About to purchase the Nokia Lumia 1520. Which one do I purchase?

whatchamacallitss

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
​I read that in a Dwight Schrute voice.

Lol. I didn't mean to be harsh. Just far too many people confusing USA LTE bands with Canada LTE bands.
Yes, the RM-937 does not support the 700 LTE band that Rogers just rolled out, but lots of people live in the cities where the 2600 band is quite strong.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Lol. I didn't mean to be harsh. Just far too many people confusing USA LTE bands with Canada LTE bands.
Yes, the RM-937 does not support the 700 LTE band that Rogers just rolled out, but lots of people live in the cities where the 2600 band is quite strong.

Canadian users of the 937 have reported that they don't get LTE. Unless it's an issue of US carriers requiring two bands for LTE support and Canadian ones only requiring one band.

whatchamacallitss

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Canadian users of the 937 have reported that they don't get LTE. Unless it's an issue of US carriers requiring two bands for LTE support and Canadian ones only requiring one band.

The 2600 band has a lesser footprint than the complete AWS LTE bands, and therefore there will be some areas where the signal is weak. Additionally, the 2600 LTE band does not get good penetration when you get too deep into a building (like a basement for example). Both of these facts result in low signal strength, ESPECIALLY if you live outside the city limits for most cities. That is why the other user was facing battery problems as they probably were trying it from deep inside their office building and wondering why the signal is low.

BUT the upside is that while LTE is in most major cities in Canada, it does not mean the quality of the LTE is good as it hasn't been rolled out completely (from what I've read, a few cities got it just earlier this year apparently?). Therefore, Canadians are reporting HSPA speeds that are faster than the LTE speeds they are getting.

Last edited:

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The box that my 938 came in lists:

LTE 700/850/1700/1900/2600, although that seems to be missing the 2100 that has to be there for it to be showing LTE on T-Mobile right now, so who the heck knows what it'll really do, but it does purport to have the 2600 band.

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I was reading somewhere that for rm-938 they don't state it has 2100, but it does. Apparently Nokia believes that having 2100 is a given and consumers should already just know...?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
So I ended up buying the Nokia Lumia 1520.3 RM-938 from Negri Electronics.

I put the order in on Saturday and today when I called in they told me that I won't be receiving my phone for now because it's been put on backorder. When I purchased the phone however, it said it was in stock. A little frustrating, but understandable.

Any way that I can still find this phone in Yellow? I live in Canada. Need the Lumia 1520.3. :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So I ended up buying the Nokia Lumia 1520.3 RM-938 from Negri Electronics.

I put the order in on Saturday and today when I called in they told me that I won't be receiving my phone for now because it's been put on backorder. When I purchased the phone however, it said it was in stock. A little frustrating, but understandable.

Any way that I can still find this phone in Yellow? I live in Canada. Need the Lumia 1520.3. :)

Interesting. They just supposedly got new stock in last week. Makes me wonder if those were just a few returned units, they only got a couple in to begin with, or (least likely) they just had a bunch of orders over the weekend.

Either way I'm afraid your only options are Negri and Newegg for now. There's another site claiming "in stock soon" for the 938 but it's been saying that forever - http://www.popularelectronics.com/SearchResults.asp?search=lumia+1520+rm-938#.U1aniVeTIlU

I plan to purchase a yellow RM-938 as well but I'm not quite decided yet given the myriad issues people continue to have with their units.

Keep us updated.

Last edited:

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. They just supposedly got new stock in last week. Makes me wonder if those were just a few returned units, they only got a couple in to begin with, or (least likely) they just had a bunch of orders over the weekend.

Either way I'm afraid your only options are Negri and Newegg for now. There's another site claiming "in stock soon" for the 938 but it's been saying that forever - Unlocked GSM Cell Phone, Voltage Converter Transformer

I plan to purchase a yellow RM-938 as well but I'm not quite decided yet given the myriad issues people continue to have with their units.

Keep us updated.

There have been issues with the 938?? What issues? :s

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Only issue I have is with double tap to wake and my lock pin. It seems that the double tap often triggers a tap on the number pad, resulting in a mistyped pin.

Deadbluesky666

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The RM-937 work perfectly here in Canada on LTE im from Quebec, im with Fido and iv got a Lumia RM-820 and a RM-937, the band with fido is 1700/2100/2600mhz and it is damn fast enough (no 1700mhz for 937 this is 1800mhz insted).... sometime when i go too far from a city i lost the LTE but the 4G and very rarely the 3G get on and i can get on the web... so you can get the RM-938 if you want to pay more because for me after a search on the web it is the only huge difference i can see.... the 937/938/940 are both pentaband LTE.... only the 937 is 3G quadband but who care ?? and of course the 940 is only 16gb and black and even there who care there is a microsd slot !!!! this is my speed test Wifi at home and LTE in my town, iv got better result when i go in a biger city like Montreal but as you can see my speed is 6x faster than my home network WP_20140423.png

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, do you think the 1700 automatically means it has 2100?

You think if I were to call Nokia, they could tell me?

There's a lengthy RM-938 thread somewhere in this forum, and I think I recall somebody confirming that 2100 is indeed on board. You should probably double check though.

whatchamacallitss

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
The RM-937 work perfectly here in Canada on LTE im from Quebec, im with Fido and iv got a Lumia RM-820 and a RM-937, the band with fido is 1700/2100/2600mhz and it is damn fast enough (no 1700mhz for 937 this is 1800mhz insted).... sometime when i go too far from a city i lost the LTE but the 4G and very rarely the 3G get on and i can get on the web... so you can get the RM-938 if you want to pay more because for me after a search on the web it is the only huge difference i can see.... the 937/938/940 are both pentaband LTE.... only the 937 is 3G quadband but who care ?? and of course the 940 is only 16gb and black and even there who care there is a microsd slot !!!! this is my speed test Wifi at home and LTE in my town, iv got better result when i go in a biger city like Montreal but as you can see my speed is 6x faster than my home network View attachment 64228

Thanks for the post.
I tried convincing the OP that in a major Canadian city with any of the Big 3 Telecoms, LTE works just fine on RM-937.
Everyone here is confusing the USA bands with the Canadian bands and thinking LTE is not possible at all in Canada on the RM-937.
I guess its their money, not mine, so what do I care.

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I understand its possible. Its just that I'm in Mississauga, on and Im with Fido.

I'm afraid of not getting a 1700 or 700mhz frequency signal and my battery draining constantly looking for LTE.

I understand that it still has 2600, but I'm just afraid that might not be enough...

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

marcellotomasella

May 4, 2014
Visit site
The RM-937 work perfectly here in Canada on LTE im from Quebec, im with Fido and iv got a Lumia RM-820 and a RM-937, the band with fido is 1700/2100/2600mhz and it is damn fast enough (no 1700mhz for 937 this is 1800mhz insted).... sometime when i go too far from a city i lost the LTE but the 4G and very rarely the 3G get on and i can get on the web... so you can get the RM-938 if you want to pay more because for me after a search on the web it is the only huge difference i can see.... the 937/938/940 are both pentaband LTE.... only the 937 is 3G quadband but who care ?? and of course the 940 is only 16gb and black and even there who care there is a microsd slot !!!! this is my speed test Wifi at home and LTE in my town, iv got better result when i go in a biger city like Montreal but as you can see my speed is 6x faster than my home network View attachment 64228

Hi Sebastian, did you have to configure the phone in any way? I purchased an unlocked 1520 rm-937 and my phone will not go higher than 3g. Sometimes H+ but that's it. DId you have to manually enter the APN information?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs