Can someone please help my jaded views on battery life with a 1520?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Then what is the use of live tiles.if u turn off all your live tiles off.lumia 1520 has monstrous battery it should be a device which should be leaps nd bounds ahead of note 3 but.still it is somewhat better to say the least.i wish smartphone should have atleast 2 days of battery life by always connected to internet running all background task nd all phone function like nfc,bluetooth,location turned on.hope Microsoft provide a windows phone device.like that.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

What's the point of having live tiles if the tiles are outside the viewable areas of the screen? Or what the point of live tiles if I need to tap to launch the apps in order to catch up with information? That's why I'm looking forward to action center in 8.1. Is all about personal preferences. Why turn on so many connections when you are not using and wasting battery, even if the battery of 1520 is much better than Note 3? Having a good and big battery doesn't mean one need to waste them away just like that.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
What's the point of having live tiles if the tiles are outside the viewable areas of the screen? Or what the point of live tiles if I need to tap to launch the apps in order to catch up with information? That's why I'm looking forward to action center in 8.1. Is all about personal preferences. Why turn on so many connections when you are not using and wasting battery, even if the battery of 1520 is much better than Note 3? Having a good and big battery doesn't mean one need to waste them away just like that.

Hey if u want notification in action centre then u need to enable app to run in the background.anyway battery is waste.live tiles update only when it is connected to internet 3 g or 4 g.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey if u want notification in action centre then u need to enable app to run in the background.anyway battery is waste.live tiles update only when it is connected to internet 3 g or 4 g.

Well, running background and having live tiles are 2 different operations. Currently, we cannot disable background agents, but we can disable live tiles. With action center, there is no need for live tiles at all as far as my usages are concerned. In fact, I will no longer need to pin so much unwanted tiles with the help of action center. Running background tasks are inevitable for it is a smart phone. But turning on unnecessary connectivity is a bad practice imo. I'm also looking forward to Battery Power Sense for more refine apps control in 8.1.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, running background and having live tiles are 2 different operations. Currently, we cannot disable background agents, but we can disable live tiles. With action center, there is no need for live tiles at all as far as my usages are concerned. In fact, I will no longer need to pin so much unwanted tiles with the help of action center. Running background tasks are inevitable for it is a smart phone. But turning on unnecessary connectivity is a bad practice imo. I'm also looking forward to Battery Power Sense for more refine apps control in 8.1.

No pa in order to recieve notification you should enable that app in background then only they notify you or else you will miss notification.one question are u in 8.1 or 8:D:(

bgaz

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Ladies and Gents,
I'm new to the forums but been using Windows Mobile since version 2. I have a 2-week old 1520 that loses 42% of the battery charge overnight sitting on my bedside table. I unplug it from the charger at 100% right before I jump in bed. In the morning, 9 hours later, the battery is at 58%!!

I have not setup any email accounts yet, not used any maps and have limited my background tasks to Bing Finance and Bing Weather. I also have a 2-year old HTC Titan 2 that overnight loses 4%.

Only phone connection is on, all others (WiFi, Bluetooth) are off. As I currently look at the battery settings I have battery saver on and remaining battery life is 51% or 10 hours with 11 hours since last charge. Under Advanced I have the conserve battery setting on "when battery is low". The first time I used it I let the battery get down to 1% before charging to 100%.

I rebooted the phone yesterday afternoon. Would a soft reset do anything? Is it time for a hard reset or to get a replacement? What is going on with this phone?

Thanks,
Bretski

bgaz

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I only have Bing Weather and Finance enabled for background tasks. I have both Nokia Drive and Maps installed but I have not used them at all.

Edit: I just disabled all background tasks to see what, if any effect it will have.

What's installed is mostly what came installed with the phone. I have installed a lot of the Nokia apps but again, only the 2 apps above are allowed to run background tasks.

Edit2: screen brightness is auto, haven't changed anything there

Edit3: This phone was 100% charged last night at 9:30PM. This morning at 7:30AM was at 58%. Today just been looking at settings, 2 texts, read 5 minutes of news and played 10 minutes of Angry Birds and the battery right now at 11:50AM is 32% left. I did a soft reset and seems to make no difference.

So is it time for hard reset or return the phone to Amazon or Nokia care or?

Last edited:

bgaz

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Nope, still has 8, not 8.1. Yea, the hard reset is the only thing I haven't tried. Will do that once it's fully charged again.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Okay I'll drain it to 0% tonight.

1.) Never drain it to 0%. With Lithium Ion batteries, that seems like the absolute worst thing you can do. And keeping it at 100% does not harm the battery life unless your charger is malfunctioning.

2.) A hard reset without restoring settings has been proven to be extremely effective at getting rid of battery drain in wp8.1. If your phone is getting warm in your pocket, that's your answer. It worked wonders for me.

soy_corriendo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
1.) Never drain it to 0%. With Lithium Ion batteries, that seems like the absolute worst thing you can do. And keeping it at 100% does not harm the battery life unless your charger is malfunctioning.

2.) A hard reset without restoring settings has been proven to be extremely effective at getting rid of battery drain in wp8.1. If your phone is getting warm in your pocket, that's your answer. It worked wonders for me.

I'm on WP8.

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
A big battery drain source is bad cell reception. My 1520, when i'm at good reception areas, get a real nice battery life, but at work, my reception is real bad and that kills my battery.

A tipical work day: Unplugged phone at 06:00 am, read news, play 10 of a game, whatsapp all day long (well, around 20 msgs), a few hours of music (radio & mp3, mp3 using my bluetooth headset). I have everything turn on, but LTE (i used 3g cause 4g can not reach inside my building). And, around 18:15 pm, my battery has 41% left.

Also having twitter sending notifications, along with facebook, 2 emails accounts set to "usage" (microsoft and google), glance screen on, brightness at max with auto.

On weekends, asuming same usage, my phone can last 2 days.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Did it take anyone a couple of weeks for their battery to calibrate and get better?

I would say that mine took a week before it was up to where it was before on 8.0 but it is much better now than when I was on 8.0

I would give it a few, maybe 3-4 full charges to get there.

soy_corriendo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I would say that mine took a week before it was up to where it was before on 8.0 but it is much better now than when I was on 8.0

I would give it a few, maybe 3-4 full charges to get there.

It has been past a week since I got it. Almost 2. At 55%, my estimated time is 3 hours and I haven't been doing much. I guess 8.1 will make it better?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It has been past a week since I got it. Almost 2. At 55%, my estimated time is 3 hours and I haven't been doing much. I guess 8.1 will make it better?

When you reset your phone did you restore your settings or set it up as new. I know that your on 8.0 but as your running out of ideas.

Don't put too much pass on the estimated time especially if you have been using the phone because the way it works is that it takes your usage over the last hour or couple of hours and tells you then how long the battery will last with that usage.

soy_corriendo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
When you reset your phone did you restore your settings or set it up as new. I know that your on 8.0 but as your running out of ideas.

Don't put too much pass on the estimated time especially if you have been using the phone because the way it works is that it takes your usage over the last hour or couple of hours and tells you then how long the battery will last with that usage.

I started fresh when I restarted it. I just want my phone to last a full day. I don't have any apps running in the background.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb