Too many complaints?

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I, I'm about to replace my 920 for the 1520 or the 930, I'm not sure yet, on the spec sheet the 1520 is winning since the battery is HUGE and it didn't sacrificed glance but I've been reading a lot of complaints about the 1520 like the infamous guy with 6 defective units in a row (which sounds like false for me) or people saying there is a brightness problem unsolved, some battery draining units and so on...

They don't sell the 1520 on my country yet so I'm buying it from ebay but I don't want to be a victim of a low quality control from M$Nokia, for example when the N900 was launched I bought it and the second day it stopped working, had to send it to warranty in New York and it took more than one month to be replaced, sorry for the long post :p:unhappysweat:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
For every naysayer on here, there're probably 10 satisfied customers. I luv my Lumia 1520, bought it on eBay (AT&T version) for $425. It's worked right out of the (sealed) box. I'm currently running WP 8.1 Dev Preview & will NOT be going backwards.

My experience with Nokia has been just the opposite - very good quality control. My last 4 phones have been Nokias (E71, N8, Lumia 920 (wife's phone now) & Lumia 1520. I've been extremely pleased with my Nokias.

I'm sure, on the Samsung forum, there are currently several disgruntled customers because their Galaxy S5 has an issue. Most people won't comment on a forum that their phone is exactly what it should be. Indeed, some people on this forum are here, ONLY because they have an issue with their device.

Take a shot @ happiness, if the Lumia 1520 fits your needs, I'd say go for it. However, if you're shopping on eBay, do your due diligence on the sellers, before you decide to do business.

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ditto - Although it might be more than 10 per 1 :)

I swear I love my 1520 more each day as it gets more and more functionality. I'm kinda expecting it to remove my need for a tablet (with the trade off that it's 6" instead of 8") as WP and Win come closer and closer together. You'd think with iOS office that WP Office should see the love soon!

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna jump in as one of those who replaced a first 1520. I had an issue which was really hardware related. Nokia replaced my unit and I've been using this since Jan. I've really no complaints. Maybe I get an occasional touch not swipe issue but other than that I've been using my 1520 for almost anything it has to offer. I'm glad with my unit. Have even jumped the preview for developers update.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I sincerely believe I researched 1520 complaints/bugs/defects as much as anyone before deciding to purchase. There are probably some members on here that can vouch for this. While any phone you buy can conceivably have a problem or be a lemon, as far as the 1520 is concerned the "only" issue you're going to have to consider is the swipe/tap bug. This seems to be the only consistent flaw, and for the vast majority it hasn't been a big enough issue to warrant replacing the device with another model. I would not worry about having to replace the device 6 times... chances are (as long as you're aware and accepting of the swipe/tap bug) you won't even have to replace it once.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I sincerely believe I researched 1520 complaints/bugs/defects as much as anyone before deciding to purchase. There are probably some members on here that can vouch for this. While any phone you buy can conceivably have a problem or be a lemon, as far as the 1520 is concerned the "only" issue you're going to have to consider is the swipe/tap bug. This seems to be the only consistent flaw, and for the vast majority it hasn't been a big enough issue to warrant replacing the device with another model. I would not worry about having to replace the device 6 times... chances are (as long as you're aware and accepting of the swipe/tap bug) you won't even have to replace it once.

I can vouch for the research you did. It was so much that I originally thought that you were just trying to find faults with the 1520

What you have to remember is that people come on places like here to complain and not all are telling the truth.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I, I'm about to replace my 920 for the 1520 or the 930, I'm not sure yet, on the spec sheet the 1520 is winning since the battery is HUGE and it didn't sacrificed glance but I've been reading a lot of complaints about the 1520 like the infamous guy with 6 defective units in a row (which sounds like false for me) or people saying there is a brightness problem unsolved, some battery draining units and so on...

They don't sell the 1520 on my country yet so I'm buying it from ebay but I don't want to be a victim of a low quality control from M$Nokia, for example when the N900 was launched I bought it and the second day it stopped working, had to send it to warranty in New York and it took more than one month to be replaced, sorry for the long post :p:unhappysweat:

Chris,

Like you I'm a research junkie. When I shop on Amazon I read all the reviews; when I bought a car I joined the fan forums of the vehicles I was interested in, when I look at technology products I do the same. Before I pay money for a movie these days I look to Rotten Tomatoes. It's hugely valuable and with some time and research it's generally not hard to get a decent idea of whether something is a winner or not.

BUT like others have reflected on here, fan forums tend to be disproportionately biased towards problems/issues and support forums (by their very definition) even more so. That's good when you are looking for common problems, not so good when you are trying to judge the quality of a product.

Many moons ago I saw a study from McDonalds that basically said this:

• Every 10 Satisfied Customers COMBINED would tell 1 person that they had a good experience (so you have to make 10 people happy in order for one single person the get a recommendation)

• Every Dissatisfied Customer would tell 10 people that something sucked.

So you basically need 100 satisfied people to simply keep even with the damage that 1 dissatisfied person will do.

Another thing to keep in mind (at least for now) is the volume of people on these forums running Windows 8.1 Developer Preview (I am). If you dig you are going see a lot of issues/gripes at the moment that are very much related to that. That is because 8.1 DP is really a test product and frankly has a fair number of bugs. For a person buying a bone-stock version of the 1520 with the current "stable" version of Windows Phone on it (Windows 8.0 with the Nokia "Black" enhancements) the product works pretty darn well.

I've been exceptionally happy with my 1520 and this will be the 5th Lumia I've owned used for an extended period of time (900, 920, 822, 1020, 1520) my 900 is still sitting in a box somewhere and works perfectly, my 822 has a 64GB MicroSD card in it, is being used as the "family" media device and is also still working great. Saturday I had dinner with a new acquaintance and I'm pretty sure that 5 minutes of looking at the pictures my wife has been taking with her 1020 has made them a convert from the "fruit" phone company.

Nokia IMHO makes great phones and except for the inevitable statistical oddities that will always occur in a manufactured device, they are at least as reliable and bug-free as their competitors.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I came from Androids last March,loved them for all you could ever care to do with them.

I looked at what was available to me at the time and read everything I could about the 1520.

The quality is top notch just as the majority of any of the Nokia line.

As noted some are effected more with the tap and swipe issue and some apps like to get carried away with the 8.1 preview,but this can be remedied easily.

Battery life and screen dimness wasn't a issue before and isn't a issue on mine since I updated to 8.1 preview.

If you can handle the size of the phone,you're going to love it. Some can,some can't. It's not a small phone to slip into your pocket and forget about it,and you'll need to remind yourself every time you do when you're looking at that fantastic big screen.

My advice is to get a nice glass screen protector for it,like I have on mine,and for the times you do carry in with your keys and stuff in there,you'll have more peace of mind about it.

Personally I would not buy off eBay and would find a local retailer some where even if I had to travel to get one. I just don't trust them with this type of purchase. Amazon is better but I don't know if that is available to you.

All in all,I'm exceeding pleased with my 1520 and highly recommend them.

Good luck

Mac

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Glad you enjoy it. I am also happy with my Lumia 1520 although I have reflashed it back to 8.0 as 8.1 has too many bugs at the moment: wifi, facebook posts take forever, lag when returning to homescreen, extreme lag in high graphic games, low cellular signal

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

I can definitely vouch for your research! :grin: I gave you a hard time because I thought you were looking for excuses not to buy the device instead of reading all of the posts that said the phone was problem-free. It sounds like you are having a good experience with your 1520--well done! If you don't mind the off-topic question, how is your mother liking the phone?

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the replies, now I feel a lot more confident in picking up the 1520, I guess that by now my biggest doubt before getting it will be the color and since LTE sucks here in Mexico I guess I'll be rocking the international version with 32gb's of onboard mem and qi wireless charging FTW!.

Now one last question, how much better is the battery on the 1520 when compared to the old 920?, I mean, thats the main reason I'm interested in the 1520 to begin with, right now I have to charge my 920 twice a day....

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Now one last question, how much better is the battery on the 1520 when compared to the old 920?, I mean, thats the main reason I'm interested in the 1520 to begin with, right now I have to charge my 920 twice a day....

Compared to the 920? If I really use it a lot... I go all day... twice as long as the 920 I use to have...

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the replies, now I feel a lot more confident in picking up the 1520, I guess that by now my biggest doubt before getting it will be the color and since LTE sucks here in Mexico I guess I'll be rocking the international version with 32gb's of onboard mem and qi wireless charging FTW!.

Depending on what I use the phone for I can get well over 10 hours of screen on time. I don't play games so it is mainly for web browsing and I don't tent to use the mobile version on the sites I go on.

After 8.1 my battery has improved by about 15% and in standby I loose 0.2% per hour and that is with 18 apps allowed in the background, Bluetooth always on and location always on for use with maps and Cortana.

lsmachado

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Compared to the 920? If I really use it a lot... I go all day... twice as long as the 920 I use to have...

For me, there is no comparison! As much as I loved my 920, I would have to recharge midday most of the time. With my 1520, I can go all day on a single charge and still have 40 to 60% charge at the end of the day (18 hours + off the charger).

I, too love my 1520. It has been relatively problem free, and I've had it since launch day. The couple of minor issues after installing 8.1 preview were easily solved with a factory reset, which took less than 30 minutes for me.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. I'm currently researching and asking alot of questions too. :) I asked wpcentral to do a poll to kind of see the a percentage of those with these issues and those who don't have the swipe/tap bug. Also, I asked if they could ask how often it occurs. (daily, multiple times a day, etc.) I hope they do this. This would help me alot.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Chris,

Like you I'm a research junkie. When I shop on Amazon I read all the reviews; when I bought a car I joined the fan forums of the vehicles I was interested in, when I look at technology products I do the same. Before I pay money for a movie these days I look to Rotten Tomatoes. It's hugely valuable and with some time and research it's generally not hard to get a decent idea of whether something is a winner or not.

BUT like others have reflected on here, fan forums tend to be disproportionately biased towards problems/issues and support forums (by their very definition) even more so. That's good when you are looking for common problems, not so good when you are trying to judge the quality of a product.

Many moons ago I saw a study from McDonalds that basically said this:

• Every 10 Satisfied Customers COMBINED would tell 1 person that they had a good experience (so you have to make 10 people happy in order for one single person the get a recommendation)

• Every Dissatisfied Customer would tell 10 people that something sucked.

So you basically need 100 satisfied people to simply keep even with the damage that 1 dissatisfied person will do.

Another thing to keep in mind (at least for now) is the volume of people on these forums running Windows 8.1 Developer Preview (I am). If you dig you are going see a lot of issues/gripes at the moment that are very much related to that. That is because 8.1 DP is really a test product and frankly has a fair number of bugs. For a person buying a bone-stock version of the 1520 with the current "stable" version of Windows Phone on it (Windows 8.0 with the Nokia "Black" enhancements) the product works pretty darn well.

I've been exceptionally happy with my 1520 and this will be the 5th Lumia I've owned used for an extended period of time (900, 920, 822, 1020, 1520) my 900 is still sitting in a box somewhere and works perfectly, my 822 has a 64GB MicroSD card in it, is being used as the "family" media device and is also still working great. Saturday I had dinner with a new acquaintance and I'm pretty sure that 5 minutes of looking at the pictures my wife has been taking with her 1020 has made them a convert from the "fruit" phone company.

Nokia IMHO makes great phones and except for the inevitable statistical oddities that will always occur in a manufactured device, they are at least as reliable and bug-free as their competitors.

haha research junkie, yeah that's me!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Also double check which of the 1520 you are looking at,, AT&T crippled the 1520 at launch by removing the qi wireless charging and halving the storage. Look for the international version or 1520.3 if you need US Bands.

Edit: Oops I just noticed your post about the LTE being crap in Mexico, looks like I need to drink some coffee or something lol.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I would have a hard time buying any expensive electronics device if I had to send it out of the country if it arrived defective. There is no way I would drop $500-$600 on a phone that I couldn't swap out in my local town.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I would say go for it. I've never had a bad experience with a Nokia phone (which I cannot say about my experiences with BlackBerry and Samsung).

I've had a 920, 1020 and an Icon so far and they've all been amazing. My wife dropped her 920 on concrete several times (4 that I know about, probably more) and didn't so much as chip the adamantium shell on the unit. I've never seen a smart phone so stupidly durable.

I've managed to scuff the paint on my Icon by having it fly free from the cell phone holder a couple times, but zero damage to the screen.

Go for it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea