10-21-2015 08:18 AM
49 12
tools
    I just shattered my 1520 screen, but it is fully functional. Touch is 100% responsive and visible screen, but it is shattered. Anybody know anywhere cheaper than my $200 At&T deductible?
    05-05-2014 11:43 PM
    I know that there may be a place, I have seen threads where it is charged about $150 - $200. But why pay $6.99 for insurance if you are not going to use it? I mean, even at $150, you will still take a chance on the people doing a good job. I don't buy insurance because of the deductible. $200 will fix a broken screen., so why pay the $6.99 a month for?
    05-06-2014 06:02 AM
    This is Elena from Parts4repair.com,we can offer a front glass of Nokia Lumia 1520 which is you need.the bellow is link:
    Front Glass for Nokia Lumia 1520 - Parts4repair.Com
    I try to find the video about how to disassemble Nokia Lumia 1520 Screen Assembly,but it is failure.
    Hope can help you.
    05-07-2014 04:24 AM
    This is Elena from Parts4repair.com,we can offer a front glass of Nokia Lumia 1520 which is you need.the bellow is link:
    Front Glass for Nokia Lumia 1520 - Parts4repair.Com
    I try to find the video about how to disassemble Nokia Lumia 1520 Screen Assembly,but it is failure.
    Hope can help you.
    How hard is it to replace?
    Last edited by Booston; 05-07-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    05-07-2014 12:22 PM
    it is very hard to get it done right by people who mostly have no experience,I suggest that you had best to send it to repair by professional repairman or buy the complete screen assembly (includes lcd & touch screen and front glass) to replace。
    the videos maybe can let you know how hard it is.

05-07-2014 10:25 PM
    I also cracked my screen and look in to doing it my self but didn't want to chance it and brick my phone so I just paid
    Palco cell phone repair they did a great job and I got my phone back in a week
    anon9169769 and jfa1 like this.
    05-09-2014 12:35 AM
    I also cracked my screen and look in to doing it my self but didn't want to chance it and brick my phone so I just paid
    Palco cell phone repair they did a great job and I got my phone back in a week
    How much does it cost?
    05-11-2014 08:56 PM
    How much does it cost?
    It came out to 220 with the insurance for shipping
    anon9169769 likes this.
    05-14-2014 10:31 PM
    Don't do it yourself, these screens are different than other lumias. They are bonded together and yopu will likely break the LCD as you try to remove the digitizer, this is why the repair shops use the more expensive screen assembly that has the LCD and the digitizer already bonded together.
    11B1P likes this.
    05-15-2014 10:04 AM
    Don't do it yourself, these screens are different than other lumias. They are bonded together and yopu will likely break the LCD as you try to remove the digitizer, this is why the repair shops use the more expensive screen assembly that has the LCD and the digitizer already bonded together.
    You can also use a heat gun. I did.
    05-15-2014 10:12 AM
    Breaking the screen or digitizer while trying to separate it from the glass does not exclude the second best alternative which is bringing it to a professional repairman who will charge you a whopping 220 USD for the whole assembly.

If you want to separate it buy a heat gun, molybdene wire and the disassembly screw drivers (see videos in youtube). Separation is the rather easy part. Gluing everything back together is the difficult part (I have broken by far three lcd:s while doing this). You need liquid optical adhesive (LOCA), two sided tape and a proper UV-light source to activate the bonding.
    Alexandria Witman likes this.
    05-15-2014 10:26 AM
    It came out to 220 with the insurance for shipping
    Ouch!
    05-15-2014 03:48 PM
    When I had my 1520 shatter, I went into AT&T to claim insurance. I remember telling the service rep that I wanted insurance on it and here I find out, he didn't listen and add it. Now I am stuck with this repair because AT&T couldn't help.
    Is it normal for only one side to still work and the other half non-responsive?
    05-27-2014 03:24 PM
    When I had my 1520 shatter, I went into AT&T to claim insurance. I remember telling the service rep that I wanted insurance on it and here I find out, he didn't listen and add it. Now I am stuck with this repair because AT&T couldn't help.
    Is it normal for only one side to still work and the other half non-responsive?
    You speak with a manager, maybe call support too?
    Georgi Georgiev7 likes this.
    05-27-2014 06:45 PM
    Get a heat gun or a powerful hair dryer, some cheap black mobile tape and a can of air duster. It will take some time to replace it, but it can be done. Takes longer with a hair dryer, but you probably have one at home.
    ShinraCorp likes this.
    05-27-2014 10:03 PM
    Okay, so I tried repairing one yesterday. I have a bit of experience of separating the displays (lumia 928s and 1020s mostly) and thought this would not be much more difficult.

Well, how wrong I was, and I broke the screen. It turns out that both the glass and the digitizer are bonded together with glue. I needed to geth both the glass (gorilla 2) and the digitizer (very thin glass under the gorilla glass) off the screen as my replacement part had them both glued together.

I had a molybdenium wire and heat gun, but still the separation process was awfully slow (took probably two hours) and the end result was a failure. It was difficult to get under the digitizer glass, and when it shattered, it created a lot of friction for the wire to move. In most AMOLED-lumias the lcd has both the digitizer and the amoled screen as one element, so the separation is much more easier as the structure is also harder. This 1520 was a real oddball.

I might try again as there is one 1520 coming in, but the chances of success will be again minimal.

Try it if you want, but without professional separator machine chances of success are not very high!
    05-28-2014 08:28 AM
    I was in the same boat. No insurance and a shattered screen. I sent it to Palco and they did a great job. However, when I received my phone from Palco, I had the famous two bright white spots on the screen. These were definitely not there before the repair. I sent it back to Palco since they have a 90 day warranty on their repairs. Phone was repaired and covered under their warranty, shipped back fast and is as good or better than new. Recommend Palco for a great job and fast turnaround.
    05-28-2014 02:34 PM
    I just shattered my 1520 screen, but it is fully functional. Touch is 100% responsive and visible screen, but it is shattered. Anybody know anywhere cheaper than my $200 At&T deductible?
    You could do it yourself for probably 50 max but you would have to be proficient with a heat gun and adhesive. If you're not proficient with a heat gun the easier route would be to replace the entire digitizer but it's probably going to cost the same 200 dollars you would've paid for the fix anyway.
    05-28-2014 02:43 PM
    Breaking the screen or digitizer while trying to separate it from the glass does not exclude the second best alternative which is bringing it to a professional repairman who will charge you a whopping 220 USD for the whole assembly.

If you want to separate it buy a heat gun, molybdene wire and the disassembly screw drivers (see videos in youtube). Separation is the rather easy part. Gluing everything back together is the difficult part (I have broken by far three lcd:s while doing this). You need liquid optical adhesive (LOCA), two sided tape and a proper UV-light source to activate the bonding.
    after you get all of this stuff and go through three $40 digitizers dont you think it would be easier to send it out. I have yet to hear a single succes story for doing this on a 1520
    06-07-2014 12:22 AM
    I just dropped mine on a gravel road and totally shattered the front glass. Everything else works fine, I have no insurance with att. What are my options to have it repaired?

Last edited by Madam ImAdam; 08-28-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    08-28-2014 05:06 PM
    Help.. I'm slicing my fingers here trying to use Swype!
    08-28-2014 07:28 PM
    I just dropped mine on a gravel road and totally shattered the front glass. Everything else works fine, I have no insurance with att. What are my options to have it repaired?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../temporary.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...emporary-1.jpg

Wow that's so sad.. well depending where you live you find a screen replace place. In most malls there is a kiosk every 100ft doing that. Some radio shacks do screen repairs now. Or go on eBay and buy screen replacement yourself or bite the bullet send it to nokia
    08-29-2014 10:04 AM
    Wow that's so sad.. well depending where you live you find a screen replace place. In most malls there is a kiosk every 100ft doing that. Some radio shacks do screen repairs now. Or go on eBay and buy screen replacement yourself or bite the bullet send it to nokia
    Yeah, I'm going to send it to Nokia's recommended repair shop, Palco. It looks like it will cost $219. (it really hurts considering that I only paid $49 for the phone through Amazon on a two year contract)
    08-29-2014 01:48 PM
    I'm in the same boat, just shattered my screen today (after only two days with my 1520).

If you still need to use your phone (and the digitizer still works), here's what I did:

1. Dust off any loose pieces of glass.
    2. Get some clear mailing/packing tape, and carefully place two overlapping layers on the screen, covering the glass and a little bit over the edges.

This will help prevent cuts and further deterioration of the screen while you're waiting to send it in for repair.
    I'm probably going to go the Palco route as well, unless the place I bought it from is willing to replace it (not holding my breath, but I'm going to ask at least, as soon as their customer service dept. is open again).

BTW - I'll add my vote to those above recommending AGAINST folks trying to repair the glass themselves. I did a screen replacement on my Lumia 900, and it was a piece of cake (replaced the entire glass/digitizer/LCD assembly). I looked at several videos of disassembling the 1520, and it appears to be orders of magnitude more complex, with several fragile-looking pieces to remove. I can't even imagine being able to remove all the bits of shattered glass from the LCD without damaging it. The cheapest price I saw for a digitizer/LCD assembly for the 1520 was around $170 on ebay. So if Palco is charging $220 for replacing the assembly, including return shipping, that seems like a pretty good deal to me.
    Last edited by Devhammer; 08-29-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added some info on previous screen repair experience
    Madam ImAdam likes this.
    08-29-2014 08:14 PM
    I recently received my repaired phone from Palco... they did a very good job with the screen/digitzer replacement, and also apparently had to replace the back case for some reason. Mine had some scratches on the rear glass over the camera and the back cover was slightly scuffed. Both are now brand new and free of scratches. One thing, however, is that the volume rocker buttons are much closer to the case now, so that they are basically flush and cannot be easily distinguished without looking. A soft case is the only way I am able to feel the difference.

Anyway, I spent a total of $250 for the rapir including insured shipping, so I wanted to get a screen protector offering the best protection for my repaired phone, and decided to install the Inskin tempered glass protector and I'm very, very impressed by this one!

I used the hinge method to lay the protector over the phone, then taped it in place, removed the inner film and carefully placed it down. The fit and alignment is very good, there are no air bubbles at all, and the best part is that this thing has a much, much better oleophobic coating than the phone itself... there simply are no fingerprints whatsoever! Before, I used to feel like I was constantly wiping my phone down.

Another benefit for me is that it is fully compatible with my ProClip dash mount card holder. The protector does not interfere with the tight grasp edges of the ProClip holder like my zagg shields used to. The zagg shields were more expensive too aoround $30 US, but the Inskin is a much better product. I highly recommend this protector!

Ouch!
    temporary-1.jpg

Looking better... with the new digitizer from Palco and the tempered glass screen protector in place
    002.jpg

Close-ups (notice the excellent fit around the speaker)
    003.jpg
    006.jpg
    005.jpg
    004.jpg

And all comfortable and secure with a new soft case by Amzer
    007.jpg

Thanks for watching and be careful out there with this slippery bugger!
    philharmonik and HoosierDaddy like this.
    09-21-2014 02:28 PM
49 12