Beastgrip with the Lumia 1520 [ongoing review *UPDATED*]

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Beastgrip on the Lumia 1520 (to be updated)

Hey pal, thanks for the updates! I thought that Beastgrip was compatible for the 1020 only... But now, this news got me excited! Btw, apart from the Beastgrip, what other accessories have you bought (i.e. lens and mount) to enhance photography with the 1520? :)

No problem! My hope is that it will encourage other people to pick up a Beastgrip for themselves! Safe to say that if it works with the 1520, it'll work with just about any phone haha.

I've got some items on my list to acquire within the next week or two:

My To-Get List:
Bike Mount
Mini Ball Head (updated link)
1/4" to 3/4" Adapter
V-Mount Bracket
Stabilizer

What I've gotten so far:
Tripod/Pistol Grip
Hotshoe Level
LED Flash Mount
Tactical Pouch (to carry most of this stuff in lol)

Last edited:

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Hey pal, thanks for the updates! I thought that Beastgrip was compatible for the 1020 only... But now, this news got me excited! Btw, apart from the Beastgrip, what other accessories have you bought (i.e. lens and mount) to enhance photography with the 1520? :)

Here are some images of the Hotshoe Level that just arrived yesterday. Pretty neat little thingamajig!

WP_20140430_00_49_00_Pro20140430005455.jpg

WP_20140430_00_58_53_Pro20140430005950.jpg WP_20140430_00_49_58_Pro.jpg

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Using a Beastgrip with the Lumia 1520 [updated images]

Very nice if they can fit the 1520, at first glance I was having doubt about fitment with 1520. I am also surprised you got a communication with the designer. I went to their website and emailed them a few times asking about fitment issues with the 1520 but I just got brutally ignored. Hope that they will come out with a revised version soon.

I'll be updating tonight or tomorrow morning, with the new parts installed. Stay tuned!

jbeelby

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

The new extended parts arrived today, but sadly I'm at work so I won't be able to test them out until later tonight. Stay tuned!

Awesome! Can't wait to see them, and then hopefully get them for my black/yellow beastgrip down the road.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Awesome! Can't wait to see them, and then hopefully get them for my black/yellow beastgrip down the road.

I'll be giving the designer direct feedback with how the parts fit and function, and then he'll be able to either move forward with the new extensions or do some more fine-tuning. Either way- it's a win-win for 1520 owners!

Black/Yellow- nice. Is it to match your (I'm assuming) yellow 1520? I got the blue/black to match my fixed gear's color scheme. Gotta stay stylish! It's important!

jbeelby

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately I got the black one. Not a real big deal though, because I'm going to get a case for it soon. With my 920 I just switched out cases depending on my mood haha

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

No problem! My hope is that it will encourage other people to pick up a Beastgrip for themselves! Safe to say that if it works with the 1520, it'll work with just about any phone haha.

I've got some items on my list to acquire within the next week or two:

My To-Get List:
Bike Mount
LED Flash Mount
Mini Ball Head (updated link)
1/4" to 3/4" Adapter
V-Mount Bracket
Stabilizer

What I've gotten so far:
Tripod/Pistol Grip
Hotshoe Level
Tactical Pouch (to carry most of this stuff in lol)

Thanks! I may be getting the pistol grip and hotshoe level at somw time. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

And the new parts have arrived! They came in last night, but I didn't have time to get things organized and photos taken until this morning. The new extended arms fit GREAT and look great also! The developer even threw in a NEEWER 52mm wide angle lens and a step-up adapter to try out also. I'll be taking this out to test around the city soon, but my initial thoughts are all in the positive, and decidedly so. See for yourself!

IMG_4488.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4489.jpg IMG_4493.jpg

IMG_4490.jpg IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4495.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Beastgrip with the Lumia 1520 [*NEW* Extended Parts!]

I love your enthusiasm, but I can't help thinking that for all the bulk and crap you have to bolt onto your phone, you might as well just get a compact camera to take along. It will have a lot better image quality than this add-on lens stuff, and it keeps your phone nice and light, and still ready for awesome shots when you happen to forget the point and shoot. But that's just my opinion :).

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

I love your enthusiasm, but I can't help thinking that for all the bulk and crap you have to bolt onto your phone, you might as well just get a compact camera to take along. It will have a lot better image quality than this add-on lens stuff, and it keeps your phone nice and light, and still ready for awesome shots when you happen to forget the point and shoot. But that's just my opinion :).

I already have enough electronics on my person while biking haha. This is just easier for me- having the phone and the Beastgrip both in my messenger bag, and being able to combine them for steadier and more focused shooting when needed. It's also the convenience of on-the-fly editing, sharing and uploading of pictures I take, instead of having to wait until I get home or to a computer to upload them. But different strokes for different folks! :amaze:

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Re-extended arms
vs original extended arms

WP_20140501_21_51_30_Pro20140501215246.jpg

1. It makes a HUGE difference!
2. The step-up ring is also installed in this image. The actual lens mount is the same size (37mm) on both parts.
3. With the original extended arms, the left-hand grip wasn't compatible. With the new re-extended arms, it fits!​

jbeelby

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

That looks a lot better! What great customer service though, getting the step-up ring and lens as a bonus.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Only if you can get their attention I think, otherwise you get nothing. :)

It's not so much customer service as it's just great networking and feedback support. I spent a good bit of time taking photos and brainstorming how the product could be improved, and did everything that the developer asked. I certainly had no intent of doing anything to get something- I just wanted to see the Beastgrip be improved for the 1520. I even offered to pay for the new parts if he would able to make them at some point. Just so happened to be something he was already considering doing, but couldn't get access to a 1520 from where he is. :p

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

That looks a lot better! What great customer service though, getting the step-up ring and lens as a bonus.

It was a welcome surprise! The extended arms were a bonus enough, but this lens is pretty kick-***. And yeah, the 1520 fits SO much better now. It's like it was always meant to be.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Here's a shot I took today using the wide angle lens and beastgrip combo.

WP_20140502_14_21_16_Pro20140502144720140502145502w.jpg

ISO 100 and 1/1205 Exposure

wp8hereicome

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

It's not so much customer service as it's just great networking and feedback support. I spent a good bit of time taking photos and brainstorming how the product could be improved, and did everything that the developer asked. I certainly had no intent of doing anything to get something- I just wanted to see the Beastgrip be improved for the 1520. I even offered to pay for the new parts if he would able to make them at some point. Just so happened to be something he was already considering doing, but couldn't get access to a 1520 from where he is. :p

Don't get me wrong. I am not insinuating any play on your end, and the fact that they are working on improving the product with customers is fantastic. I am just trying to say that one can probably get good support and feedback from the vendor if and only if one can get the vendor to respond to you, that's all.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I already have enough electronics on my person while biking haha. This is just easier for me- having the phone and the Beastgrip both in my messenger bag, and being able to combine them for steadier and more focused shooting when needed. It's also the convenience of on-the-fly editing, sharing and uploading of pictures I take, instead of having to wait until I get home or to a computer to upload them. But different strokes for different folks! :amaze:

I agree on this matter! And also, I don't have any camera, but I had this in mind when I bought my 1520 so that I don't have to buy a cheap PS camera. It's called investment, ya know! :)

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

And the new parts have arrived! They came in last night, but I didn't have time to get things organized and photos taken until this morning. The new extended arms fit GREAT and look great also! The developer even threw in a NEEWER 52mm wide angle lens and a step-up adapter to try out also. I'll be taking this out to test around the city soon, but my initial thoughts are all in the positive, and decidedly so. See for yourself!

View attachment 65171

View attachment 65172

View attachment 65178 View attachment 65174

View attachment 65173 View attachment 65175

View attachment 65176

View attachment 65177

Will they be selling the lens too? It looks cool and seems to function well. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member