not making the 1520 the same dimensions as the 920. So that BLOWS the "GIMPED" part out about accessories out the window. But as far as TMO, it's a good thing I live in the Chicago area, seems like everyone has LTE... So I wouldn't notice the absence of a 3G band, but DARN!!! I guess it is GIMPED because AT&T didn't ask to have the TMO only band stuck in there. (I wonder how many TMO phones don't have a AT&T band?) The 938 was created to make both worlds happy. But for some reason I don't really have an interest in paying for a phone right now that will get me something I don't really need. And with a 128GB card and WP8.1 you can use a 16GB phone with no problems.... Heck, I would bet I could load up my 8GB 520 with 99% of the 20GB of apps and 30GB of music/pictures with no problems. Only if it wasn't just a little too small in size compared to the 1520...

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not suggesting you'd miss your 920 after using the 1520, just wireless charging. Could you do without it, and would it still be worth using a 1520 over a 920? Sure, I can see that. But why do without it if you don't have to? Perhaps you're an exception in that regard and wireless charging wasn't for you for some reason, but I've read quite a few posts from people here that are refusing to get the AT&T version because they've gotten used to the convenience and versatility of built-in Qi.

Believe me, I understand the frustration being voiced and I don't mean to minimize the pain of a beloved feature, but the fact that anyone would stop themselves from enjoying the benefits of a top of the line phone because of what is very much a niche feature just boggles me. I really enjoyed my wireless charger as it sat on my desk and I could just set me phone down if needed. But the battery life on my 1520 is amazing and I have yet to have a need to charge it during the middle of the day like I did my 920 which has rendered my wireless charger moot. I don't have an issue with plugging it in a night so it's not a thing for me. I get it, you have it and you want it, but the 1520 simply blows the 920 out of the water, and I was a huge fan of my 920, so this was worth giving up for the clear benefits of the 1520. I just hope people reconsider the benefits that outweigh the wireless charging significantly, but that's just my opinion.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I believe he's just referring to the fact that the phone is locked to AT&T's LTE... no freedom to switch or save some coin.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Believe me, I understand the frustration being voiced and I don't mean to minimize the pain of a beloved feature, but the fact that anyone would stop themselves from enjoying the benefits of a top of the line phone because of what is very much a niche feature just boggles me. I really enjoyed my wireless charger as it sat on my desk and I could just set me phone down if needed. But the battery life on my 1520 is amazing and I have yet to have a need to charge it during the middle of the day like I did my 920 which has rendered my wireless charger moot. I don't have an issue with plugging it in a night so it's not a thing for me. I get it, you have it and you want it, but the 1520 simply blows the 920 out of the water, and I was a huge fan of my 920, so this was worth giving up for the clear benefits of the 1520. I just hope people reconsider the benefits that outweigh the wireless charging significantly, but that's just my opinion.

Civilly and intelligently put, I agree with you. If the choice boils down to the AT&T variant vs. no 1520 at all, I think people would be doing themselves a disservice by depriving themselves of such a great device because of a couple of features that, while awesome, aren't necessary per say. Where the RM-938 variant wins for various reasons in my opinion is if its actually an option for you... i.e. you're not locked in a contract and perhaps can recoup the money you spent for it by saving money on your plan every month.

Last edited:

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
At first I thought I'd miss the wireless charging when I upgraded from the 920 to the 1520. However, the battery is so amazing it's not even needed. From a full charge, with heavy use, I get upwards of 30 hours of battery per charge. I just plug it in at night and that's it. It doesn't need to be plugged in AT ALL during the day.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Lol...werent you singing praises over the SE vs icon and what features the icon lacked? I just found it funny you were posting false info while days ago, you were praising Samsung phone for having the same features that the 1520 "lacks".

Also doesn't the Samsung ativ se have 16 GB plus SD capabilities JUST LIKE THE 1520? And weren't you singing praises about how awesome that phone is. Now this is amusing lol
And windows phone 8.1 also brings data sense, which I am surprised to see you didn't realize.

And the SE which you were singing praises about, lacks wireless charging compared to the 1520(qi or pma).

And another thing, idk why people always try to make a specific carrier look bad. Aside from tmobile, I am pretty sure Verizon and sprint LOVE the fact when someone goes over their allotted data so they canger charged extra but I seriously doubt att sits around going. "hmm, lets see how we can screw our customers today". They are no different than the others.

Please tell me what false info I was posting? Also I have no loyalty to a carrier, manufacturer, or OS unlike yourself. I like Windows Phones. Huawei, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, LG. I like them all.

Plus I'm sure AT&T will block Data Sense when the OTA drops.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I would make the switch regardless of whether it has the type of wireless charging you prefer.

The 1520 is that good of a phone to say this.

If a person can't remember to plug their phone in,just means it isn't important enough to remember. Invest in a new plug and cord,put it on the night stand and at work..case solved...then sell your wireless plates.
What difference does it make if your plugging it in or laying it down,both are still plugged into the wall,correct..? Or am I mistaken

The phone is what makes this all fun,not recharging it IMHO

Mac

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I would make the switch regardless of whether it has the type of wireless charging you prefer.

The 1520 is that good of a phone to say this.

If a person can't remember to plug their phone in,just means it isn't important enough to remember. Invest in a new plug and cord,put it on the night stand and at work..case solved...then sell your wireless plates.
What difference does it make if your plugging it in or laying it down,both are still plugged into the wall,correct..? Or am I mistaken

The phone is what makes this all fun,not recharging it IMHO

Mac

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
Posts like this never really help a discussion.
What does it matter whether I plug it in our lady of down on a charger? Hmmm let me go get it again for the 100th time...... Yup I like the convenience of laying it down better than plugging it in. This is the year 2014 isn't it? Have to come to expect certain conveniences will be available. I've come a long way from my old StarTAC.

And you're point of not being able to remember to plug in my phone. That's not an issue at all. When I remember to charge my phone, I remember at the same time to just lay it down on my charger. So simple. When i don't have my charger handy I just plug it into a friend's USB charger when on the go, OR use one of the five corded chargers I have everywhere in the house. Feels a bit primitive that way though.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If ATT unlocks 1520 32 gb they are selling will it work with tmobile lte ??

It should, it does lack hspa+ and hspa bands for tmobile. If your area hasn't been "refarmed" then if you don't have LTE then u will have edge.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

kki75

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
1520.3 would be cool if not for the 630$ price tag. I paid 99$ for my 920 the day it launched no way I'd pay 630$ for a phone

You may not realize it, but the $99 you paid for the 920 is a myth. You are, or will, actually pay a lot more, after considering the total cost for your 2 year service contract commitment.

As of this writing, when you pay up front for a $630 phone, you can use it with AT&T postpaid plans which include $15 or $25 per month discount. This makes sense, since there's no built in phone subsidy from AT&T and no contract commitment for service.
AT&T also offers a phone financing plan (called AT&T next), but you'd have to purchase one of their phone offerings for that. You'll still get the no contract discount for monthly service with that arrangement, though you'll add in the financing for the phone to the total monthly charges.

I hope this helps.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here is a kicker, they just started that $25 discounted BYOP Family Share plan. I signed up for it as soon as I found out several months ago. I am still under contract (till November) Before I got 3GB Data, No tethering, 550 minutes and unlimited text for $129 a month. (Only one smartphone) Now I get 10GB data, tethering, Unlimited minutes and text for $139 a month. I had a problem staying less than 3GB, always seem to go over, so I always paid the $10 more for 1GB, sometimes $20... From what I read, as long as I don't sign another contract fora discounted phone, I should be on this plan for a long time....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers