Text message backup causing corruption

mikecferrara

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have run into an extremely frustrating problem that is related to the messaging app and cloud backup for text messages. I don't know if this is a Microsoft problem, a Nokia problem or both. I've scoured the internet for this issue, I've done two master restores, and I'm about to get a warranty replacement to see if that is in play as well.

Here is the problem:

I originally had cloud backup for text messages turned on with my first Lumia 1520. I ran into a major hardware issue with that device with the bing/back button activating randomly, so I received a warranty replacement. I restored the warranty replacement with my cloud backup, and everything seemed fine. Within two days, I couldn't open the text messaging app anymore, and I couldn't send/receive texts properly. Click on the messaging app, it immediately shuts down. Open it again, it will now open, but you are unable to see new text messages or send any. I know I'm receiving texts, because I can hear the vibrate when someone sends it to me, but it doesn't display on screen. Here's the trippy part. If I try to disable saving text messages to the cloud, it will show that it's turned off, but when I go back into that menu, it's been re-enabled. It doesn't matter how many times you turn off that function, the phone will immediately turn it back on. Furthermore, if I select all text messages at once to try to delete them from the cloud backup, it will show them deleted initially. But when you re-launch the text messaging app, they are all right back where they were.

So this leads me to believe that there is corruption in the text message backup, and that the OS doesn't know how to handle it. My first attempt to try to fix it was met with mild success. I did a master reset and once my backed up messages started being restored, I immediately started deleting them all. All seemed well for a couple of days, but then the problem has come right back, as I still have text message backup turned on. I figured that if I deleted most of the older text messages, it would have gotten the corrupted one. Oh and I get the 0x80181548 backup error if I try to manually backup app list+settings. Not sure if that's because of the text message issue or what, but it works initially and I can restore my phone, but then I start getting strange behavior.

So I'm thinking my only option is to restore again and either shut off backup text message completely or try to delete them all again, OR rebuild my phone my scratch without restore just to make sure. I'm disappointed if I have to do the latter, because what's the point of cloud backup if it corrupts your phone? Anyone else experience something like this? I feel like this is such a fringe issue that no one has ever seen, as I can't find anything on the internets. I'd like to be able to use cloud backup again, but I'm jaded now because I've had so much trouble with it. Constantly restoring your phone is a royal pain. Can't believe Microsoft has such a shoddy cloud backup system.

Thanks in advance.

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Turn off the backup sync for text messages and grab a computer.
Try going and sign in to your Microsoft account and delete the back up texts within the email that's associated with your Microsoft account.
This problem occurs when their is a sync error on both the client side and MS side of their servers.

Hopefully this fixes your issue!

mikecferrara

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Well as I mentioned, it's impossible to shut off backup for text messages. I refuses to turn off, which is why I was having the problem. Furthermore, I don't think it's possible to see the backed up texts from the Microsoft account. The only thing you can see in OneDrive is your device backup. Unless I'm wrong, where do you see backup texts in the Microsoft account?

Either way I ended up doing a hard reset on my phone and choosing to not restore from a backup. I completely restarted from scratch and used WindowsPhone.com to push apps back to my device. So far so good, but I am not turning on text message backups anymore. I'm afraid that if I turn them back on, my device will be loaded with the corrupt texts again. I really wish there was a way to get rid of these from my account. I wonder if I can open a request with Microsoft on that.

jeiiel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Turn off the backup sync for text messages and grab a computer.
Try going and sign in to your Microsoft account and delete the back up texts within the email that's associated with your Microsoft account.
This problem occurs when their is a sync error on both the client side and MS side of their servers.

Hopefully this fixes your issue!

How do you delete the messages in your account??

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I haven't done the delete messages in a while and it seems Microsoft removed the delete messages feature (security reasons) to prevent stuff like this from happening. You can try and delete the device backup and see if that works. Sorry for the confusion.

I think Microsoft can aid you with that, id open that request with Microsoft.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well as I mentioned, it's impossible to shut off backup for text messages. I refuses to turn off, which is why I was having the problem. Furthermore, I don't think it's possible to see the backed up texts from the Microsoft account. The only thing you can see in OneDrive is your device backup. Unless I'm wrong, where do you see backup texts in the Microsoft account?

Either way I ended up doing a hard reset on my phone and choosing to not restore from a backup. I completely restarted from scratch and used WindowsPhone.com to push apps back to my device. So far so good, but I am not turning on text message backups anymore. I'm afraid that if I turn them back on, my device will be loaded with the corrupt texts again. I really wish there was a way to get rid of these from my account. I wonder if I can open a request with Microsoft on that.

Are you on 8.1?

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
If they are not able to help, id upgrade to WP8.1 to see if it remedies the issue. My friend had this issue yesterday on his 822 and he upgraded to 8.1 it fixed his issue with syncing.

Last edited:

mikecferrara

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
And this person is now using the cloud backup without any issue? I may just wait until 8.1 RTMs, and then try turning it back on. I don't think I can stomach another hard reset if it screws up again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro