How gimped is the ATT 1520 VS the 920

myrandex

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Gimped is quite true. When we buy a Lumia 920, and we are given a wireless charger and we use it we advance to new technology. Especially after purchasing 5 more chargers to place around the house. And I don't want to replace those chargers because other devices of mine use Qi as well. AT&T tucked the phone up plain and simple. They could have said keep Qi in there but give the ability for users to add a PMA case if they want, but they didn't. They neutered the phone then supplied a half baked alternative (seriously, an add in shell, rather than built in..so lame).

Jason

I really hate that term. Only difference is no Qi charging. I mean gee wiz, what was you doing before the 920? I don't remember my HTC Pro 2 having Qi charging, or even the many androids I used to own. I do have wireless charging on my phone, I use the PMA case. Here is the PMA case for $39.95

Incipio Nokia Lumia 1520 Ghost Wireless Charging Black Case New | eBay

And here is a powermat that will work for $5

Powermat Wireless Charging Kits for iPhone 3G 3GS Receiver Case Charging Mat | eBay

Works in my case, would have wished there was Qi charging, but the AT&T version works the same as the International version, only difference is how you charge it. And can consider the Internation version more gimped here in the US because no LTE!!!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I still have my qi charger but never found time to use it.......1520 has twice battery life! I got to bed and its still half full so I just plug it in now

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Gimped is quite true. When we buy a Lumia 920, and we are given a wireless charger and we use it we advance to new technology. Especially after purchasing 5 more chargers to place around the house. And I don't want to replace those chargers because other devices of mine use Qi as well. AT&T tucked the phone up plain and simple. They could have said keep Qi in there but give the ability for users to add a PMA case if they want, but they didn't. They neutered the phone then supplied a half baked alternative (seriously, an add in shell, rather than built in..so lame).

Jason

Tell me PLEASE where it is gimped? No one has pointed that out. Really? No QI? Makes it gimped? Maybe I consider the 937 & 938 is Gimped, I mean they don't have PMA charging. Even though it hasn't been invented, but it is possible to create a create a case that not only has wireless charging, but also has a built in spare battery. Can't do that with Qi.. Only kind of of battery case you can get for a Qi phone would block the USB port.

myrandex

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes No Qi is right where it is. You take a nice international edition phone that has Qi built in, no need for cases or anything like that, and it just works. Then you specifically remove wireless charging from inside the phone, and as the crappy consolation prize you give people the option of buying an external case that is IMCOMPATIBLE with all wireless charging items that the same company has built and sold previously (and continues to sell).

It would be a little more forgivable if they offered both Qi internal and a PMA case externally, giving people a choice. Then the same SKU could be used across the world. While they are at it, every phone should have all of the available bands, not a special version for AT&T, a special version for Europe, a special version for China, and a special Unicorn version for Antarctica.

And while you bring up old phones, I completely felt many HTC models sold in the US were Gimped as well. Look at the original Touch Pro and the Touch Pro 2. The models sold in Europe contained a Front Facing Camera, but in the U.S. they were removed (plus Verizon had HTC reduce the amount of memory in half for the touch pro 1 model, what a shame).

I refuse to purchase an iPhone but that is one area that Apple actually gets right. Their phone uses the same bands in all of their models. They don't kowtow to carriers's wills. Now unfortunately if you want the privilege of using their phones the end users must bend to Apple's wishes, but they at least are doing some things right compared to others out there. Does the AT&T model get an update but the T-Mobile model does not? No. But look at the Lumia 810 and the Lumia 820, practically the same phone but still no Black update for the T-Mobile model.

/rant.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes No Qi is right where it is. You take a nice international edition phone that has Qi built in, no need for cases or anything like that, and it just works. Then you specifically remove wireless charging from inside the phone, and as the crappy consolation prize you give people the option of buying an external case that is IMCOMPATIBLE with all wireless charging items that the same company has built and sold previously (and continues to sell).

It would be a little more forgivable if they offered both Qi internal and a PMA case externally, giving people a choice. Then the same SKU could be used across the world. While they are at it, every phone should have all of the available bands, not a special version for AT&T, a special version for Europe, a special version for China, and a special Unicorn version for Antarctica.

And while you bring up old phones, I completely felt many HTC models sold in the US were Gimped as well. Look at the original Touch Pro and the Touch Pro 2. The models sold in Europe contained a Front Facing Camera, but in the U.S. they were removed (plus Verizon had HTC reduce the amount of memory in half for the touch pro 1 model, what a shame).

I refuse to purchase an iPhone but that is one area that Apple actually gets right. Their phone uses the same bands in all of their models. They don't kowtow to carriers's wills. Now unfortunately if you want the privilege of using their phones the end users must bend to Apple's wishes, but they at least are doing some things right compared to others out there. Does the AT&T model get an update but the T-Mobile model does not? No. But look at the Lumia 810 and the Lumia 820, practically the same phone but still no Black update for the T-Mobile model.

/rant.

​Exactly right.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
​Exactly right.

Not exactly. The iPhone is just one phone that Apple sells. It behooves them to include all the bands. Other manufacturers, like Nokia for instance, caters to a broader demographic. So, the need to have all bands on all phones is a waste. Fortunately though, if you want just one phone from Nokia that has all the bands, they do have one and it costs less than any new iPhone.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly. The iPhone is just one phone that Apple sells. It behooves them to include all the bands. Other manufacturers, like Nokia for instance, caters to a broader demographic. So, the need to have all bands on all phones is a waste. Fortunately though, if you want just one phone from Nokia that has all the bands, they do have one and it costs less than any new iPhone.

So, catering to a larger demographic means they make phones with less bands that are able to only be used on specific networks? Not sure that makes sense. I'm also not sure that making multiple different versions of the same phone, which necessitates alterations in the manufacturing process equals less of a waste, but OK. Regardless of those two points, the fact that the same phone is released internationally with specific features and then those same features are removed from phones being released in the US is ridiculous. There is no good reason that we should have to settle for phones with less in the way of features or capability than others do.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to settle. You can buy an iPhone or any other phone that suits your needs.

And the waste I mention had nothing to do with manufacturing costs, but licensing fees and such. For example, why incorporate full LTE bands that work in the entire world when your demographic is a third world country without such infrastructure that would add to cost.

Apple is a 'be all things to all people' at significant cost.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You present a fairly good argument, if we were talking about lower end phones in third world countries. However, if we are talking about phones that are supposed to be flagships, such as the 1520, or even lower end phones that are being released in the US, then the argument does not work.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to the 1520 as well. You can buy one with all the bands you need (1520.3), however it isn't the only phone sold by the manufacturer unlike the iPhone which was my point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon