App recommendations for new WP user?

soy_corriendo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I will be receiving a Nokia Lumia 1520 tomorrow. I am upgrading from the Galaxy S3. I would like to know any tips or apps to download from the marketplace. I'm a senior in high school and I will be going to college in the fall. I just need some advice because I'm really excited about switching to Windows Phone.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the WP ecosystem ;D

At first I would recommend installing AppSwitch (AppSwitch | Windows Phone Anwendungen + Spiele Store (Deutschland)) where you can search for the apps you used with Android and get suggestions for alternative apps in the WP Store or even find the same app.

Other suggestions:
WPCentral (must-have for all the news, tips, and reviews)
Weave News Reader
Weather, Health & Fitness, News ... from Microsoft (search for Bing in the Store ;)
Tweet It! (Twitter)
Super Calendar
OneNote
Office Lens (should be awesome for your studies)
Metrotube (YouTube)
Messenger (Facebook Messenger)

Also be sure to check out (all) the apps in the Store's Nokia collection!!!

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
6tag for instagram
6sec for vine or official vine app
6snap for snapchat

chronos for calendar (personal preference)
whatsapp
there are 3 facebook related apps: facebook, facebook beta (gets features earlier) and messenger (messenger in facebook as a standalone app)
phonly - great news aggregator
poki - great pocket app for offline reading
tapatalk - to stay on top of forums

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Welcome soy!
Great 1520 community here...as you can see from gerzhwins suggestions.
I'm sure many more will be along to help.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I like the above selections but I use simple calendar so you might at it and look at the other calendar suggestions

chrisnx

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I have also a question: I got my Lumia 1520 today and I love ❤ it really.
But since I installed preview of WP 8.1 I don't get my three buttons illuminated. Is this normal? I say it that sucks. :/

daredevildan

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But since I installed preview of WP 8.1 I don't get my three buttons illuminated. Is this normal? I say it that sucks. :/

Any particular time? When I wake my phone or hit the capacitive buttons they still light up for me on 8.1.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations. I also have another question. Is there a reason why my phone is dying quickly? I'm not on it all of the time.

If you're 1520 has no defects, it should be running with a beastly battery life! Don't completely drain the battery. Have you also applied topping?

In my case before, there was an app that drains my battery life greatly. It's Viber. I removed it and my battery life was back to being lengthy.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Shouldn't be normal, those should always be on at least they were for my 1520.

chrisnx

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Any particular time? When I wake my phone or hit the capacitive buttons they still light up for me on 8.1.
Always, but I found a solution and it's really annoying.
I used the whole time battery saver. Now I have disabled this feature and my buttons are lit. Or aare your buttons always lit?
Thanks
Chris

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I used the whole time battery saver. Now I have disabled this feature and my buttons are lit. Or aare your buttons always lit?
Thanks
Chris
My 8X's buttons aren't lit while the screen is turned off. Using battery saver all the time or untill next charge (not just when battery is low) will disable the button's lighting. Also the automatic brightness settings controls the buttons, so if there's enough light around you, the buttons won't be lit, as there's no need to.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro