Beastgrip with the Lumia 1520 [ongoing review *UPDATED*]

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Using a Beastgrip with the Lumia 1520 [updated images]

My 1520 will be here wednesday. :D And I am totally on board for this if he's making a custom one just for us. Need to start hunting down lenses online now too. *Well this one looks promising http://www.bhphoto video.com/c/product/671742-REG/Sony_VCLHGA07B_VCL_HGA07B_Full_Range_Conversion.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Check out the lenses from NEEWER. They also make other accessories that will work with the Beastgrip! And the Beastgrip already supports the 1520, but these new parts will better accommodate the phone. Stay tuned- I should have the new parts by Wednesday, and I'll update with photos!

Oh, and welcome to the 1520 club! I'm still new myself- I've only had this phone for a few weeks, but it's been the best few weeks I've had, as far as cell phone ownership is concerned.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Very nice if they can fit the 1520, at first glance I was having doubt about fitment with 1520. I am also surprised you got a communication with the designer. I went to their website and emailed them a few times asking about fitment issues with the 1520 but I just got brutally ignored. Hope that they will come out with a revised version soon.

I'll be updating this thread as soon as the new parts arrive, and you can see for yourself. The designer is a great dude- and he's also extremely busy! Don't take it personally. :]

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

Nice work trying this out. I'm interested in it but not sure I have a need for it or that I would have a way to put it to use. I find the manual focus control of the nokia Camera app to be much too imprecise, without a distance indication.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Nice work trying this out. I'm interested in it but not sure I have a need for it or that I would have a way to put it to use. I find the manual focus control of the nokia Camera app to be much too imprecise, without a distance indication.

Too imprecise? How so?

*edit*

...a distance indicator would be fantastic, though.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

Too imprecise? How so?

*edit*

...a distance indicator would be fantastic, though.

I guess that (in theory) it's a good thing that a focus adjustment feature has been included in the Nokia Camera app, but in practice, I find that without displaying distance data, the manual focusing feature on this device is a bit of a gimmick.

Using the slider, I find it seems to go from Auto, with everything in focus, to manual with nothing in focus simply enough, but focusing manually on anything greater than a few inches from the device is not really possible, for me. It just seems to have a very narrow range where one can use the manual focus capability. Sorry if that is not a very clear explanation, but I find it more frustrating to use than it's ultimately worth, given the results I've made with it.

One other thing I don't like about the Nokia Camera app is how the screen does not show live effects of ISO and exposure adjustments. If I adjust the exposure duration, it would be nice if the screen either gained brightness or became darker accordingly. With this app, you have to take a picture in order to see if you've got the right exposure. Changes to the EV, WB and focus ARE shown on the display, but not ISO and Exposure. For me, WB is not necessary as I already know how these will effect the image. Same with EV,but I find that it is the ISO and Exposure duration that are critical to making a shot.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

I guess that (in theory) it's a good thing that a focus adjustment feature has been included in the Nokia Camera app, but in practice, I find that without displaying distance data, the manual focusing feature on this device is a bit of a gimmick.

Using the slider, I find it seems to go from Auto, with everything in focus, to manual with nothing in focus simply enough, but focusing manually on anything greater than a few inches from the device is not really possible, for me. It just seems to have a very narrow range where one can use the manual focus capability. Sorry if that is not a very clear explanation, but I find it more frustrating to use than it's ultimately worth, given the results I've made with it.

One other thing I don't like about the Nokia Camera app is how the screen does not show live effects of ISO and exposure adjustments. If I adjust the exposure duration, it would be nice if the screen either gained brightness or became darker accordingly. With this app, you have to take a picture in order to see if you've got the right exposure. Changes to the EV, WB and focus ARE shown on the display, but not ISO and Exposure. For me, WB is not necessary as I already know how these will effect the image. Same with EV,but I find that it is the ISO and Exposure duration that are critical to making a shot.

I haven't really thought of the manual focus being gimmicky- it's worked pretty well for me so far, though I'd very much like a distance data to be displayed, just as a reference.

WP_20140428_17_18_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20140428_17_18_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20140428_17_18_33_Pro.jpg

It manually focused on the coffee cup, which was about an inch away from the lens, and then focuses on the radio behind it as I moved the slide up. Once I got to the infinity symbol, it doesn't focus on anything as there's nothing far enough away- just an office cubicle wall lol.

I agree about the live updating as far as effects are concerned. I don't see why it can't show those as you make adjustments on the fly, instead of having to wait for the image to process. ISO and Exposure are massively critical- perhaps those will be things they can update in the future- I wouldn't think it would be a limitation of the software/hardware- the hardware is clearly quite powerful as it is.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

Nice study! I see one can get results by manually focusing, but I guess that it would probably have to be done on a tripod or otherwise braced (Beastgrip?). I mostly use it handheld and haven't had much luck.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Nice study! I see one can get results by manually focusing, but I guess that it would probably have to be done on a tripod or otherwise braced (Beastgrip?). I mostly use it handheld and haven't had much luck.

Those manual focus photos were taken with the 1520 alone, without the Beastgrip. I just had it held steady on the desk. :p

But I honestly haven't ran into any problems with focusing so far, but with the other settings- I totally agree that it's tricky without being able to see what the image will look like before taking it.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

What kind of case you have on 1520

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

I got it off of ebay! Here's a link for you: CLICKY CLICKY

$5.95 and it's worked swimmingly so far. I even have a screen protector on it also, and they work well together. I hate going naked with my phones haha.

And the best part about this case is that the 1520 will still fit on the Beastgrip, with the case on, and the "camera bump" is negated as the case lies perfectly flush with the glass of the lens. It's a win-win.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

ISO and Exposure are massively critical- perhaps those will be things they can update in the future- I wouldn't think it would be a limitation of the software/hardware- the hardware is clearly quite powerful as it is.

Yes, either in the Nokia Camera app natively, or through a third party developer... no one offers anything that can do this yet. I would also like to have presets so that I don't have to set ISO 100 and WB Cloudy ALL OF THE TIME!

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Yes, either in the Nokia Camera app natively, or through a third party developer... no one offers anything that can do this yet. I would also like to have presets so that I don't have to set ISO 100 and WB Cloudy ALL OF THE TIME!

I AGREE! Lol. Presets would be absolutely brilliant.

I feel like we're complaining about misplaced pennies in our million-dollar vault lol. Everything is so bloody awesome about this phone, but here we are, wanting more. :p

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

I AGREE! Lol. Presets would be absolutely brilliant.

I feel like we're complaining about misplaced pennies in our million-dollar vault lol. Everything is so bloody awesome about this phone, but here we are, wanting more. :p

Right, I guess so! But I had those specific features on my last Nokia, the N75 from 2007!

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Right, I guess so! But I had those specific features on my last Nokia, the N75 from 2007!

Hmmmm..... good point. Well, let's start crossing our fingers for these kinds of updates once the next Lumia firmware update rolls out!

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

Check THIS APP out. It's not exactly what we're wanting, but it does seem to be pretty powerful, and has quite a bit of features packed into it.

Thanks, I've got that one already (I think I bought it awhile ago) and didn't see too much use for it. The truth is with a basic simple p&s, you can actually do a lot more than you could with this phone, except for the fact that the phone is always THERE! Most of my dslr gear never comes out anymore (yet fully knowing this, I'm still looking for a 6D, Doh!)

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, I've got that one already (I think I bought it awhile ago) and didn't see too much use for it. The truth is with a basic simple p&s, you can actually do a lot more than you could with this phone, except for the fact that the phone is always THERE! Most of my dslr gear never comes out anymore (yet fully knowing this, I'm still looking for a 6D, Doh!)

My girl has a Canon t2i, and it's awesome, but it's so cumbersome to actively take everywhere with us, or with myself, as I bike about. I always have my phone on me, so the Beastgrip has proven to be a pretty awesome "middle man", between the mobility of the 1520 and the professionalism of the Canon. I really would like to see more feature-rich content come to Nokia's Pro apps, and I bet that it will eventually (maybe with the Lumia Cyan update?), but for the moment- all in all- I'm a pretty happy camper.

Stoked to see what the new extended bits will look like, and a lens add-on. Of course, I'll be updating this as soon as I get them all installed!

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Beastgrip on the Lumia 1520 (to be updated)

Okay! So my beastgrip arrived and I've got it setup. I've been in contact with the developer through this whole process, and he's actually redesigning parts of the Beastgrip to better accommodate the 1520. But even as-is, the phone does fit and the whole kit works as intended. Here's some pictures of the 1520 inside the Beastgrip chassis:

View attachment 64417

View attachment 64418

View attachment 64419

View attachment 64420

View attachment 64421

View attachment 64422

View attachment 64423

I'll continue to update this thread with images, once I get the new re-extended parts that he's currently working on. I'll also include some shots I took while the 1520 was inside the Beastgrip chassis.

Also, to note: my 1520 is inside a snap-on case. It fits with or without the case, but I never go naked with my phones, so, the case stays! Thankfully, it fits just fine either way.

Cheers!

Hey pal, thanks for the updates! I thought that Beastgrip was compatible for the 1020 only... But now, this news got me excited! Btw, apart from the Beastgrip, what other accessories have you bought (i.e. lens and mount) to enhance photography with the 1520? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster