05-18-2014 01:58 PM
54 123
tools
    Thank you all for your replies. One thing I think a few people missed is that I'm an audiophile. Bluetooth headphones are out of the question because they sound absolutely terrible (how do you not hear the audio compression going on?). If the phone had aptX it would probably be considered but that's just not the case. Also some headphones suggested are just terrible quality from boutique companies. I'm shocked some of you bought some of these cans. I should have mentioned that I'm looking for in-ear headphones. Sorry. From my understanding the purity headphones were completely discontinued but I'm sure I should still be able to find them somewhere. I think those and the Samsung suggestion might be my best option. Thank you all. I'll try those and see what they sound/control like.
    if your a self confessed audiofile as you put it why not just buy an adapter and use your own headphones?? I personally wont spend over 50 on headphones because I use them in a active job with a bag going right across my chest where the headphone wire is

everyones hearing is different as are ear shapes but the cheap and cheerful skullcandy titan 2.0 sound much better to the Samsung ear buds I got with my s4 but then I like warmth and depth to my music where as the next person might like there music to be more flat , it all depends on what your running through your headphones as well , I listen to rap , dnb , hard trance , reggae , psytance , with some different types of bands , most of my music is pretty much bass influenced so I want headphones that aren't tinny etc

to be honest I found your last reply a little insulting to people that have helped you or offered you choices , you could have just said thanks but you chose to have a pop at the choices people have offered which is a bit uncalled for and one persons opinion on good headphones will vary to the next persons based on price , build quality , sound performance etc etc

anyways good luck with the headphones and hope you find a pair your happy with ;-)
    05-11-2014 06:45 PM
    Thank you all for your replies. One thing I think a few people missed is that I'm an audiophile. Bluetooth headphones are out of the question because they sound absolutely terrible (how do you not hear the audio compression going on?). If the phone had aptX it would probably be considered but that's just not the case. Also some headphones suggested are just terrible quality from boutique companies. I'm shocked some of you bought some of these cans. I should have mentioned that I'm looking for in-ear headphones. Sorry. From my understanding the purity headphones were completely discontinued but I'm sure I should still be able to find them somewhere. I think those and the Samsung suggestion might be my best option. Thank you all. I'll try those and see what they sound/control like.
    I mentioned the Bose ones. They have really rich sound (full spectrum). They are in ear. And they have working mic and control (play/pause, answer call etc). In my honest opinion, you should try them out.
    05-11-2014 06:54 PM
    I use Coloud Knock with my L920. Perfectly fine. You can try Coloud headphones (manufactured by Nokia)
    05-11-2014 07:10 PM
    I tried the yurbuds but couldn't get them to work.
    05-11-2014 09:26 PM
    I'm not trying to insult. Good quality headphones are not an opinion. I'm not listening to music for warmth or bass enhancement. I'm listening to music to hear it exactly as it should be. I mostly listen to my own music they're for I have the advantage of knowing exactly how it should sound. I don't want to exaggerate anything. I just want the music to sound like music and nothing else. A lot of suggestions compensate for the music by EQ' Ing the music or compressing and any audiophile knows these things l lower the quality of the play back because they introduce artifacts that are not actually in the music like saturation, distortion etc.
    05-11-2014 09:33 PM
    I'm not looking for anything special. Just basic headphones that are somewhat neutral.
    05-11-2014 09:34 PM
    I'm not looking for anything special. Just basic headphones that are somewhat neutral.
    What's good about the Samsung Galaxy in ear headphones that I mention aside from good neutral, balanced audio playback is that you can possibly get them for free from the in store carrier, lol.

I was cool with a few store associates and I was able to get a pair of never used headphones from a returned galaxy phone package being sent back to the warehouse.

My headset got snagged once or twice on someone's backpack on the subway, so it was cool being able to ask if they had any returns and get a headset for free.
    05-11-2014 10:15 PM
    Look into the Etymotics.
    05-11-2014 10:34 PM
    Uhm am an AKG//NAD/PSB guy, and IMHO *in Obi Wan voice* You don't need a Headphone with Microphone.

IF you like to hear your Music with great/decent SQ just buy a dedicated Headphone for Music and just use the headset included in your 1520 for calls.
    05-12-2014 12:31 AM
    I have yet to find one pair of headphones with a mic to work on this thing (1520). Even headphones labeled universal or windows phone compatible haven't worked. The only thing that has worked is Bluetooth headphones but Bluetooth makes music sound like trash. Do I have an option for something that's actually of decent quality and has mic control. Btw I'm a bit of an audiophile so I can definitely hear quality. I'm not expecting the greatest headphones ever but I would like at least apple earpod quality (which isn't a high bar to pass at all). I will definitely return my phone if I cant get anything good. its just that important to me.
    You dont mention any budget?

You need Android headphones with separate colume control...

I have these: Sennheiser MM 70s Universal Smartphone Headset with Inline MM70S Good solid earphones.

But then I also bought these, which sound amazing: 2-Driver In-Ear with Smartphone Remote - XBA2VP Review - Sony US

With both of these everything works, mic, track control / phone call answering and volume control.

EDIT: Ok now I read little more and saw you appreciate sound quality. Check the Sony's out, I dont think you will be dissapointed. Im sure you can find a good deal from eBay or somewhere for them.

EDIT 2:

klipsch s4i rugged apparently work fine as well ;-) Image S4i Rugged All-Weather Earphones Red: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    Nope, the volume control of iPhone headphones will not work on WP's. Stop posting things you dont know about!
    Last edited by Loco5150; 05-12-2014 at 01:39 AM.
    05-12-2014 12:53 AM
    Cheap good sounding iems with fully working buttons, including volume with my 820.
    http://www.ibuygou.com/p-original_xi...-5708-usd.html
    Bit more expensive, no volume working tho.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ELA...pUvbUpU2533390

Sent from my Nokia 820 using Tapatalk
    05-12-2014 02:07 AM
    IF you like to hear your Music with great/decent SQ just buy a dedicated Headphone for Music and just use the headset included in your 1520 for calls.
    The international version of the Lumia 1520 comes with a headset the US (at&t) version does not come with a headset. Same price though smh
    05-12-2014 06:55 AM
    I've already ordered the purity headset. And I also ordered monster DNA universal headset (although I'm not a fan of monster) so hopefully I can get one to work fully with the phone.
    05-12-2014 06:58 AM
    Uhm am an AKG//NAD/PSB guy, and IMHO *in Obi Wan voice* You don't need a Headphone with Microphone.
    I have a pair of AKG 240s that I use for studio work. They're a bit stingy on the highs but I love them. Had them for at least half a decade.
    05-12-2014 07:03 AM
    What's good about the Samsung Galaxy in ear headphones that I mention aside from good neutral, balanced audio playback is that you can possibly get them for free from the in store carrier, lol.

I was cool with a few store associates and I was able to get a pair of never used headphones from a returned galaxy phone package being sent back to the warehouse.

My headset got snagged once or twice on someone's backpack on the subway, so it was cool being able to ask if they had any returns and get a headset for free.
    I tried to get some from Amazon but it was full of counterfeit knock offs. There were so many reviews saying they were fake I didn't feel I could order any. Maybe at&t will have some.
    05-12-2014 07:08 AM
    The international version of the Lumia 1520 comes with a headset the US (at&t) version does not come with a headset. Same price though smh
    Oh now I understand.

I have a pair of AKG 240s that I use for studio work. They're a bit stingy on the highs but I love them. Had them for at least half a decade.
    Am kinda accustomed to(and loves) the Mids that's why those are my gear.

Midrange Head represent yo! :D
    05-12-2014 07:19 AM
    I tried to get some from Amazon but it was full of counterfeit knock offs. There were so many reviews saying they were fake I didn't feel I could order any. Maybe at&t will have some.
    I agree, I tend to see a lot of them being sold by streets vendors.
    05-12-2014 10:38 AM

You aren't consistent with your points. First, you claim that you're an audiophile who's very picky with his gear. Now, you say that you want some basic headphones that are somewhat neutral...

I still suggest Coloud Boom for that description. They're also quite cheap compared to other sets out there.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
    diego9016 likes this.
    05-12-2014 10:59 AM
    Try aJays Five for Windows :) pretty good earphones.
    05-12-2014 11:03 AM
    I have the Purity HD and had the ear buds also, but the buds cranked out so I went with the Klipsch S3M their pretty cool and at least they tend to stay in my ears, where as the Purity buds kept falling out or needed to be readjusted. The S3M's also have a in-line mic and clicker for answering calls and skipping through tracks, but it doesn't have volume controls. And they work well with 8.1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-s3m-earbud-headphones-black/1584673.p?id=1219056049376&skuId=1584673&st=pcmcat165900050007_categoryid$pcmcat144700050004&cp=1&lp=4
    05-12-2014 11:28 AM
    You aren't consistent with your points. First, you claim that you're an audiophile who's very picky with his gear. Now, you say that you want some basic headphones that are somewhat neutral...

I still suggest Coloud Boom for that description. They're also quite cheap compared to other sets out there.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
    What's not consistent? I have trained ears. Therefore I'm able to hear the difference in audio quality. Does that mean I can't buy basic neutral headphones? I want one set of in-ear headphones to listen and talk on that doesn't sound like crap. Right now the only thing I've gotten to work for control or mic is Bluetooth headphones. They work well for talking but are terrible for music listening.
    05-12-2014 11:48 AM
    I've read about the klipsch ones. I'll try those next if these new sets I ordered don't work.

The reviews said the ajay5s are really heavy and constantly fall out of everyone's ear. Do you have that happen also?
    05-12-2014 11:50 AM
    What's not consistent? I have trained ears. Therefore I'm able to hear the difference in audio quality. Does that mean I can't buy basic neutral headphones? I want one set of in-ear headphones to listen and talk on that doesn't sound like crap. Right now the only thing I've gotten to work for control or mic is Bluetooth headphones. They work well for talking but are terrible for music listening.
    How much do you want to spend? I bought the sennheiser mm70s for $75 at office depot, they sound wonderful.
    05-12-2014 11:51 AM
    Look into the Etymotics.
    I checked them out. Wasn't really feeling them. They look huge btw.
    05-12-2014 11:51 AM
    How much do you want to spend? I bought the sennheiser mm70s for $75 at office depot, they sound wonderful.
    Price doesn't matter a whole lot but I would prefer stay under $100.
    05-12-2014 12:11 PM
54 123