05-03-2014 08:02 PM
37 12
tools
    Hi, everyone!

I'm about to purchase the Nokia Lumia 1520. I plan on using it with Rogers, Bell, Telus or Fido. NOT with Wind or Mobilicity. Ever.

Do I go with the RM 937 or RM 938?

Will I be missing out on anything from these carriers if I go with the RM 937? :)

Edit: Which colour should I get?! And also, where is the cheapest place to get it? I was thinking of getting it from Omega Cell. I'm in Ontario.

Edit 2: Also, will I still have a one year manufacturer warranty if I purchase the phone unlocked?
    04-19-2014 12:25 PM
    I think one has Qi built in and one doesn't, so I suggest getting the one with Qi. It also has 32GB. :)
    04-19-2014 12:31 PM
    The site says they are both 32GB and both have QI charging. I believe you're talking about the AT&T phones.
    04-19-2014 12:38 PM
    The site says they are both 32GB and both have QI charging. I believe you're talking about the AT&T phones.
    I think some of the international ones don't have Qi as well.
    04-19-2014 02:51 PM
    Here's the specs of all the models: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_1520-5760.php

The 940 is AT&T's crippled version - 16GB & no internal QI.

I reckon your biggest concern should be to get a 1520 compatible with the LTE bands in use in your region.
    unstoppablekem and hasasimo like this.
    04-19-2014 03:13 PM
    I think some of the international ones don't have Qi as well.
    No, only the ATT version RM-940 lacks Qi.
    04-20-2014 02:31 AM
    The 940 is AT&T's crippled version - 16GB & no internal QI.
    AT&T has a 32GB black only version. (Online orders only) But no Qi... But it will work the same as any other 1520. But my advice is to buy the 938 it was made to please both worlds
    04-20-2014 07:38 AM
    I should had wait few more months... I bought the 940 in December of last year... If I know it that does not come with Qi I would buy the 938 which have better specifications.
    04-20-2014 07:43 AM
    They are the same phone, but the 938 has Qi and runs on all bands.... So unless you have a houseful of Qi pads, then it would make no difference. If you have the Incipio PMA case, there is a guy on eBay selling the powermat for $5 a piece. So you can put one in every room and still cost you less than 1 of those Qi pads...

Oh, I forgot, the 938 comes in 32GB many colors, where the 940 has a 32GB but only in black. But that doesn't make it faster or better specs...
    04-20-2014 07:56 AM
    They are the same phone, but the 938 has Qi and runs on all bands.... So unless you have a houseful of Qi pads, then it would make no difference. If you have the Incipio PMA case, there is a guy on eBay selling the powermat for $5 a piece. So you can put one in every room and still cost you less than 1 of those Qi pads...

Oh, I forgot, the 938 comes in 32GB many colors, where the 940 has a 32GB but only in black. But that doesn't make it faster or better specs...
    That may do it for some people but others don't want to put a bulky case on an already large phone and prefer wireless charging to be built-in.
    04-20-2014 01:28 PM
    Yup! I have two Qi chargers. I don't see why I would need them all over the house though. Thats just passive aggressive silly talk.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    hasasimo and oditius like this.
    04-20-2014 01:35 PM
    That may do it for some people but others don't want to put a bulky case on an already large phone and prefer wireless charging to be built-in.
    Have you even looked at the case? I mean doesn't the camera add 10lbs? It adds nothing to the top or bottom, very little to the sides. The thickness of the back isn't that thick either. I have it on my phone, and if you put any hard case on a phone that case will make your phone bigger than this Incipio case does. And with a phone this size, not having a case on it could be a bigger mistake. Not all of us suffer from Megalophobia (Fear of large things) or we wouldn't have bought a 6" phone.
    04-20-2014 03:11 PM
    Have you even looked at the case? I mean doesn't the camera add 10lbs? It adds nothing to the top or bottom, very little to the sides. The thickness of the back isn't that thick either. I have it on my phone, and if you put any hard case on a phone that case will make your phone bigger than this Incipio case does. And with a phone this size, not having a case on it could be a bigger mistake. Not all of us suffer from Megalophobia (Fear of large things) or we wouldn't have bought a 6" phone.
    Not sure why you're being defensive. I was simply pointing out one other reason that wasn't mentioned. If you're fine with the way AT&T does it, that's great. But wasn't the discussion about the differences between the variants and why people might prefer one over the other? Pretty sure not wanting to put a case on it just for wireless charging has more to do with aesthetics than "Megalophobia." I could be wrong.
    Last edited by hasasimo; 04-20-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    04-20-2014 05:19 PM
    Not sure why you're being defensive. I was simply pointing out one other reason that wasn't mentioned. If you're fine with the way AT&T does it, that's great. But wasn't the discussion about the differences between the variants and why people might prefer one over the other? Pretty sure not wanting to put a case on it just for wireless charging has more to do with aesthetics than "Megalophobia." I could be wrong.
    Never mind, I just hate it when people put their opinion in about something they probably haven't seen. I would have put a case on my 1520, even if it did have Qi. So as for it being "bulky" it's a little fatter, but even those soft plastic skins would have made the 1520 bigger in all directions. But the OP wasn't even thinking about the 940 anyway. Just the LTE crippled 937 and the "I have everything" 938...
    04-20-2014 07:31 PM
    Never mind, I just hate it when people put their opinion in about something they probably haven't seen. I would have put a case on my 1520, even if it did have Qi. So as for it being "bulky" it's a little fatter, but even those soft plastic skins would have made the 1520 bigger in all directions. But the OP wasn't even thinking about the 940 anyway. Just the LTE crippled 937 and the "I have everything" 938...
    I live in a big metro area with Microsoft and AT&T stores. And the fact that I frequent this forum probably tells you I visit those stores often enough. I've seen the cases. I never implied that they're bulkier than other cases. Didn't compare them to other cases at all actually. I was merely saying some people prefer no case at all, but still want wireless charging. That's it
    04-20-2014 09:50 PM
    I live in a big metro area with Microsoft and AT&T stores. And the fact that I frequent this forum probably tells you I visit those stores often enough. I've seen the cases. I never implied that they're bulkier than other cases. Didn't compare them to other cases at all actually. I was merely saying some people prefer no case at all, but still want wireless charging. That's it
    Fair enough... I have read too many complaints about how easy they break when it hits the floor, so I never even go without a minimal case. Even though in all these years I have owned I never broke one I wasn't trying to (and I had a heck of a time trying to do that, who knew that the HTC Pro 2 can fall down 40 metal stairs and not break? LoL). But better safe than sorry. But I also would have gotten the phone Qi/PMA or just had to plug it in all the time like the last dozen (Except the 920) phones I owned over time. I still don't understand the big deal over wireless charging, never owned a Android that had it. SO I never considered a phone GIMPED or CRIPPLED because it didn't have wireless charging.....
    04-21-2014 06:08 AM
    Hi, everyone!

I'm about to purchase the Nokia Lumia 1520. I plan on using it with Rogers, Bell, Telus or Fido. NOT with Wind or Mobilicity. Ever.
    Do I go with the RM 937 or RM 938?
    Will I be missing out on anything from these carriers if I go with the RM 937? :)
    Edit: Which colour should I get?! And also, where is the cheapest place to get it? I was thinking of getting it from Omega Cell. I'm in Ontario.
    Edit 2: Also, will I still have a one year manufacturer warranty if I purchase the phone unlocked?
    But the RM-937. The RM-938 has more bands, BUT if you're using it on Rogers/Bell/Telus/Fido, the RM-938 provides marginal benefit.
    In the city, the RM-937 should pick up the LTE bands, and therefore, it should work fine. If you are in an area where the LTE signal is weak, then you would experience a battery drain.
    Also, if you can't catch LTE in your location, you should be able to catch HSPA+, and there are threads on this forum where posters on Rogers have shown that their HSPA+ speeds are greater than their LTE speeds anyways. While LTE is theoretically faster, its only faster in ideal settings which is usually rare.

Lastly, don't buy from OmegaCell or ExpanSys or Negri etc.
    Just buy from eBay. Ships direct from Hong Kong / USA via FedEx (3 business days delivery, 4 MAX), and is a heck of a lot cheaper too.
    Comes with 30 day return and a 12 month warranty as well. Everyone I know in Alberta who has bought a 1520 has bought it from eBay. OmegaCell, ExpanSys and Negri are just way too overpriced.
    Here are some eBay links:
    Nokia Lumia 1520 Black RM 937 Factory Unlocked 6" Full HD 32GB 20MP | eBay
    Nokia Lumia 1520 White RM 937 Factory Unlocked 6" Full HD 32GB 20MP | eBay
    Nokia Lumia 1520 Yellow RM 937 Factory Unlocked 6" Full HD 32GB 20MP | eBay
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RED RM 937 Factory Unlocked 6" Full HD 32GB 20MP | eBay
    04-21-2014 07:34 AM
    Thank you!

Now I heard that the RM 937 does not have all the bands for Rogers/Bell/Telus. Is this true?

I thought for Rogers you need 1900, 2100, 2600. But the RM 937 only has 2600?
    Also it won't have the new 700 frequency from Rogers as well?
    04-21-2014 08:47 AM
    The 937 doesn't have LTE in North America.
    04-21-2014 09:01 AM
    The 937 doesn't have LTE in North America.
    FALSE.
    Rogers and Bell support the 2600 LTE band, which the RM-937 has.
    04-21-2014 09:41 AM
    FALSE.
    Rogers and Bell support the 2600 LTE band, which the RM-937 has.
    ​I read that in a Dwight Schrute voice.
    04-21-2014 09:49 AM
    ​I read that in a Dwight Schrute voice.
    Lol. I didn't mean to be harsh. Just far too many people confusing USA LTE bands with Canada LTE bands.
    Yes, the RM-937 does not support the 700 LTE band that Rogers just rolled out, but lots of people live in the cities where the 2600 band is quite strong.
    04-21-2014 10:18 AM
    Lol. I didn't mean to be harsh. Just far too many people confusing USA LTE bands with Canada LTE bands.
    Yes, the RM-937 does not support the 700 LTE band that Rogers just rolled out, but lots of people live in the cities where the 2600 band is quite strong.
    Canadian users of the 937 have reported that they don't get LTE. Unless it's an issue of US carriers requiring two bands for LTE support and Canadian ones only requiring one band.
    04-21-2014 10:46 AM
    Canadian users of the 937 have reported that they don't get LTE. Unless it's an issue of US carriers requiring two bands for LTE support and Canadian ones only requiring one band.
    The 2600 band has a lesser footprint than the complete AWS LTE bands, and therefore there will be some areas where the signal is weak. Additionally, the 2600 LTE band does not get good penetration when you get too deep into a building (like a basement for example). Both of these facts result in low signal strength, ESPECIALLY if you live outside the city limits for most cities. That is why the other user was facing battery problems as they probably were trying it from deep inside their office building and wondering why the signal is low.

BUT the upside is that while LTE is in most major cities in Canada, it does not mean the quality of the LTE is good as it hasn't been rolled out completely (from what I've read, a few cities got it just earlier this year apparently?). Therefore, Canadians are reporting HSPA speeds that are faster than the LTE speeds they are getting.
    Last edited by whatchamacallitss; 04-21-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    04-21-2014 12:06 PM
    The box that my 938 came in lists:

LTE 700/850/1700/1900/2600, although that seems to be missing the 2100 that has to be there for it to be showing LTE on T-Mobile right now, so who the heck knows what it'll really do, but it does purport to have the 2600 band.
    04-21-2014 06:38 PM
37 12