Shattered 1520 screen. Replacement help?

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I just dropped mine on a gravel road and totally shattered the front glass. Everything else works fine, I have no insurance with att. What are my options to have it repaired?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/asg9000/temporary.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/asg9000/temporary-1.jpg

Wow that's so sad.. well depending where you live you find a screen replace place. In most malls there is a kiosk every 100ft doing that. Some radio shacks do screen repairs now. Or go on eBay and buy screen replacement yourself or bite the bullet send it to nokia

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Wow that's so sad.. well depending where you live you find a screen replace place. In most malls there is a kiosk every 100ft doing that. Some radio shacks do screen repairs now. Or go on eBay and buy screen replacement yourself or bite the bullet send it to nokia
Yeah, I'm going to send it to Nokia's recommended repair shop, Palco. It looks like it will cost $219. (it really hurts considering that I only paid $49 for the phone through Amazon on a two year contract)

Devhammer

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, just shattered my screen today (after only two days with my 1520).

If you still need to use your phone (and the digitizer still works), here's what I did:

1. Dust off any loose pieces of glass.
  2. Get some clear mailing/packing tape, and carefully place two overlapping layers on the screen, covering the glass and a little bit over the edges.
This will help prevent cuts and further deterioration of the screen while you're waiting to send it in for repair.
I'm probably going to go the Palco route as well, unless the place I bought it from is willing to replace it (not holding my breath, but I'm going to ask at least, as soon as their customer service dept. is open again).

BTW - I'll add my vote to those above recommending AGAINST folks trying to repair the glass themselves. I did a screen replacement on my Lumia 900, and it was a piece of cake (replaced the entire glass/digitizer/LCD assembly). I looked at several videos of disassembling the 1520, and it appears to be orders of magnitude more complex, with several fragile-looking pieces to remove. I can't even imagine being able to remove all the bits of shattered glass from the LCD without damaging it. The cheapest price I saw for a digitizer/LCD assembly for the 1520 was around $170 on ebay. So if Palco is charging $220 for replacing the assembly, including return shipping, that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Last edited:

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I recently received my repaired phone from Palco... they did a very good job with the screen/digitzer replacement, and also apparently had to replace the back case for some reason. Mine had some scratches on the rear glass over the camera and the back cover was slightly scuffed. Both are now brand new and free of scratches. One thing, however, is that the volume rocker buttons are much closer to the case now, so that they are basically flush and cannot be easily distinguished without looking. A soft case is the only way I am able to feel the difference.

Anyway, I spent a total of $250 for the rapir including insured shipping, so I wanted to get a screen protector offering the best protection for my repaired phone, and decided to install the Inskin tempered glass protector and I'm very, very impressed by this one!

I used the hinge method to lay the protector over the phone, then taped it in place, removed the inner film and carefully placed it down. The fit and alignment is very good, there are no air bubbles at all, and the best part is that this thing has a much, much better oleophobic coating than the phone itself... there simply are no fingerprints whatsoever! Before, I used to feel like I was constantly wiping my phone down.

Another benefit for me is that it is fully compatible with my ProClip dash mount card holder. The protector does not interfere with the tight grasp edges of the ProClip holder like my zagg shields used to. The zagg shields were more expensive too aoround $30 US, but the Inskin is a much better product. I highly recommend this protector!

Ouch!
temporary-1.jpg

Looking better... with the new digitizer from Palco and the tempered glass screen protector in place
002.jpg

Close-ups (notice the excellent fit around the speaker)
003.jpg
006.jpg
005.jpg
004.jpg

And all comfortable and secure with a new soft case by Amzer
007.jpg

Thanks for watching and be careful out there with this slippery bugger!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I wasn't thinking of getting one but might if the oleophobic properties are better than the phone's naked screen. I was disappointed that my 1520 was less oleophobic than my 925 was.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I wasn't thinking of getting one but might if the oleophobic properties are better than the phone's naked screen. I was disappointed that my 1520 was less oleophobic than my 925 was.

Yes - it is that good! The phone is much more enjoyable to use now because there are essentially no fingerprints at all. I literally have not wiped the phone with the microfiber cloth in three or four days! Before, I used to do that three or four times a day.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes - it is that good! The phone is much more enjoyable to use now because there are essentially no fingerprints at all. I literally have not wiped the phone with the microfiber cloth in three or four days! Before, I used to do that three or four times a day.

My only issue with the inskin(or any of the glass protectors for that fact) is that there is an overhang due to the screen curvature. I'd imagine in a few months that will be filled with crap and not be ideal.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
My only issue with the inskin(or any of the glass protectors for that fact) is that there is an overhang due to the screen curvature. I'd imagine in a few months that will be filled with crap and not be ideal.

There is no overhang. The tempered glass screen protector's overall dimensions are smaller than the phone, so it does not overhang. The protector is actually quite firmly adhered to the digitizer along the perimeter where the glass curves down to meet the body of the phone. I've been using it about a week, and there is no lint or other debris anywhere whatsoever between the protector and the screen!

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Oh this is just great!
I found this site and viewed the video, explaining how it is virtually impossible to separate the lcd and digitizer, a little too late!!!!!!!!!!
Well, i will CONFIRM!!!!!!!!!!
I IS FRICKIN IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT TRY THIS! YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR TIME, AS ALL YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH, IS RUINING YOUR LCD!
AND THAT MY FRIEND'S, IS A PROMISE!
If any one out there manages to be successful at this, i will be the first to kiss your A-double-S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SWH73

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
In the images you posted, there appears to be a gap or separation of the screen protector as the edges of the screen curve down. If you look at the pictures closely, there is a border of some kind in the close ups. What is that? In the shot for the front facing camera, the "border" seems to go right through the top part of the lens. Are you sure there's no separation, especially now that it has been over a month?

Thanks for sharing the shots, I am thinking about getting a screen protector and am curious about this one from inskin.

-S

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
In the images you posted, there appears to be a gap or separation of the screen protector as the edges of the screen curve down. If you look at the pictures closely, there is a border of some kind in the close ups. What is that? In the shot for the front facing camera, the "border" seems to go right through the top part of the lens. Are you sure there's no separation, especially now that it has been over a month?

Thanks for sharing the shots, I am thinking about getting a screen protector and am curious about this one from inskin.

-S

Still working great for me. I love this protector. There is, obviously, a slightly different color border around the perimeter of the device's screen due to the curvature of the glass, but this has not deteriorated nor become dirty, or discolored in any way. The protector looks exactly the same today as it did the months ago in the photos I posted. Photos are not affected by this at all. I still would recommend this protector.

I've since added a soft case with a wrist strap modification that had proven to be very useful.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Get a heat gun or a powerful hair dryer, some cheap black mobile tape and a can of air duster. It will take some time to replace it, but it can be done. Takes longer with a hair dryer, but you probably have one at home.

A 1000 times this, there's no way you should disassemble a 1520 by brute force, I also have a shattered front glass (LCD and Digitizer works) and the part is coming in (slowly but surely since it's in Hong Kong...) The battery, the Front glass are glued together with mobile adhesive tape and according to some professionals, it's the hardest adhesive tapes they've ever removed from any phone.

So either get a heatgun, a powerful hair dryer or buy an iFixit iOpener (pretty much a sac of heated rice I presume). You will have to pass the heat source multiple times before it'll come off, little by little peel it off but if you're stuck don't brute force it, just keep applying heat to it, and it'll come off easily.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Oh this is just great!
I found this site and viewed the video, explaining how it is virtually impossible to separate the lcd and digitizer, a little too late!!!!!!!!!!
Well, i will CONFIRM!!!!!!!!!!
I IS FRICKIN IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT TRY THIS! YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR TIME, AS ALL YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH, IS RUINING YOUR LCD!
AND THAT MY FRIEND'S, IS A PROMISE!
If any one out there manages to be successful at this, i will be the first to kiss your A-double-S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well prepare to kiss ;) lol jk I'm getting mine replaced as well, just waiting for the part to arrive.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
A 1000 times this, there's no way you should disassemble a 1520 by brute force, I also have a shattered front glass (LCD and Digitizer works) and the part is coming in (slowly but surely since it's in Hong Kong...) The battery, the Front glass are glued together with mobile adhesive tape and according to some professionals, it's the hardest adhesive tapes they've ever removed from any phone.

So either get a heatgun, a powerful hair dryer or buy an iFixit iOpener (pretty much a sac of heated rice I presume). You will have to pass the heat source multiple times before it'll come off, little by little peel it off but if you're stuck don't brute force it, just keep applying heat to it, and it'll come off easily.

A heat gun provides a very high risk of damaging the LCD. The recommended repair, is to replace the whole assembly, since the glass, digitizer and LCD are all bonded together. The ONLY time you attempt to separate the glass from the other two is if you have a thermal machine that will properly heat up the assembly. We won't even discuss the cost of the machine. Then you have to have LOCA glue and a proper UV source, which will cost you a bit.

For the normal consumer, it makes no sense to buy these machines for a one time repair. Either get insurance on your phone and use it if you break your phone, or take it to a repair center and pay for a new assembly. If nothing else, quit dropping your phone! :wink:

For reference, I quoted a 1520 repair just a couple days ago at $235 installed.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
A hair dryer is a very very bad idea. It will warp the screen and that will make it worse plus it will disfigure the side of the phone making it hard to put the screen on. I haven't tried this but common sense tells me if you are not officially certified to repair a phone then chances are its going to go wrong

SWH73

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
That's great news. Thank you for the update.

Now for the most important question, where can I get a copy of that killer wallpaper that's on your Windows Phone after the display assembly was replaced?

:)

PS - I've ordered the screen protector...

S T1

Banned
Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
JUST FYI, Microsoft Stores are AWESOME and very helpful. If you have ANY Lumia phns broken or malfunctioning, I'll try them 1st, BEFORE going to ATT or anyone else. I bought a used 1520 phn online(NOT from Microsoft store), and for some reason the NFC was not working on it, so MS store tested it and once was confirmed, they gave me a brand new phn in its replacement. All I had to buy was their $99 2 years warranty that covers ANYTHING/EVRYTHING except for theft. I just broke my 1520 screen and they will replace my phn for a brand new one again for only $50 right away, without waiting or sending it off. (i'm thinking to get the newer GREEN version :grin:) (or just hold on to my broken screen phn till 1525/1530 comes out and ask them to replace it with NEW phn :))
Also, the best thing to do if you don't have a MS store in your mall/town, is to go on Ebay and buy a screen/digitizer assembly for $130 or so. its much easier and less headache to do that, than trying to separate the LCD and digitizer. I can assure you, 90% of the time you will break the LCD when you are trying to separate. its a very difficult job, without a very expensive and special tool. these 2 things are stuck together pretty good on 1520's. for me installation was very easy(however, i'm very good on repairing phns/electronics)
recap:
1st, try an "GO" to Microsoft Store near you(No phone calls, just go to their store)to see what they can do for you guys(AWESOME customer service)
2nd, buy the entire screen assembly form Ebay or similar places. Do NOT pay more than $150(less is way better of course :)). just search BING(google SUCKS) and find the cheapest.
3rd: go to ATT and see what they can do for you(more likely NOTHING :-( or they are going to rip you off, with some crazy $$$$$$

goodluck, ask me if you have any questions. I've done many screens for many brands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)