About to purchase the Nokia Lumia 1520. Which one do I purchase?

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi, everyone!

I'm about to purchase the Nokia Lumia 1520. I plan on using it with Rogers, Bell, Telus or Fido. NOT with Wind or Mobilicity. Ever.

Do I go with the RM 937 or RM 938?

Will I be missing out on anything from these carriers if I go with the RM 937? :)

Edit: Which colour should I get?! And also, where is the cheapest place to get it? I was thinking of getting it from Omega Cell. I'm in Ontario.

Edit 2: Also, will I still have a one year manufacturer warranty if I purchase the phone unlocked?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The 940 is AT&T's crippled version - 16GB & no internal QI.

AT&T has a 32GB black only version. (Online orders only) But no Qi... But it will work the same as any other 1520. But my advice is to buy the 938 it was made to please both worlds

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I should had wait few more months... I bought the 940 in December of last year... If I know it that does not come with Qi I would buy the 938 which have better specifications.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
They are the same phone, but the 938 has Qi and runs on all bands.... So unless you have a houseful of Qi pads, then it would make no difference. If you have the Incipio PMA case, there is a guy on eBay selling the powermat for $5 a piece. So you can put one in every room and still cost you less than 1 of those Qi pads...

Oh, I forgot, the 938 comes in 32GB many colors, where the 940 has a 32GB but only in black. But that doesn't make it faster or better specs...

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
They are the same phone, but the 938 has Qi and runs on all bands.... So unless you have a houseful of Qi pads, then it would make no difference. If you have the Incipio PMA case, there is a guy on eBay selling the powermat for $5 a piece. So you can put one in every room and still cost you less than 1 of those Qi pads...

Oh, I forgot, the 938 comes in 32GB many colors, where the 940 has a 32GB but only in black. But that doesn't make it faster or better specs...

That may do it for some people but others don't want to put a bulky case on an already large phone and prefer wireless charging to be built-in.

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Yup! I have two Qi chargers. I don't see why I would need them all over the house though. Thats just passive aggressive silly talk.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That may do it for some people but others don't want to put a bulky case on an already large phone and prefer wireless charging to be built-in.

Have you even looked at the case? I mean doesn't the camera add 10lbs? It adds nothing to the top or bottom, very little to the sides. The thickness of the back isn't that thick either. I have it on my phone, and if you put any hard case on a phone that case will make your phone bigger than this Incipio case does. And with a phone this size, not having a case on it could be a bigger mistake. Not all of us suffer from Megalophobia (Fear of large things) or we wouldn't have bought a 6" phone.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you even looked at the case? I mean doesn't the camera add 10lbs? It adds nothing to the top or bottom, very little to the sides. The thickness of the back isn't that thick either. I have it on my phone, and if you put any hard case on a phone that case will make your phone bigger than this Incipio case does. And with a phone this size, not having a case on it could be a bigger mistake. Not all of us suffer from Megalophobia (Fear of large things) or we wouldn't have bought a 6" phone.

Not sure why you're being defensive. I was simply pointing out one other reason that wasn't mentioned. If you're fine with the way AT&T does it, that's great. But wasn't the discussion about the differences between the variants and why people might prefer one over the other? Pretty sure not wanting to put a case on it just for wireless charging has more to do with aesthetics than "Megalophobia." I could be wrong.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why you're being defensive. I was simply pointing out one other reason that wasn't mentioned. If you're fine with the way AT&T does it, that's great. But wasn't the discussion about the differences between the variants and why people might prefer one over the other? Pretty sure not wanting to put a case on it just for wireless charging has more to do with aesthetics than "Megalophobia." I could be wrong.

Never mind, I just hate it when people put their opinion in about something they probably haven't seen. I would have put a case on my 1520, even if it did have Qi. So as for it being "bulky" it's a little fatter, but even those soft plastic skins would have made the 1520 bigger in all directions. But the OP wasn't even thinking about the 940 anyway. Just the LTE crippled 937 and the "I have everything" 938...

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Never mind, I just hate it when people put their opinion in about something they probably haven't seen. I would have put a case on my 1520, even if it did have Qi. So as for it being "bulky" it's a little fatter, but even those soft plastic skins would have made the 1520 bigger in all directions. But the OP wasn't even thinking about the 940 anyway. Just the LTE crippled 937 and the "I have everything" 938...

I live in a big metro area with Microsoft and AT&T stores. And the fact that I frequent this forum probably tells you I visit those stores often enough. I've seen the cases. I never implied that they're bulkier than other cases. Didn't compare them to other cases at all actually. I was merely saying some people prefer no case at all, but still want wireless charging. That's it :smile:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I live in a big metro area with Microsoft and AT&T stores. And the fact that I frequent this forum probably tells you I visit those stores often enough. I've seen the cases. I never implied that they're bulkier than other cases. Didn't compare them to other cases at all actually. I was merely saying some people prefer no case at all, but still want wireless charging. That's it :smile:

Fair enough... I have read too many complaints about how easy they break when it hits the floor, so I never even go without a minimal case. Even though in all these years I have owned I never broke one I wasn't trying to (and I had a heck of a time trying to do that, who knew that the HTC Pro 2 can fall down 40 metal stairs and not break? LoL). But better safe than sorry. But I also would have gotten the phone Qi/PMA or just had to plug it in all the time like the last dozen (Except the 920) phones I owned over time. I still don't understand the big deal over wireless charging, never owned a Android that had it. SO I never considered a phone GIMPED or CRIPPLED because it didn't have wireless charging.....

whatchamacallitss

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi, everyone!

I'm about to purchase the Nokia Lumia 1520. I plan on using it with Rogers, Bell, Telus or Fido. NOT with Wind or Mobilicity. Ever.
Do I go with the RM 937 or RM 938?
Will I be missing out on anything from these carriers if I go with the RM 937? :)
Edit: Which colour should I get?! And also, where is the cheapest place to get it? I was thinking of getting it from Omega Cell. I'm in Ontario.
Edit 2: Also, will I still have a one year manufacturer warranty if I purchase the phone unlocked?

But the RM-937. The RM-938 has more bands, BUT if you're using it on Rogers/Bell/Telus/Fido, the RM-938 provides marginal benefit.
In the city, the RM-937 should pick up the LTE bands, and therefore, it should work fine. If you are in an area where the LTE signal is weak, then you would experience a battery drain.
Also, if you can't catch LTE in your location, you should be able to catch HSPA+, and there are threads on this forum where posters on Rogers have shown that their HSPA+ speeds are greater than their LTE speeds anyways. While LTE is theoretically faster, its only faster in ideal settings which is usually rare.

Lastly, don't buy from OmegaCell or ExpanSys or Negri etc.
Just buy from eBay. Ships direct from Hong Kong / USA via FedEx (3 business days delivery, 4 MAX), and is a heck of a lot cheaper too.
Comes with 30 day return and a 12 month warranty as well. Everyone I know in Alberta who has bought a 1520 has bought it from eBay. OmegaCell, ExpanSys and Negri are just way too overpriced.
Here are some eBay links:
Nokia Lumia 1520 Black RM 937 Factory Unlocked 6" Full HD 32GB 20MP | eBay
Nokia Lumia 1520 White RM 937 Factory Unlocked 6" Full HD 32GB 20MP | eBay
Nokia Lumia 1520 Yellow RM 937 Factory Unlocked 6" Full HD 32GB 20MP | eBay
Nokia Lumia 1520 RED RM 937 Factory Unlocked 6" Full HD 32GB 20MP | eBay

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!

Now I heard that the RM 937 does not have all the bands for Rogers/Bell/Telus. Is this true?

I thought for Rogers you need 1900, 2100, 2600. But the RM 937 only has 2600?
Also it won't have the new 700 frequency from Rogers as well?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb