Shattered 1520 screen. Replacement help?

James Griggs

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I just shattered my 1520 screen, but it is fully functional. Touch is 100% responsive and visible screen, but it is shattered. Anybody know anywhere cheaper than my $200 At&T deductible?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I know that there may be a place, I have seen threads where it is charged about $150 - $200. But why pay $6.99 for insurance if you are not going to use it? I mean, even at $150, you will still take a chance on the people doing a good job. I don't buy insurance because of the deductible. $200 will fix a broken screen., so why pay the $6.99 a month for?

jello_slapper

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I also cracked my screen and look in to doing it my self but didn't want to chance it and brick my phone so I just paid
Palco cell phone repair they did a great job and I got my phone back in a week

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't do it yourself, these screens are different than other lumias. They are bonded together and yopu will likely break the LCD as you try to remove the digitizer, this is why the repair shops use the more expensive screen assembly that has the LCD and the digitizer already bonded together.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't do it yourself, these screens are different than other lumias. They are bonded together and yopu will likely break the LCD as you try to remove the digitizer, this is why the repair shops use the more expensive screen assembly that has the LCD and the digitizer already bonded together.

You can also use a heat gun. I did.

tmltknt

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

Breaking the screen or digitizer while trying to separate it from the glass does not exclude the second best alternative which is bringing it to a professional repairman who will charge you a whopping 220 USD for the whole assembly.

If you want to separate it buy a heat gun, molybdene wire and the disassembly screw drivers (see videos in youtube). Separation is the rather easy part. Gluing everything back together is the difficult part (I have broken by far three lcd:s while doing this). You need liquid optical adhesive (LOCA), two sided tape and a proper UV-light source to activate the bonding.

Alexandria Witman

May 27, 2014
Visit site
When I had my 1520 shatter, I went into AT&T to claim insurance. I remember telling the service rep that I wanted insurance on it and here I find out, he didn't listen and add it. Now I am stuck with this repair because AT&T couldn't help.
Is it normal for only one side to still work and the other half non-responsive?

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When I had my 1520 shatter, I went into AT&T to claim insurance. I remember telling the service rep that I wanted insurance on it and here I find out, he didn't listen and add it. Now I am stuck with this repair because AT&T couldn't help.
Is it normal for only one side to still work and the other half non-responsive?

You speak with a manager, maybe call support too?

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Get a heat gun or a powerful hair dryer, some cheap black mobile tape and a can of air duster. It will take some time to replace it, but it can be done. Takes longer with a hair dryer, but you probably have one at home.

tmltknt

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I tried repairing one yesterday. I have a bit of experience of separating the displays (lumia 928s and 1020s mostly) and thought this would not be much more difficult.

Well, how wrong I was, and I broke the screen. It turns out that both the glass and the digitizer are bonded together with glue. I needed to geth both the glass (gorilla 2) and the digitizer (very thin glass under the gorilla glass) off the screen as my replacement part had them both glued together.

I had a molybdenium wire and heat gun, but still the separation process was awfully slow (took probably two hours) and the end result was a failure. It was difficult to get under the digitizer glass, and when it shattered, it created a lot of friction for the wire to move. In most AMOLED-lumias the lcd has both the digitizer and the amoled screen as one element, so the separation is much more easier as the structure is also harder. This 1520 was a real oddball.

I might try again as there is one 1520 coming in, but the chances of success will be again minimal.

Try it if you want, but without professional separator machine chances of success are not very high!

Glenn Jenkins

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I was in the same boat. No insurance and a shattered screen. I sent it to Palco and they did a great job. However, when I received my phone from Palco, I had the famous two bright white spots on the screen. These were definitely not there before the repair. I sent it back to Palco since they have a 90 day warranty on their repairs. Phone was repaired and covered under their warranty, shipped back fast and is as good or better than new. Recommend Palco for a great job and fast turnaround.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I just shattered my 1520 screen, but it is fully functional. Touch is 100% responsive and visible screen, but it is shattered. Anybody know anywhere cheaper than my $200 At&T deductible?
You could do it yourself for probably 50 max but you would have to be proficient with a heat gun and adhesive. If you're not proficient with a heat gun the easier route would be to replace the entire digitizer but it's probably going to cost the same 200 dollars you would've paid for the fix anyway.

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Breaking the screen or digitizer while trying to separate it from the glass does not exclude the second best alternative which is bringing it to a professional repairman who will charge you a whopping 220 USD for the whole assembly.

If you want to separate it buy a heat gun, molybdene wire and the disassembly screw drivers (see videos in youtube). Separation is the rather easy part. Gluing everything back together is the difficult part (I have broken by far three lcd:s while doing this). You need liquid optical adhesive (LOCA), two sided tape and a proper UV-light source to activate the bonding.

after you get all of this stuff and go through three $40 digitizers dont you think it would be easier to send it out. I have yet to hear a single succes story for doing this on a 1520

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I just dropped mine on a gravel road and totally shattered the front glass. Everything else works fine, I have no insurance with att. What are my options to have it repaired?

temporary.jpg

temporary-1.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo