Frame drops in some games

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I am finding a new issue on my Lumia 1520 after the 8.1 update of some of the heavy games (Modern Combat, N.O.V.A 3, etc..) having frame drops and lagging while playing.

The thing is when I do a soft reset, and run any of those games it gets back to normal, but then when I run them some other times I don't know what happens, they lag, and I can't figure out what is causing this!

BTW I never have anything running in the background, I close every app I use, and I limited the apps running in the background to the ones I need only.

Any thoughts on this?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I dont play games but I have noticed lag while playing asphalt 8 on my Lumia 920(wp8.1 dev preview ). I managed to solve it by disabling nfc,Bluetooth,WiFi and data connection.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Asphalt 8 & Nova 3 runs fine on my device even with data connection on. So is there any chance you might have installed your games in a slower SD card? (Below class 10)

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I dont play games but I have noticed lag while playing asphalt 8 on my Lumia 920(wp8.1 dev preview ). I managed to solve it by disabling nfc,Bluetooth,WiFi and data connection.
I tried putting my phone to airplane mode, and I even turned the battery saver on, still lagging, now if I do a soft reset it will get back to normal. This is just killing me!

unknow91

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
You're not alone dude! First I thought it was the SD Card (Sandisk Class 10) but Asphalt 8 was installed on the device and not the card! My bet? Firmware or some weird thing happening in the OS

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You're not alone dude! First I thought it was the SD Card (Sandisk Class 10) but Asphalt 8 was installed on the device and not the card! My bet? Firmware or some weird thing happening in the OS

Well, it's good to know that I am not alone, though it isn't good by any means. I was afraid that I had a hardware failure of some kind.

Is there anyone else with similar issues ?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
so I was playing asphalt 8 today during class time , I locked my phone after 10-25 min I unlocked my phone and the game was having frame drop issues , I tried it with other games and YES I have this issue :sad:

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
so I was playing asphalt 8 today during class time , I locked my phone after 10-25 min I unlocked my phone and the game was having frame drop issues , I tried it with other games and YES I have this issue :sad:

You never know when it's gonna happen or why, I am hoping that someone up there acknowledged the existence of this issue, or we are screwd.

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I am finding a new issue on my Lumia 1520 after the 8.1 update of some of the heavy games (Modern Combat, N.O.V.A 3, etc..) having frame drops and lagging while playing.

The thing is when I do a soft reset, and run any of those games it gets back to normal, but then when I run them some other times I don't know what happens, they lag, and I can't figure out what is causing this!

BTW I never have anything running in the background, I close every app I use, and I limited the apps running in the background to the ones I need only.

Any thoughts on this?
You are running a Beta update, you know? Kernel and firmware will be updated again before carriers roll out their updates. You'll have to make do until then. And yes, I'm running 8.1 and have the same issues (and I use a Moga Power Pro controller connected via BT to play Asphalt 8.)

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You are running a Beta update, you know? Kernel and firmware will be updated again before carriers roll out their updates. You'll have to make do until then. And yes, I'm running 8.1 and have the same issues (and I use a Moga Power Pro controller connected via BT to play Asphalt 8.)

Yes, I understand we aren't running a final version of the software, but such things need to be documented, as the final version of software could ship without this being fixed. So I guess it's important to report these issues so they can fix them.

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I understand we aren't running a final version of the software, but such things need to be documented, as the final version of software could ship without this being fixed. So I guess it's important to report these issues so they can fix them.

Gameloft may also be the culprit. They only recently got the 8.1 SDK, so they may be able to clear up some of the issues as well from their end.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Gameloft may also be the culprit. They only recently got the 8.1 SDK, so they may be able to clear up some of the issues as well from their end.

No it's not Gameloft, as this happens in multiple games too, like Angry Birds Go for instance. Also, it happens outside of games as well: (try this when your games are lagging) go to your start screen, pull down the notifications hub and keep holding the colored end of it, now while holding it swipe up and down fast for 10 secs, it should appear lagging as well. Of course this only happens when my games start to lag, not always.

Ahmed El Hefnawy

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I think I found the main cause for this problem.

I turned off background tasks for my battery apps like Battery and Battery performance two days ago (Yes I was using both of them at the same time).

I didn't face the frame dropping problem anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital