1520 or 930

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am tired of waiting for 930. I do like the 5 inch form factor and I think 32 gigs + cloud storage should be enough for regular usage.
I am curious to know how big is 1520 compared to note 2 or note 3? Is it pocketable? Will It look ridiculous sticking that thing to my ears?
930/ icon battery is another concern as there are contradictory reviews for the same.
I will be mostly using my cell for emails, social apps, pics (of my 2 year old kid) and sometimes navigation.
I currently use a note 2..

Looking forward to hear from 1520 owners.
:)

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have been back and forth on this L1520 thing a million times, and working on my second million.

In relation to the Note 3- it is wider, though about the same length. If you can handle any of the Note series, you can handle this. A better comparison is the Samsung Mega 6.4.

As far as phone calls- yeah, that is the thing. I use my phone a ton for an actual phone. I am not concerned how it looks, but it is uncomfortable to hold on the side of your face. A bluetooth becomes important if that is true for you as well.

Otherwise, it is an amazing device that is as future proof of any device on the market today. I wish the L930 was out there, and may pick up a cheap L920 to tie me over for a year if ultimately decide to wait. (I have to retire my L900. It is time. I am missing too many WP8 goodies.) But the L1520 is a gorgeous, powerful, and generally awesome on every level WP that is worth every penny if a monster phone is something you can adjust to.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I'm another Nokia Lumia 1520 user.

This is really bigger than the Note 3. It is still pocketable, considering I have a thin waistline for my age and height. I don't think it looks ridiculous; I usually receive comments of wonder and amazement from people who were surprised by its size.

Its battery life is VERY good; I promise you that as long as the unit that you get is not defective. I am a heavy user compared to you and it lasts a day for me with even 50+% left with mobile data or WiFi always on and double tap to wake feature also always on.

If you have large hands or you are like me who's stretching his fingers a lot for things like playing the guitar or typing, then it'll be more convenient for you to use the 1520.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Only issue for me is the same thing many people have... occasional screen swipe/tap sensitivity bug.

It is pocketable. I'm sure if you do a search you can find what myself and others have said about pocketability. I wear slim jeans and I have no problem fitting this in my front pocket, even while sitting down.

As for phone calls... I don't feel ridiculous holding it up to my head, but even if you do... the good news is the speaker quality on this phone seems to be phenomenal so far. I'm almost always using speakerphone for calls and I've asked everyone how I sound on it, and all I get is comments like "very clear." Their sound comes through very loud and clear to me as well.

Aside from the size, the thing that has stood out to me most is battery life. I get 2 full days of battery easily with several apps running in the background.

I think a phone size between this and the 930 (about 5.5" display maybe) would be ideal, but I was forced to choose between one or the other just like you, and went with the 1520. I didn't like the 930's design so much, but the main reason I didn't choose it is no Glance screen support. I've gotten too used to its convenience.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Only issue for me is the same thing many people have... occasional screen swipe/tap sensitivity bug.

Well, mine's not suffering from those issues. But I agree with the positive comments you've mentioned.

PS. Word suggestion in keyboard is really great! :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
If you live in the United States the 930 isn't an option because it won't be released here. I love my 1520 and size hasn't been a problem for me. The best advice I can suggest is to get your hands on one and see how it feels. If you decide that the size isn't an issue you won't regret owning one.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. 1520 with bigger battery, sd card support, glance etc sounds a better deal than 930. Bluetooth headset could solve the size issues while taking calls :)

By the way, any suggestions what color should I choose?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
You also have to consider the looks.. With a slimmer body and sharper edges, 1520 wins hands down.. Well at least to me :D

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I traded my Note II in on my 1520.
I had the Sedieo case on it. It's a little bigger,but manageable completely.

Texting takes 2 hands,and holding up to your ears to talk is about the same as the Note. Bluetooth headset is a must imho and voice to text helps.

Black is less obvious than the other colors.

I use the. PDair belt holster and it works great and rides close to the body so it works well under a suit coat or jacket.

I can say this I'm really happy I traded my Note in on this phone.Almost every day there is something new coming out for it.

Plan on spending some money on your apps, while they have a good amount free, they also have some great ones that cost..and I'll pay the buck to loose the adds and help the developers out too..

I think you're going to really like it,so...Good luck

Mac

Sayyid Shoaib

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in the same boat currently have a Nokia Lumia 920. Came from Galaxy Note 2 so I am looking at the 1520 as size is bigger is better for me (I tend to read a lot of pdf books). Just hope price drops by the end of the Year and get a good colour. The Pros Ive seen going for this for me is the large screen estate, battery life, memory slot up to 64gb and future proof for updates (maybe WP9 and beyond). I would love to have it in a green shade if that ever came out!

Any else to suggest on the 1520 over the rest of the Lumia family!

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you got the cash, the "Unicorn" Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (RM-938) is what to buy, Qi charging, 32GB in different colors besides black. Works on all the US bands and international bands...

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in the same boat currently have a Nokia Lumia 920. Came from Galaxy Note 2 so I am looking at the 1520 as size is bigger is better for me (I tend to read a lot of pdf books). Just hope price drops by the end of the Year and get a good colour. The Pros Ive seen going for this for me is the large screen estate, battery life, memory slot up to 64gb and future proof for updates (maybe WP9 and beyond). I would love to have it in a green shade if that ever came out!

Any else to suggest on the 1520 over the rest of the Lumia family!

Lumias can support microSD with sizes up to 128 GB!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have been back and forth on this L1520 thing a million times, and working on my second million.

In relation to the Note 3- it is wider, though about the same length. If you can handle any of the Note series, you can handle this. A better comparison is the Samsung Mega 6.4.

Actually the Mega is 6.3. And a better comparison might be the LGFlex and The HTC One Maxx which are both 6" screened devices, the same as the 1520

As far as phone calls- yeah, that is the thing. I use my phone a ton for an actual phone. I am not concerned how it looks, but it is uncomfortable to hold on the side of your face. A bluetooth becomes important if that is true for you as well.

Otherwise, it is an amazing device that is as future proof of any device on the market today. I wish the L930 was out there, and may pick up a cheap L920 to tie me over for a year if ultimately decide to wait. (I have to retire my L900. It is time. I am missing too many WP8 goodies.) But the L1520 is a gorgeous, powerful, and generally awesome on every level WP that is worth every penny if a monster phone is something you can adjust to.

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
The battery on the 1520 is brilliant. I'm currently using approx 25% per day. The screen is gorgeous, it's well made and feels great in the hand. Barring the 1020 the camera is the best you can get. I agree with the comment made earlier, the perfect screen size for me would be 5.5-5.7 inches, having said that I love the phone. Only downside is the occasional swipe/tap bug.

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm having the same predicament as to whether to go back to the 1520 or wait for the 930 which should be out in a month or two. Long story short. I had a 1520 way back in Dec last year. I had used it for a couple of weeks & I sold it. I have a 1020 too. The main reason I sold the phone is because I find it too big & cumbersome to use. I have no issues carrying the phone in my side pockets. Is when I want to retrieve the phone out of my pocket & I have to somewhat stretch out a bit. Is not butter smooth to retrieve it as the girth of the phone does get in the way. Also when you seat down you do feel there is a big slab inside the pocket & the weight is quite obvious too. A 5.7-5.8" screen size would be ideal. Also this is a two handed phone unlike the 1020. They could have used a better protection screen like the Gorilla 3 & not the 2 as I have heard of screen breaking easily when it falls. Even the 1020 which was launched earlier uses a Gorilla 3 screen & so is the 930. Using Nano SIM card on both 1520 & 930 is another big put off. Apart from that the phone is superb in every way. The best part is the batt. Is beats the 1020 hands down. Camera is better than a lot of smart phones out there but not as good as the camera king 1020. I have a look at the specs of the 930 which is basically the same as the ICON. Fair enough it has a better CPU & ppi than the 1020, bigger batt capacity, half an inch bigger display & is not much of a game changer IMHO. Inferior camera, no external storage & glance. Unlike Android phones which are power hungry as the OS is just not as optimised as the WIndow OS. The best part I like about Lumia phones is their Clear Black screen display. I just love the dark black background & is so easy on my ageing eyes. So the 930 could well be the last flagship WP to carry the "Nokia" name. Yes Window OS has improved by leaps & bounds from WP7 - WP7.5 - WP8 & now WP8.1. I have used the Lumia 800, 820 & 720 before getting my 1020 & still keeping it. Having said all these I'm still not sure if I want to go back to the 1520 again or just stick to my 1020 which happens to have the best camera onboard. Changing to a 930 from a 1020 does not make much sense to me but then again you never know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa