Not entirely happy

Teague Kelley

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the 1520 on wp 8.1. The bugs are crazy. And it's expected. Problems so far, wifi cuts off randomly. Power button won't work. Me tile won't post to all my social media apps.

Teague Kelley

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I had a problem with the power button issue once before the update but after that I quickly updated to the 8.1.

Hard reset will... Reset it to wp8 or keep it at wp8.1? I don't want to lose my apps and such

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
You can go back to WP 8. There are alot of inconsistencies. I haven't had problems, but others have. You can do a hard reset, but you will lose all apps. With that said, you can download them again without cost. Sorry to hear you are having problems. I hope the gates reset works out because 8.1 is awesome.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
basically think this as a beta program :/ it's not the final build...there'll be bugs with it :)
You know what pisses me off, the fact that basically everyone was shouting that this is the final version of 8.1, that everyone should install it, and now that there are bugs in it - in a developer preview! - people are suddenly changing their opinion on this stuff.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
You should have asked on the thread.... And i guess there was an article about the DP on WPC.The final build won't be available until next month or the month after that! We never know!
But basically updating to 8.1 was your choice! Should have done your homework!
If this was the final build why would you have to go through all the pain like installing preview for developers! Or signing up for an account!
Please.... Wait for a while 😊.... This is not at all the final build.... The final build will not have bugs with it...

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Me tile won't post to all my social media apps.

I think MS removed some integration in the ME tile, so I don't think that is a bug, but a mistake on MS part. Hope they put it back. Actually I can post to FB, twitter and Linkden, but not all at one, and it just goes to the app now.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You know what pisses me off, the fact that basically everyone was shouting that this is the final version of 8.1, that everyone should install it, and now that there are bugs in it - in a developer preview! - people are suddenly changing their opinion on this stuff.

The initial claims were maybe not as clear as they should have been, but they were not wrong. WP8.1 is not beta software. What MS terms as the beta phase ended months ago. In that sense you were not misguided, but the issue deserves further explanation:

The developer preview is the "final" version, or at least MS intended it to be (apparently at least one show stopping bug that prevents installation on some models will be patched, but any such modifications will be limited, very specific, small, under-the-hood changes). Still, the fact that the OS is essentially complete, doesn't mean your device is complete:

• backend services like Cortana don't run on the phone. That means the important parts of Cortana aren't part of the OS. The same is true for all of MS' backend services like OneDrive or Bing. All of them can and will change somewhat during the next few weeks. This will impact your user experience, but it requires no changes to the OS.
  • The firmware on our devices is built for WP8.0. This part of our devices isn't even beta software. It's just downright faulty (on some models more so than on others), because it doesn't always behave in the way WP8.1 expects. Some of the model specific issues (i.e. the camera no longer working) are attributable to this mismatch. Firmware updates will impact your user experience, but it requires no changes to the OS.
  • Some of the biggest problems are related to Xbox music. This was previously shipped together with the OS, but no longer is. Changes to such apps will impact your user experience, but it requires no changes to the OS.

The point is, the OS can be final, yet your device may still exhibit a lot of problems if the surrounding puzzle pieces don't match. That is the situation we currently have. For a developer it makes sense to say the OS is "final" in this state (or at least feature complete and tested), even when the rest isn't. End users don't make that distinction. For end users software is final only when the entire package works as intended. Both developers and end users are correct, because they have different points of view.

Further complicating matters is the fact that we don't yet have a lot of experience with these developer previews. With GDR3 we experienced very few problems. Larger updates are apparently more likely to result in mismatching puzzle pieces (similar to how Vista introduced a lot of changes and mismatching puzzle pieces).

In summary:

MS intends for the developer preview to be the final version of the OS that is distributed via carriers (but under-the-hood changes may be made if MS is forced to). Going forward, we need to be clearer that the OS being "final" doesn't guarantee it will work as intended. Larger updates are more likely to be problematic, while smaller updates may work perfectly. It's up to the first people installing the developer preview to decide if they want to take that risk.

Last edited:

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
You should have asked on the thread.... And i guess there was an article about the DP on WPC.The final build won't be available until next month or the month after that! We never know!
But basically updating to 8.1 was your choice! Should have done your homework!
If this was the final build why would you have to go through all the pain like installing preview for developers! Or signing up for an account!
Please.... Wait for a while ��.... This is not at all the final build.... The final build will not have bugs with it...

Might have been best if you'd checked before posting that.

All you need to know about the Windows Phone 8.1 'Preview for Developers' | Windows Phone Central

As a5cent has said WP8.1 as delivered through the Preview for Developers is the Final OS version and will be indistinguishable from the version that gets distributed with the official updates in a few months time. It is Not a beta. The official updates though will contain an updated firmware also, specific to your device.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Might have been best if you'd checked before posting that.

All you need to know about the Windows Phone 8.1 'Preview for Developers' | Windows Phone Central

As a5cent has said WP8.1 as delivered through the Preview for Developers is the Final OS version and will be indistinguishable from the version that gets distributed with the official updates in a few months time. It is Not a beta. The official updates though will contain an updated firmware also, specific to your device.

I just said "think" of it as a beta! And let me remind you.... There are still some options which are not available to us like usb settings! Which is shown by Cortana but not displayed in the settings! So this is not the final build as you can see it still has some bugs..... Which would most probably be cleared with the official update!
And i did read the article before!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I just said "think" of it as a beta!

Considering how many non-developers use the developer preview, it might actually be smarter to call it a "developer beta" (despite not being a beta), just to get expectations more in-line with reality ;-)

There are still some options which are not available to us like usb settings! Which is shown by Cortana but not displayed in the settings!

And where would you expect those parts of the software that interface directly with the hardware, like USB settings, to reside? Possibly in the firmware? ;-)

Anyway, don't think you need to be sorry for anything. That the preview is a beta is common-non-knowledge at this point. It's probably too late to turn that misconception around, so no matter what you might have said, you couldn't have "wrecked" anything that wasn't already wrecked. ;-)

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Considering how many non-developers use the developer preview, it might actually be smarter to call it a "developer beta" (despite not being a beta), just to get expectations more in-line with reality ;-)

And where would you expect those parts of the software that interface directly with the hardware, like USB settings, to reside? Possibly in the firmware? ;-)

Anyway, don't think you need to be sorry for anything.
Sure the firmware i totally forgot about it lol!! I'm having no problem whatsoever in any of my phones with the 8.1 :/ which is weird since many people are complaining about it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion