Really bad screen burn and my backlight has broken on my Lumia 1520

senior800

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I've got the following problem and am wandering if anyone has had a similar problem and if there is any way to cure it? I've done a search and can't find anything.

I bought my 1520 a couple of weeks ago. It was perfect till last night when the colours went off like in the pictures below. I reset the phone and it was fine till until they went again 5 minutes later (I was browsing the internet at the time) and I can't recover the phone.

Everything has 'greyed out' and stuff is randomly being burnt into the black/white background. If there is something loaded in front of the background there is no screen burn, and when you reset the phone, the background also resets.

WP_20140426_22_43_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20140426_22_43_53_Pro.jpg

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I've got the 1520 and never experienced that short of thing!

Are you using the developer preview of 8.1?

The preview can cause graphical glitches, though they are generally not permanent, and a reset sorts out most oddities.

I would suggest a hard reset, wiping all data off the device, and try it out.

Otherwise I'd contract the place you got it - there might be a major fault...

Sorry to hear your brand new device is giving you grief. Apart from when I've installed the preview, I've found the 1520 tho be a solid performer.

It should be that way for you.

Good luck, I hope you get this sorted out!

senior800

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I've got the 1520 and never experienced that short of thing!

Are you using the developer preview of 8.1?

The preview can cause graphical glitches, though they are generally not permanent, and a reset sorts out most oddities.

I would suggest a hard reset, wiping all data off the device, and try it out.

Otherwise I'd contract the place you got it - there might be a major fault...

Sorry to hear your brand new device is giving you grief. Apart from when I've installed the preview, I've found the 1520 tho be a solid performer.

It should be that way for you.

Good luck, I hope you get this sorted out!

Thanks for the response!

The phones on 8.1 yes. I also bought it from a private seller on eBay (was new) so between those two, not sure I have any warranty.

I find the colours invert sometimes, but only stay like this for a couple of seconds and then revert to normal.

Will try the hard reset now (I hate doing these - takes so long to reconfigure! :) )

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
If in doubt contact Nokia for assistance - you may find the manufacturer warranty intact.

Also, you may have consumer protection from ebay, PayPal and you credit card!

The phone may be a dud sold as new, you never know...

Though the first thing is to establish if it is the hardware or software...

I believe you can downgrade the firmware back to 8.0 - though a plain, that might be an option. At least you would know it was the hardware or not!

senior800

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well the hard reset hasn't helped:

WP_20140427.jpg

I'll give Nokia a call tomorrow. Even if I can get something back from the seller I don't think it would be morally correct, so won't. It worked fine for 2 weeks, so unlikely they would have experienced it before.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The only other thing you could try is reverting back to 8.0

Also don't mention eBay to Nokia, tell them it was a birthday present or something.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
well if you bought it on ebay only a couple of weeks ago and its a RM-937 and you are from US you will not have warranty in the US, you will have to ship it to the respective country(which ever country the RM 937 is intended for). First check if the return time limit of your purchase and return if it is within that time. Also in US and Canada you can purchase a Square trade warranty within 30 days of the purchase, check that in your purchase history and add it. You'll get validity for 2 Years. It may come close to 70-80$. can you revert back to Lumia Black? If not you may have wait till Nokia releases the Cyan firmware and then send it for repairs coz I am not sure if warranty can cover a device on the developer's preview.

senior800

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all.

It's a Hong Kong RM-937 (bought it hoping it was an unwanted upgrade as it's a private seller, but sadly not.) (I'm in the UK)

I'll give Nokia a ring tomorrow and see what they say. I also get phone insurance included with my bank account, so that is the second option with just a ?25 excess. Third option is the square trade warranty like you say. It's ?59 in Britain, and says you can purchase within 30 days.

Really not looking forward to sending it away however, as I don't have another device which will take my nano sim.

I've been using it all day and the phone is perfectly useful. It's just terrible for any picture/video based task.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs