How gimped is the ATT 1520 VS the 920

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Been using the 920 for a year and a half and am fairly happy with it. Love 8.1 on it. The only phone that I'd even consider replacing it is the 1520 because of the larger screen.

So I'd need to get the 32GB 1520 and I want the QI wireless charging, how do I get the ATT version to use QI and is their any other features ATT ripped out of the 1520 VS the 920.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Bummer I can't pay 630$ for a phone, I have to go through ATT to pay a more reasonable price. Looks like I'll just stick with my 920 stupid for ATT to gimp the phone

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Bummer I can't pay 630$ for a phone, I have to go through ATT to pay a more reasonable price. Looks like I'll just stick with my 920 stupid for ATT to gimp the phone

I really hate that term. Only difference is no Qi charging. I mean gee wiz, what was you doing before the 920? I don't remember my HTC Pro 2 having Qi charging, or even the many androids I used to own. I do have wireless charging on my phone, I use the PMA case. Here is the PMA case for $39.95

Incipio Nokia Lumia 1520 Ghost Wireless Charging Black Case New | eBay

And here is a powermat that will work for $5

Powermat Wireless Charging Kits for iPhone 3G 3GS Receiver Case Charging Mat | eBay

Works in my case, would have wished there was Qi charging, but the AT&T version works the same as the International version, only difference is how you charge it. And can consider the Internation version more gimped here in the US because no LTE!!!

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Not going to argue but I like the Qi charging and I have 3 qi plates I use with my 920 I'm certainly not going to change phones, pay money out of pocket and get a downgrade in certain experiences.

I like my 920 so unless I'm getting a 100% upgrade in all area's I'll just stick to what I own. It was silly of ATT to remove any features from the 1520 and makes zero sense.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't help but believe people who don't see the point of wanting wireless charging have simply never experienced it for any extended period. There's no way on earth I'd get a 1520 without Qi wireless charging. I have a 920 like the OP and can no longer do without the awesome convenience of Qi. If you're not used to it, I can see why it wouldn't be a big deal to you. But only then.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
1520.3 is the unicorn phone which it has full bands for Tmobile and At&t, 32 gigs of storage and qi charging. Newegg sells the. When you launch thou it will be in Spanish

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a 920 on AT&T too, and would love a good upgrade. I was considering the 1520 when it first came out, but it was too big. The Icon/930 is perfect, but no Glance and bad internal storage, and no microSD.

All I want is a good 920 (or better, a 1020 successor), just 5 inch screen, 1080p, better battery life, keeping Glance, S805 (as by the time these phones come out, it will have these processors), 2GB or more RAM, 64GB of internal storage and/or a microSD card slot (the 1020 successor better have this), a better and faster camera, still keeping the camera button, better FFC, better speakers, new GG tech, a lighter and thinner design (920 is a bit too thick and heavy for me), and other upgraded tech.

Too much to ask? :p

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't help but believe people who don't see the point of wanting wireless charging have simply never experienced it for any extended period. There's no way on earth I'd get a 1520 without Qi wireless charging. I have a 920 like the OP and can no longer do without the awesome convenience of Qi. If you're not used to it, I can see why it wouldn't be a big deal to you. But only then.

I have to disagree. I was on the 920 since day one and I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed the Qi charging feature. But since I've been on my 1520, I haven't missed it for a heartbeat. And picking up my 920 now? I can't imagine going back. So no, I don't miss it one bit. But keeping yourself from enjoying the best that is offered for the wont of a niche option seems shortsighted to me. But, to each their own.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to disagree. I was on the 920 since day one and I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed the Qi charging feature. But since I've been on my 1520, I haven't missed it for a heartbeat. And picking up my 920 now? I can't imagine going back. So no, I don't miss it one bit. But keeping yourself from enjoying the best that is offered for the wont of a niche option seems shortsighted to me. But, to each their own.

Well I'm not suggesting you'd miss your 920 after using the 1520, just wireless charging. Could you do without it, and would it still be worth using a 1520 over a 920? Sure, I can see that. But why do without it if you don't have to? Perhaps you're an exception in that regard and wireless charging wasn't for you for some reason, but I've read quite a few posts from people here that are refusing to get the AT&T version because they've gotten used to the convenience and versatility of built-in Qi.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1520.3 would be cool if not for the 630$ price tag. I paid 99$ for my 920 the day it launched no way I'd pay 630$ for a phone

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 on AT&T too, and would love a good upgrade. I was considering the 1520 when it first came out, but it was too big. The Icon/930 is perfect, but no Glance and bad internal storage, and no microSD.

All I want is a good 920 (or better, a 1020 successor), just 5 inch screen, 1080p, better battery life, keeping Glance, S805 (as by the time these phones come out, it will have these processors), 2GB or more RAM, 64GB of internal storage and/or a microSD card slot (the 1020 successor better have this), a better and faster camera, still keeping the camera button, better FFC, better speakers, new GG tech, a lighter and thinner design (920 is a bit too thick and heavy for me), and other upgraded tech.

Yep I'm in the same boat, wonder why their has not been a clear 100% upgrade to the 920. Every other phone seems to be some sort of compromise. It makes the 920 a great value and all considering I only paid 99$ 18 months ago but their needs to be a clear flag ship upgrade to it by now.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
It great you don't need or want wireless charging, but there are those of us who find it very important and, in my case at least, worth it for the cash and a few extra hassles to get the "uncompromised" version of the 1520. First, I've got a hardware investment in wireless charging. I have two plates in my home, one for me and one for my wife, and I have another at my office. I'm not going to easily give up on that after just two years. Second, wireless charging has made the difference in making it a habit for my wife to remember to charge her phone each day. After years of not being able to reach her because she couldn't get in the habit of remembering to plug in her device each night, the simplicity of laying the phone on the charging plate on her nightstand has ended that problem. Wireless charging is a great feature. I won't be without it.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
1520.3 would be cool if not for the 630$ price tag. I paid 99$ for my 920 the day it launched no way I'd pay 630$ for a phone

But keep in mind you end up paying even more if you add up your monthly bill over the life of a typical 2 yr contract. Buying the phone off contract and using it with an MVNO actually saves me money in the long term. Win-win :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Do as you must, but remembering to plug your phone in once every few nights to charge shouldn't be nearly as hard a remembering to brush your teeth twice a day. If the phone didn't last longer than a day I would agree, but even under heavy use the phone will still last up to two days.

Because less bits inside the phone means more money is saved. Just like Ford and the Ford Pinto. The whole exploding when rear ended issue could have been avoided by a $2 piece of plastic, but they deemed it more money saved then they will lose in court fees.
The cconvenience of wireless charging goes much deeper than charging your phone more easily. You have wireless charging stands, speakers, pillows, etc. It becomes a fun experience that integrates into your daily life having your phone charged, instead of it being a small incontinence that you have no choice but to do if you want to use your phone.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

The icon with more storage on ATT with qi would have been about perfect for me as well. I can't go up to the 1520 due to the size, and without qi I wouldn't want to. Like the OP I have multiple charging plates and really like being to walk by and drop my phone on one without thinking, or pick it up doing the same. I can't see paying money to take a step down in features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99