Too many complaints?

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I got random reboots before, which I solved by uninstalling some Bing apps and Nokia App Folder, and the problem was solved. Aside from that, I didn't encounter any issue. And I love this device very much. :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I would have a hard time buying any expensive electronics device if I had to send it out of the country if it arrived defective. There is no way I would drop $500-$600 on a phone that I couldn't swap out in my local town.

Yeah its tough but I'll tell you an example of how ridiculously high the prices are here:
-iPhone 5s 16gb under Telcel (largest carrier by far here) is priced at 15,000 pesos which translates to about $1100 us dollars. The same happens with most of the consumer electronics products, like both of my HP notebooks (one dv7 that I bought for 700 dollars at best buy, the same laptop was priced 1200 dollars here, the second a envy 17 that I bought for 1400 dollars and here it was priced 22k).

They really make us want to go to the US for all our tech stuff.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Also double check which of the 1520 you are looking at,, AT&T crippled the 1520 at launch by removing the qi wireless charging and halving the storage.

I HATE that word.... My AT&T 1520 has the same 32GB storage as the 937 or the 938. OK, no Qi, but not everyone requires it. I killed 2 birds with one stone. I have my 1520 in a case and that same case that is protecting my phone, is also allowing me to charge it wirelessly.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I HATE that word.... My AT&T 1520 has the same 32GB storage as the 937 or the 938. OK, no Qi, but not everyone requires it. I killed 2 birds with one stone. I have my 1520 in a case and that same case that is protecting my phone, is also allowing me to charge it wirelessly.

Plus don't forget that with the 1520 it is not like your charging it every day so not having wireless charging isn't that big of a loss.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

I agree that no Qi doesn't "cripple" the 1520, but it is a consideration. Quite a few people, myself included, have not pulled the trigger on the phone for that reason. I'm waiting to see if there is a re-launch with 8.1 and perhaps ATT has wised up after the negative feedback. Not holding my breath, but I'll wait and see.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah its tough but I'll tell you an example of how ridiculously high the prices are here:
-iPhone 5s 16gb under Telcel (largest carrier by far here) is priced at 15,000 pesos which translates to about $1100 us dollars. The same happens with most of the consumer electronics products, like both of my HP notebooks (one dv7 that I bought for 700 dollars at best buy, the same laptop was priced 1200 dollars here, the second a envy 17 that I bought for 1400 dollars and here it was priced 22k).

That is awful. Well with prices like that you have no choice but to take the risk. I honestly can't tell you what to do. True reliability numbers are tough to come by. I can say that a friend of mine went through several iphones before they found one that worked with all WPA2 enabled wifi routers. Then of course once the warranty was over iOS 7 came out and it no longer works with WPA2 security. Neither does there mothers on certain routers. On the other hand my 1520 has never met a router g, n, or ac that it didn't like. Pick your poison.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

I saw a Lumia 1520.3 on sale for $1100 USD and I thought it was a mistake, but now I know that it wasn't! Is this because of the import duties an taxes?

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
More people come on the internet to complain than not complain, think about it, why do you think lots of reputable companies only have 1 praise for every 10 complaints even though they are doing well. People don't go "I had a really nice time at that hotel, I think I will go on a website and tell people how good it was" but complainers complain in droves.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The other problem is that people who put a lot of work into researching various products/services are invariably predisposed to finding exactly what they want to see (if they want to find positives, they'll search for upsides, if they're pessimistic in nature, they'll search for problems (then usually go ahead and post negatives without even owning the device)).

The real skill in research comes in filtering out the emotional baggage and basic misunderstanding that comes with reading other people's opinions and concentrating on the facts that apply to one's own needs.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough :p, AT&T released a32 gb variant ages after the launch and in turn must have cost more than a few customers by halving the storage to 16gb. I can understand their choice to remove QI charging but halving the storage....someone must have had a zombie moment.

Glen Urbina

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
MrWhiteman said it all! Thats effin true!

Just a few people do write FAIR reviews about services, products, etc. I do because I love to know what I am buying or using. I love to make good use of my money in something that is worth every cent. Is it good? Has good support? Is it worth it? Hotels, companies, products, services, anything!
But most people won't, only if they have problems, complains or something is not right! I do fair reviews all the time, we all want to get what we paid for, and for every cent to be worth it. Good companies will get costumers, bad companies will not.

Now let me say what I think of 1520, a review.

HARDWARE

Aesthetically this phone is BEAUTIFUL, a master piece! I like minimalist and simple things. I love the 1520 design, everything is placed where it should. Buttons are placed nicely!! The camera button comes very handy!

The back camera? Amazing, wonderful! As a photo enthusiast I can say the camera is one of the best phone cameras I have seen with many advanced features! And the camera button comes really handy! The flash sucks. It should have been xenon.

Front camera? Still needs some work, for my taste it sucks pretty badly. Grainy and slow if dark! Bad, bad, bad resolution.

Sensors are precise and work perfectly, I always turned them off in my S3, S4, Note, HTC's, Moto's because they were random and not precise... they made me rage more than once. Only thing missing is an IR blaster, that would be really useful! And maybe fingerprint scanner ONLY if it works as it should, I think that technology is not ready yet for prime time.

Also about Qi charging, once you go for it there's no way back! I even put a DT 900 hidden on my desk and nightstand, charges fast and it is so convenient!

Processor? Powerful. You can throw anything at it! If you updated to WP 8.1 DP... It is a DEVELOPER PREVIEW so it will lag a little sometimes and some things won't work as intended, you will have to make a soft reset-restart and hopefully it will resolve your issue or you will have to wait for the official release.

The battery in this thing is amazing, I'd never have thought that it would last forever with the screen size but it does! Using Xbox music to stream music all day! Whatsapp, FB and web browsing all day, by 10 PM is still around 15-20%.

It has micro SD slot, YES! No micro SD slot is a deal killer for me!

SIM tray is loose! BAD!

Touch screen sensitivity is good, perfect! And I have no more issues with it!

Signal is good but it will chose slowest networks (EDGE, 3G, HSDPA+) if they are stronger than the fastest ones. And you CAN'T force it to HSDPA or LTE.

Screen is gorgeous, crisp, clear, stunning! But there's a defect with most lumias, in white backgrounds you will see brighter spots in a specific part of the screen exactly where the back camera is placed. Other than that is perfect for me! Anyway you won’t notice the bright spot!

Glance feature is wonderful! I think it is not supported by 930 and some others phones because of the screen technology used.

VERY IMPORTANT. Screen seems to be fragile, still haven't drop it! Case or insurance could save your life, screen replacement is expen$ive. I have seen many post talking about broken digitizers and screens. Replacing only the digitizer is NOT easy at all if you manage to replace it without breaking the screen, that if you are lucky enough and didn't break the screen.

SOFTWARE

I've had about everything but iPhone, I do love my 1520 but as a power user WP 8.1 is still lacking advanced features/options. About the apps, I have the ones I need but they are lacking advanced options/features because of WP limitations and some others because apparently programmers aren't putting much effort in WP apps. But with WP 8.1 they finally added so much stuff that was missing and with WP 8.1 Microsoft is finally giving more freedom for making apps with everything we need but still not as much as Android.

For most people 8.1 will do! I am a power user, but most people are not! They have everything they need in 8.1 (just a few things missing, maybe some advanced options would be nice) BUT the 1520 is BLAZING FAST! Butter smooth! Not like my any other phone I've had!

Size of everything is about perfect on a 1520! The keyboard and the new swipe thing is amazing! Cortana is nice, and we have music recognition integrated (I'd suggest MS to improve it, is slow sometimes and if you don't have internet connection you are done. Some apps in Android store the recording so you can search that song later, you can’t do that with Bing)! Also integrated translation and QR scan, pretty sweet to translate things just with the camera.

Now WP and Lumia has some unique features and apps that I love so much and are freaking good: IE sucks on Windows but on WP is way too good, beats any other browser! Nokia apps are awesome, beamer, maps, camera, etc.!

The integration with Microsoft services is good, you will love it! It integrates with many services very nicely!

For music lovers, Xbox music pass is the way to go! Better than Pandora, Spotify, etc.! Music player is mediocre but it will do. Gallery is GOOD! Better than android!

Clean and simple OS, very good looking! I'd only add a few more advanced options and more transparent tiles for this new image backgrounds! And a color palette to choose our own accent and background colors, that would be sweet!

OVERALL

Hardware is good and this thing is damn pretty! Problems? Loose SIM tray, bright spots on the screen (you won't notice unless someone told you so), front camera sucks, FRAGILE screen. No IR blaster, no fingerprint yet. Battery, screen, processor, sensors, etc are amazing! Micro SD slot up to 128GB!

Software? You get everything you need, still missing some advanced features! But 8.1 is getting close to iOS and Android. Still has some advantages and unique design and features, and it is BUTTER SMOOTH. Integrates very nicely with MS services and some others.

By the way, got mine in India so it's a Black Lumia 1520 RM937 INDIA. Have been using it around the world with no problems in 4G-LTE. China, India, Europe, America (But no LTE in US)... everywhere but Japan!

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree that no Qi doesn't "cripple" the 1520, but it is a consideration. Quite a few people, myself included, have not pulled the trigger on the phone for that reason. I'm waiting to see if there is a re-launch with 8.1 and perhaps ATT has wised up after the negative feedback. Not holding my breath, but I'll wait and see.

Please, don't hold your breath, AT&T would need a reason to add cost to their pocketbook to add Qi. Cost is probably a big reason for the 16GB, but with 8.1 that isn't a problem anymore. I have the 16GB version almost a duplicate of my 32GB one (except in red) and both have almost the same thing on it. I can get a little clumsy with my phone, so I got a backup phone I like to play with and experiment with. Both doing great on 8.1

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Semantics aside, AT&T did cripple their version of the Lumia 1520. For those of us who enjoyed simply dropping it on a charging pad (it's own little spot on the desk / nightstand) it is sorely missed. AT&T supports a divergent wireless consortium, thus QI is out of Lumia 1520.

I notice now (on my AT&T Lumia 1520) how prone to breakage the micro usb port is. If that goes, how will we charge our phones. PLUS, the investment in QI chargers (I had 2, fortunately my wife uses them for my old Lumia 920).

OTOH, the storage is not as much an issue, because of sdCard support for apps & card support (officially) up to 64GB (unofficially up to 128GB).

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I drop my 1520 on a pad and it charges plus I get the protection of a case, so I don't see the crippled part. Like I said I also have 32GB storage too. So still not seeing the crippled part. But since I sold my 920 a year ago with the Qi pads, I would still need to purchase them. So the only way my 1520 is crippled must be that they put a different OS on it, or it's there something else my phone can't do that the 937 & 938 can do? I am also unlocked. Please tell me, or educate me on what I am missing? Lets see my checklist.

1) wireless charging - have it
2) 32GB storage - have it
3) unlocked - have it.
4) WP8.1 - have it
5) 128GB SD card - have it

So what do they have that I don't?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I know what it is, colors.. I only have black, and the other two come in different colors. OMG your right it must be crippled, I hear red is faster, yellow is smoother, white is more elegant. Dang, should have thought about that when I bought it. LOL

Last edited:

Avdhesh Rathore

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my Lumia 1520 (Black) on 6th Feb 14, after using one week I found two issues 1) brightness & 2) touch problem. Then I contacted to customer care and after testing Nokia suggest to replace the phone. But unfortunately they have only yellow colour available which I did not want to get so I denied. Nokia suggest to use new one Yellow and confirm to replace with black when ever is available in his store. Although same issue is with new piece but less than. I have contacted nokia for status of my black and every time they confirmed that is it under testing and you need not to contacted again and again as soon as it will be ready it will dispatched. On 12th May I contacted to Nokia regarding replacement with my black, they told this and that and as per discussion I felt they are not interested to replace my phone. Due to this I am very very upset. Although yellow Lumia 1520 is perfect but I dont want to use this, I like my black colour. Any solution ??

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Put a case on it comes to mind, I think the new upgrade to 8.1 has cured my touch problem, but will have to keep an eye on it to see if it did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720