Thinking of 1520...

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Have an upgrade available with AT&T...not sure about the 1520 the phone is huge! Currently have the 920...works perfectly fine for...not sure if I want to make the jump or not...any convincing opinions out there?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If your 920 is working fine and you are unsure about the 1520, you could wait until AT&T has another new device available.

I waited 11 months to upgrade once, since I did not like anything available while I was eligible for an upgrade. I am currently eligible for an upgrade, but I'm waiting since the 1520 is too big for me.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I just jumped to a 1520 from a 920 myself. But if my only option was the AT&T version, I'm not sure if I would have done it. I went with the unlocked international 32gb version with built-in Qi.

But all things being equal as far as the 1520 is concerned, it's a choice you have to make yourself.

Positives:

Better display - bigger screen, better viewing angles, more immediately viewable tiles
microSD support
Speed - Everything is faster on this phone, even though the 920 is plenty snappy. Internet Explorer is much more of a pleasure to use on the 1520 (browsing history loads much, much faster for eg.)
Thinner and a bit sleeker than the 920
Battery life - I switched to an unlimited LTE plan to take full advantage of streaming video and audio wherever I am. I don't want a phone whose battery won't last the day for me if I decided to stream a bunch of video on that given day. The 920's battery life is fine, but this thing is an absolute beast when it comes to multimedia. I streamed about 20 minutes of video and 10 minutes of audio today and installed a bunch of apps (since the phone is still new)... it's lasted me all day so far on a single charge.

Negatives:

Carrying/Holding - but it's not as bad as you'd think. Obviously carrying the 920 is a little easier, but I wear slim jeans and the phone fits just fine in my pocket, and there's no discomfort when sitting down. You get used to it fast.
One-handability - It's tougher using this phone with one hand. You learn to manage though.
Swipe/tap/scroll issue - This is the only bug that seems to be common. Who knows, you may not have it, but just be prepared to live with it if your phone does. This has been discussed ad nauseam, so just read around the forum if you're not familiar with it.
Wireless charging? - This didn't apply to me because of the 1520 variant I bought, but if you enjoy the convenience of Qi and have any investment in Qi accessories, you'll have to do without them when you upgrade to AT&T's 1520 variant.

I'm happy with the switch so far, but this is just my second day with it, so it's a bit too early for a verdict. Only thing bothering me at all is that occasional swipe/tap issue. There was a recent update to the touch app though so I'll see if I notice any difference. Some say it's a bit better, others say no difference. Also, if you can do without Glance, there does seem to be a trick that involves uninstalling both it and the Touch app. That seems to completely remedy the swipe/tap issue.

Another thing to consider... you might have to wait until the holidays or even early next year for a different WP flagship that you'd want to upgrade to. The Lumia 930 (next flagship coming up the pike) doesn't appear to be headed for AT&T. It has the same internal specs as the 1520 anyway, minus Glance and microSD support. If you know for certain that you don't want to wait til the holidays or later, then the 1520 makes immediate sense without having to consider everything else I mentioned. My 920 was working perfectly, but I had it since launch in November 2012 and was just bored of it.

Last edited:

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
If your 920 is working fine and you are unsure about the 1520, you could wait until AT&T has another new device available.

I waited 11 months to upgrade once, since I did not like anything available while I was eligible for an upgrade. I am currently eligible for an upgrade, but I'm waiting since the 1520 is too big for me.

Indeed, keep the 920, and later in the year they'll make an upgraded versions. When the next batch of phones come out you may be able to get a 1520 for pretty cheap without having to sacrifice the upgrade(then use it if the 1520 doesn't fit your needs).

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the opinions...yeah I am kind of curious as to what's coming this year...the 930 looks amazing...I may just wait. I'm trying very hard not to be an impulse buyer! I do a lot of web browsing, I read a lot...(dropping Amazon Prime after this year due to pricing increase) so my Kindle is null and void, I use Office for WP a ton at work, maybe this phone will be right for me...hell it's not even an upgrade it's the 12/18 plan fro AT&T I decrease my phone bill $40 only to spend it on a phone...FML.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you gone to an AT&T store and actually handled it? I too had some concerns about the 1520 size but after playing with one for a while I decided to get it and haven't regretted the my decision. You currently have a great phone and you have nothing to lose by waiting. You're actually in a no lose situation. Good Luck!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have and I did like it. Maybe next week...

Have had the Lumia 1520 for about 3 months.

It was too big, for about a week, now feels right sized. My wife has my old Lumia 920, when I pick it up, it feels so small. My eyes aren't what they used to be, the screen size is great, for me. One handed is a trial, but, I put a case (black ribbed w holster) on my Red Lumia 1520 - this makes handling a lot easier (slippery bugger). The screen vibrancy, the camera, surfing the web on a 6" screen, etc - did I mention the camera !

I have Dev Preview WinPhone 8.1 loaded. After about 3 days, it calmed down, battery usage is approx. 5% hour, with everything I want running. Battery before was a tad better, always made it thru the day.

Don't know what you're going to do ... I wanted a phablet & it's the best spec'd Windows Phone out there (I'm on AT&T, Icon not available, I have other niggling little issues w the Icon). I was in your shoes, thought it was a tad BIG. Hold it to your face, it's big but very usable, open the browser, view a website, slide it in your pocket (back or front) it fits - though I use a holster sometimes, clipped to my side.

BTW: I bought mine (AT&T version) on eBay for $425 - MS store has it for $549, there are 5% off coupons floating around. (check the link) and Microsoft stores are giving away FREE phones, today, in store.

Reveal the Deal

Price on AT&T is $585. If you go the web route, do your due diligence re: seller. Unlocked my phone, a week ago, requested & received the unlock code from AT&T. Though, I do miss the QI wireless charging w the AT&T variant. My wife now has my old wireless charger for her Lumia 920.

Good Luck w your decision.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Have an upgrade available with AT&T...not sure about the 1520 the phone is huge! Currently have the 920...works perfectly fine for...not sure if I want to make the jump or not...any convincing opinions out there?

Before you do the upgrade to the total rip-off called the Next Plan. Do the developer update on your 920. Then a factory reset right after. It will become a new phone again. After you play with the 8.1, then if you want a larger one, then pick it up. But give 8.1 a month. (Save some cash during that time) With 8.1 on the 1520, you don't even have to bother with the 32GB model, just get a #morecolorful 16GB and upgrade to 8.1, invest in a good sd card instead...

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I've got the 8.1 update...enjoying it...but a ton of bugs, obviously. That's the plan 16gb and a 64gb card...we shall see. Overall the Next Plan is an installment payment to make it yours rather than paying it all upfront. I don't have an extra $585 lying around...buying a house soon, daughters summer camp...etc...etc. I love my 920 but as with anything once the chains are broken I need to get myself stuck again. I really would LOVE the 930...hopefully it will be on AT&T eventually...if not I'm sure come November we will see some great new phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster