New Lumia 1520 User

diego9016

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey there guys. Next week I'll get muy brand new white Lumia 1520 (RM-937). I'm from Colombia (Latin America).

I was wondering if you have any tips to give me, as I've been a lifetime android user, and this will be my first WP. I come from a Sony Xperia Z1.

Is there a way to backup contacts on android and restoring them on the Lumia 1520?

I'm importing it from Amazon USA, so I want to know what defects should I look for and how to check if the phone has them? Any tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ricardo Dawkins

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Just sync your contacts to Gmail instead of the sim card or the phone memory...when you get the Lumia just add your Gmail account in the Emails & accounts settings.... Windows Phone will take care in syncing these contacts to your People tile.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Main thing to look for is the touch/swipe problem.

As it happens my last android phone was a Z1 and I loved it apart from Google wanting to know everything. Had a go on the Z2 over last weekend and it a step up from the Z1 but the Z1 was better to look at and hold. The screen is very good on the Z2 but not as good as the 1520 and my friend how owned the Z2 said the same.

Welcome and I'm sure you will really enjoy your new phone.

diego9016

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Will, but spending time in this forum is horrible. There are a lot of people reporting problems, and I'm worried now that my phone will have some factory defect :(

I need to know exactly what to look and how... How do I find if I have the touch/swipe problem?

Thanks in advance.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Will, but spending time in this forum is horrible. There are a lot of people reporting problems, and I'm worried now that my phone will have some factory defect :(

I need to know exactly what to look and how... How do I find if I have the touch/swipe problem?

Thanks in advance.

When you get your phone just use it and you will know if you have it. Although it could be worse when you first start using the phone and then get better but that is if you even have it.

Don't let other people put you off getting the phone because for one this is where people come if they have a problem. Plus you can't be live everything you read here. The fact that you are not sure about getting the phone is the reason it is in the best interest of other manufactures to put people off buying a product. If they can put people off buying one product then there is more chance of them getting your custom for theirs.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
@diego
You must remember:
How many users of the 1520 have never seen this forum and are just living day to day with no bugs, problems, issues.
WPC is an enthusiast website...then there are those that just aren't that enthusiastic.
:wink:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I came here, not because of problems, but because I really like this phone a lot and wanted to learn the most I can from it. These forums can tech you a lot, specially to tell the constant complainers from those that really know their stuff. If it wasn't for this forum, I would be on 8.0 and not doing anything. But I have updated to the Preview Upgrade to 8.1, bought a 128GB card, learned how to move the maps to the sd card (Something the phones storage sense can't seem to do by itself) Look for the post I did on Getting a little Nokia love. And claim Microsoft credit for just owning the phone. And someone posted that if you change your region to the USA, you can download the Gift Voucher app, then change back to your own region and run the app to get the code. Lots of good info in these forums..

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
To make you feel better, i can say that i haven't had single hardware problem since December i purchased my phone. Screen scratch resistance is very good. I don't have even tiniest mark on my screen, although i have Nokia flip cover on my phone which i can highly recommend.

Besides bit flimsy SIM-tray cover which i believe is fixed now on never devices, there is no complaint from my side about hardware. Phone is excellent buy and you should be covered for years to come regarding software support.

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
The swipe/tap problem aside the 1520 is a great piece of hardware. I've owned HTC, Samsung and Nexus Android devices and the 1520 is better than any of them.

Coming from many years of Android I find some of the restrictions in WP a little tiresome but overall I prefer the OS to the current versions of Android.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99